Should I be upset with myself?

Options
This morning I had a light breakfast, about 340 calories(eggs, and bran cereal). For lunch I had a banana, and a slice of whole grain bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter (250 calories). When I got home I had a whey protein shake with half a cup of strawberries, and a half cup of skim milk(around 165). Then I went for a 3 mile run and burned 300 calories. My goal is 2,030 calories a day, and at this point in the day I had a net of close to 680. Then I went to my grandparents(they always prepare great, calorie dense meals). Anyway, I had about 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes with 1/4 cup of gravy, some white chicken(skinless), 1 and 1/2 white corn on the cob, and some salad with ginger dressing, all totaling up to about 900 calories. Then I went outside, ran around with my little brother and played basketball, and went on a walk to the park!(running around for around an hour and a half). When I got back to grandmas, she had fixed brownies, and ice cream(I don't see her often so she loves to feed us). She put about 3 brownies on my plate and a big scoop of ice cream, and I was hungry so I ate. I added everything(except for the running around outside) onto MFP and I went over by 400 calories! I feel so ashamed! Should I be? I had a great week this week! Any tips?

Replies

• ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be ashamed at all! Sounds like you had a great day! If you had a great week, just chalk it up to a one day thing and move on. Start fresh tomorrow.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be ashamed at all! Sounds like you had a great day! If you had a great week, just chalk it up to a one day thing and move on. Start fresh tomorrow.

I don't want to gain :(
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You won't gain form one or two days of over eating.
    Think of it as a treat meal and enjoy your family time.
    just go back to your healthy eating for the rest of the week and
    stay active:)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If eating over your calories makes you fell ashamed, you may want to re-evaluate your relationship with food.
    Being over 400 cals isn't a big deal, you probably still ate at a deficit. And you/we are allowed to have at least a day a week to enjoy food without the stress. Just do some extra exercise tomorrow and drink lots of water. Problem solved!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You can make up your calorie deficit with an extra workout and a few good days eating. You CANNOT ever make up disappointing your happy granny. Just don't go for dessert every day! BTW, 900 sounds really high for the meal you had unless there was a lot of heavy cream in the gravy and potatoes.

Picture your happy happy grandma whose night you just made and get on with the calorie goals and workouts tomorrow.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Hell on Easter I went over by a 1000. I logged it, enjoyed the hell out of it, and went back to what I'd been doing before. I lost my weight and am now in maintenance. One meal doesn't make you gain a million pounds. Overeating consistently does. I also eat what I want in moderation. Donuts, pizza, ice cream, sugary cereal, ham, pepperoni, bacon, sausage, corn on the cob, potatoes, brownies, muffins, cupcakes and roasted chicken without problems, too. I have to LIVE with my diet. I'm not going to live on bran, protein bars and (bah!) whey shakes. I suggest you try eating your grandparent's food in moderation, change out the 3 brownies and ice cream for smaller portions and stop depriving yourself into being desperate for real freaking food!

I'm a 44 yr old female with the energy to kick box competitively and weight lift heavy. I'm 5'9" and 145lbs. I'm not some kid with a young metabolism. I also gave birth to 2 ten pound babies about 20 yrs ago. A normal diet is entirely doable!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If eating over your calories makes you fell ashamed, you may want to re-evaluate your relationship with food.
    Being over 400 cals isn't a big deal, your probably still ate at a deficit. And you/we are allowed to have at least a day a week to enjoy food without the stress. Just do some extra exercise tomorrow and drink lots of water. Problem solved!

i was thinking this …

OP you are heading for a eating disorder…please reevaluate your relationship with food, and, if necessary, seek professional help...
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed. But do not feel bad to say, only one brownie for me next time. You have control over what you eat and people will push food onto you and youhave to be the one to say no. You won't hurt feelings. Not a big deal, you will be back at it tomorrow!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You had a great day... and spent it with family you don't see often, nothing wrong with splurging a little every now and then. Besides, the calories per day is great, but your body doesn't really care what day you were over or under... I found I relaxed so much more, when i stopped worrying so much about per day calories; If I'm under goal that week I'm happy. If you were under goal 400 calories on any previous day this week or month ... or added up from several days you wont be gaining at all, for that matter you have a bit of a cushion anyway you just wont loose as fast. Enjoy life, and don't panic over a good day that ended with grandma feeding you a touch too much.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed. But do not feel bad to say, only one brownie for me next time. You have control over what you eat and people will push food onto you and youhave to be the one to say no. You won't hurt feelings. Not a big deal, you will be back at it tomorrow!
    +1
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely NOT be upset with yourself. Remember that your target probably incorporates a deficit (if you are set to lose weight). If you had a good week, 400 calories over one day shouldn't cause you to gain. I agree with what others have said. You have to enjoy those special family times.

You said you don't see your grandma very often; let her spoil you a bit when you do. If you're that worried, put a little extra on your workouts over the weekend and be a couple hundred under goal for a couple days. In the future, when you have a visit planned and you know you're likely to go over, aim for a hundred under goal for the days leading up so you know you have some extra deficit saved up to enjoy your grandparents' great food (enjoy it while it lasts).
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely NOT be upset with yourself. Remember that your target probably incorporates a deficit (if you are set to lose weight). If you had a good week, 400 calories over one day shouldn't cause you to gain. I agree with what others have said. You have to enjoy those special family times.

You said you don't see your grandma very often; let her spoil you a bit when you do. If you're that worried, put a little extra on your workouts over the weekend and be a couple hundred under goal for a couple days. In the future, when you have a visit planned and you know you're likely to go over, aim for a hundred under goal for the days leading up so you know you have some extra deficit saved up to enjoy your grandparents' great food (enjoy it while it lasts).

Thank you :)