Recipes for vegetarian

Options
Hii everyone!! I'm trying to find good simple and cheap things to make that is meatless, if anyone has anything good to share please do! ALSO I need to find more things that have lots of protein besides beans lol

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years now.

My diary is open, and you're welcome to take a look. Protein is my main focus, and I aim to get at least 80g a day. :smile:
  • cyrena13
    cyrena13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm also vegetarian. I struggle with the protein thing because the processed soy sources of protein don't settle well with my tummy.

Here's one of my "go to" recipes:

Kale & Lentil

Number of servings 2

Green Lentils, 1 cup dry
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
    Veggie Stock, 1 cup
    Fresh Kale Greens, 6 cups
    Curry Powder, 1/4 tsp
    Cumin, 1 tbsp
    Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp
    Per Serving: 504 calories

I boil the lentil per the directions. In a separate pan, I add chopped kale to olive oil, spices, and vegetable broth. Once the lentils are done, I mixed everything and let them cook together for five minutes.
  • kristenn9715
    kristenn9715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to try that
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    These are really good, and full of protein:
    Lentil tacos
    Ingredients:
    • 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
    • 3 1/2-5 cups water
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 stalk celery
    • 1 clove garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/8 tsp. dried whole thyme
    • 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
    • 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix
    • 8 taco shells
    • 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
    • 1 medium onion, diced
    • 1 large tomato, chopped
    Directions:
    Sort and wash lentils. Combine with water and next 5 ingredients in pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, let simmer 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally and add more water, if needed. When done, remove and discard bay leaf and celery. Combine tomato sauce and taco seasoning in a small bowl; stir well.
    Heat taco shells, spoon in lentil mixture, tomato sauce and other toppings. Enjoy!!
    Serves: 4

Easy Lentil Spread
    Ingredients:
    • 4 oz Lentils
    • 2 teaspoons Tomato Puree
    • 1 Onion Chopped
    • Chilli Powder - to taste
    • Pepper to season
    Directions:
    Serves: 6.
    Preparation time: 20 mins.
    Cook the lentils as instructed on the packet. Boil the onions in a little water to soften. Add the onions to the lentils, add all the other ingredients and put in a food procesor for 1 minute to form a smooth paste. The spread will require chilling in the fridge. The spread does thicken when chilled.
    The spread can be used for sandwiches - add salad to the sandwich. Or you can use the mixture as a dip.

Lentil Burgers
    Ingredients:
    • 1 cup dry lentils
    • 1 onion
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 1/2 tsp chili power
    • 1 tsp liquid smoke
    • 1 tablespoon tamari
    • 1/2 pkg. tofu
    • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    Directions:
    Wash and cover lentils 1/2" with water. Add chopped onion, garlic, chili powder. Cook till tender and add Tamari and liquid smoke. While lentils are cooking, in a blender, chop 1/2 pkg. tofu and add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. When lentils are tender, mix with tofu/flour mixture. This should be thick and easy to spoon onto a hot griddle in the shape of a burger. You may want to add 1 T. of Olive oil on the griddle. Cook on each side.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My usual proteins are pulses, beans, nuts, peanut butter, eggs and dairy.

--Hummus is sooo simple to make. Eat it with carrot/cucumber sticks, as a sauce/dip with your normal meal/salad or in sandwiches/pittas or just with a spoon!
    Just put the following in a blender until smooth (this will made a bowl of it which keeps me going for a while!):

400g can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
    1 tablespoon of tahini (sesame paste - find it near greek/middle eastern foods)
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic depending on preference
    Some oil of your choice to get it to the right consistency (I try to keep that as little as possible to limit calories)

To the above add whatever flavourings you like. Some suggestions are:
    Some lemon juice to taste for more traditional/plain hummus
    Roasted peppers (I use half a jar of roasted pepper antipasti from tesco if you're in the uk - i also use the oil from here as it has a nice flavour)
    (Sweet) Chili sauce
    Pesto
    Have a google and there will be hundreds of ideas!

--I also recently made baked falafels (also a shove it all in a blender type recipe) using this recipe: http://www.instructables.com/id/Baked-Falafel-Recipe/
    I served them with roasted aubergine and a salad, with a tahini dressing - literally just a spoon of tahini mixed with water until the consistency was right!

--Ratatouille (I usually make this as a big batch so I can just take some from the fridge for other meals)
    -chop up a load of veg into 2cm-ish chunks - whatever you have to hand really but traditional is onion, garlic, aubergine/eggplant, courgette/zucchini, bell peppers.
    -Sweat down onions with some oil, then add garlic for a min or two, then add veg to the pan - longest cooking time first until all are browned/softened/cooked a little then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and herbs of choice and simmer until moist but not soupy (around half an hour?) - you can add some water/stock if it's too dry or the tomatoes don't cover enough.
    -Keep it in the fridge and heat some up as a side, cold with salad or warm with pasta/potatoes/bread or add some lentils/potatoes/egg to bulk it up as a stand-alone dish.

--And my new favourite and RIDICULOUSLY EASY thing - homemade banana 'ice cream' -chop a banana into chunks and freeze(put on some baking paper so they don't stick to the plate), then put them in a blender and blend until its the right consistency. DONE! You can add flavouring if you like - I add a bit of vanilla and peanut butter but you could add honey or another fruit or cocoa powder or whatever. And it really does feel like ice cream I promise!