I sit all day and every hour I stand up an do 20 squats.

Options
Do you think this is making any difference at all? Does anyone else know of any other things I can be doing?

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You could do more squats or try to do them twice an hour. Over a few days you should notice your tushie's a little sore :wink:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I say yes you are toning your legs. You could also bring in some light weights for your arms. You could do those when your hands aren't busy.

I sit all day too but I get to get up and walk the halls if I want. And I work at a Lockheed Martin site so there are a lot of connecting hallways.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think that is a GREAT idea! It keeps you moving and breaks up the sedentary work style.

I also work at a job where I sit almost all day. I get up as much as possible. Every thing I print out or whatever, I get up.
    When it is warmer outside some of my co-workers will go out to the warehouse and hula-hoop for fun.

Sometimes I will get up and do squats too! :bigsmile:
    When it warms up again, I will start taking small walks around the outside of the building to help.

Any extra movement is a GREAT idea! Keep it up!

NOTE: One of my husband's co-workers doesn't sit in a chair, she sits on one of those exercise balls. It promotes good posture and keeps your body in check with keeping yourself in balance. I might try that one of these days, BUT my boss just bought me a new chair, so I don't want to be rude....... yet.... :laugh:
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, it's gonna make a difference! Keep up the good work, just don't use it as an excuse to not get a good cardio workout before or after work. Cardio is very important for your health and your fitness goals.

Climb stairs whenever you have the chance! If you're on a break, take a few minutes to go up and down the stairs several times.

You can also contract and relax your abs while seated to get in a little extra ab work. Again though, not replacing an ab workout.

Can you do pushups?

Get up and walk around when you can and walk fast.

Just a few ideas. :)
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    excellent idea!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    You could get one of those exercise pedals that you sit and do and pedal your day away! :laugh:

Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Stationary-Bike-Pedal-Exerciser-Assembled/dp/B000MGG9UC
  • williamtl
    Options
    I sit all day too and every trip to the restroom I always use the large stall. A co-worker showed me how to do pushups off the wall. I overlap my fingertips and try to hold my wrists and elbows as closely as possible. Stand back at a comfortable distance and push away from the wall. You should feel the pull in the back of your arms. I started a couple of months ago and I have made tremendous strides with my batwings!
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What a great idea....I will have to try doing squats at work.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I used this link when I worked in an office:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I'm sure every little bit helps...
    here's another link
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/at-work-5-cubicle-friendly-toning-exercises/
  • rawdefault
    Options
    Great idea!
    You could also try adding in a little cardio. Maybe 50 - 200 jumping jacks (depending on how fit your are, just work your way up!), butt kicks, jog in place, or jump rope (which you can do without a rope!)