5:2

Options
What are people's thoughts on the 5:2 diet? Has anyone had any success with it?

Replies

• waynewillis212
    Options
    Is this the Fasting Diet? 5 days normal 2 days restricted calories?
  • hayleyhewett93
    Options
    Yes it is :D
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is doing it with great success. She loves the freedom on 5 days and sticks to 500 on 2 days. Most 5 days she doesn't even track calories unless she hits a plateau on the scale. I think it can be a good tool when done right and fully researched first. Good luck! :)
  • tikkii2
    tikkii2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have had great success with this.

I'm hoping to start it myself next week. It's too restrictive at the moment with study and exams.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's a few threads on it if you use the "search" button. Also a few active groups dedicated to followers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's a few threads on it if you use the "search" button. Also a few active groups dedicated to followers.

this

i know a lot of people who have had success on it, its an eating style that works well for some, but it doesnt appeal to me at all.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It doesn't appeal to me, but I have read a couple of articles about the benefits of it for type 2 diabetes, because it doesn't appeal to me I've never really looked further into it, don't know if I would be able to maintain my exercise on the fast days!!
  • hayleyhewett93
    Options
    I watched a documentary on it and apparently it is healthy, but I am not sure how starving yourself can be that healthy :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary on it and apparently it is healthy, but I am not sure how starving yourself can be that healthy :/

its not starving yourself, its just reducing your calories to make a deficit on 2 days of the week.

in your postition, with only a few pounds to lose TDEE -10% would be sufficient.
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 5-2 for two months now. It is fairly easy to do and I have managed to maintain my weight over all the long weekends we have been having recently in the UK. Monday is fast day and is really very easy because over the weekends |I tend to over indulge and need to detox. The first week I had headaches and after that no problems. There are a number of people that do the diet to support their spouse and are already thin slim and gorgeous, but benefit for increased energy levels. Yes your energy levels increase, maybe because you detox regularly. Thursday is my second gast day and sometimes it can be quite difficult especially in the morning. Good luck if you are going to give it a try.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly love to try this but I seriously doubt I'd be able to eat so little on two days..
    Might try it at least one week!
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I follow 5:2 as I find only having to seriously restrict 2 days of the week is far friendlier (to me) than all 7 days. I do still count on my non-fast days, as I'm coming from overeating a lot (3000kcal average sort of thing) to the average for women of 2000kcal, so I find it good to keep myself in check.

As for restricting yourself to such a small amount on your fast days, well...

I had a steak dinner last night (on a fast day)... nice chunk of rump steak, jacket tater and some greenery. That was about 400kcal.

And the other week I had a huge chicken and bacon casserole with a jacket tater... don't get me started on my love of couscous on a fasting day (100kcal for 100g cooked, plus 7kcal for a chicken stockcube it's cooked in? Heaven with grilled chicken/fish and veggies/salad).

It doesn't work for everyone, but I love counting and love being able to go right up to 2000kcal on most days, so yes, I can have 4 biscuits and a cuppa, thank you very much.

There are a few groups for 5:2 (or 4:3... or 6:1) out there, and all are helpfully supportive and can give honest opinions (good & bad) on it all, if you want to seek them out.