Binge eating help!

Options
So, I thought I was doing really good this evening. I measured out my food and only ate what I measured. Well, I was watching Grey's Anatomy (LOVE IT!!) and 'thought' I was still hungry. In the end I ended up eating 3.5 hot dogs (salt...YEP!) and I wasn't hungry. I know it was from the fact that all I was doing was sitting on my butt and watching TV. This is my biggest problem...if I get bored, sad, depressed, angry, happy, etc. I binge eat then I feel bad and berate myself afterward. Someone mentioned I should contact overeaters annoymous but there are not meetings in my area. Idk what to do and I know if I don't get this under control I'm going to end up right back where I started and in worse shape than I am now!

Replies

• bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Do you do anything like knitting, crocheting, or needlework (cross stitch, embroidery, needlepoint)? I find if I keep my hands busy even while watching TV that I don't eat.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I went to treatment for binge eating disorder about a year ago and it was based on (the first edition) of this book: Overcoming Binge Eating, Second Edition: The Proven Program to Learn Why You Binge and How You Can Stop by Christopher G. Fairburn

You can also check into Overeaters Anonymous meetings online or on the phone.
  • allybird2
    allybird2 Posts: 45
    Options
    There are multiple factors that play a role in Binge Eating, everybody I know including myself who has suffered from it has been able to fix it from:
    -not restricting
    -'bingeing' on whole, nutritious foods (eating 5 apples is better than a piece of cake)
    -keeping busy during activities such AS watching Grey's Anatomy (LOVE IT TOO!!)

and there are so many other things you can do to prevent it, 30 days to break a habit and binge eating is definitely a bad one!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There are OA meetings online. They are if you feel you have a food addiction. (compulsive over eating, bulimia, anorexia etc...)

There is a difference between having a food addiction and have food issues.

Food issues would be (especially women on MFP for some reason) not eating enough. They automatically but the lowest setting for calories (1200) even if they aren't practically bedridden. This is especially true if they work out. BTW, walking is working out, cleaning the house is working out, gardening is working out, cleaning the garage is working out.....see? The body freaks out because it's calorie deficiency is lower than what the person needs to survive IE build muscle, cell regeneration, internal organs working and basically staying alive. Starving yourself is not good even if you are heavy. Before you decide you have a food addiction see if you're not starving yourself and triggering binges. I'm betting your body was after protein, not salt, in those hotdogs!
  • allybird2
    allybird2 Posts: 45
    Options
    Extremely well said. If your body is craving certain foods, it may be that it's actually being deprived of the nutrition.
  • hjblackburn26
    Options
    @bodiva88: Sometimes I do either read or play with my son but if I'm not super busy like I am at work I will think that I'm hungry and start eating.

@nancy10272004: Thanks! I will look into that book!

@allybird2 and PJPrimrose: Thank you both for the advice!!
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I noticed that I would always overeat in the evening ( not morning or at work).
    So, I've tried to save calories, within my allotment, for that time.

Sounds like you are under enough pressure now. Would you have time for a short walk or some kind motion after dinner to lessen tv time? It might help any stress you might be feeling. Also try to get enough sleep so that you aren't feeding your fatigue.

Good luck.
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It was a slip. It happens. Pick yourself up and tomorrow, you'll learn from today. (Also hot dogs, while high in sodium are between 100-150 calories depending on brand and meat type, so it could have been way worse.)

There are a lot of the people on MFP (myself included) who have struggled with binge eating. It is hard. I understand the feeling sthat come with after a binge. You need to learn to love yourself and just keep going. It took me a long time to come to terms with that. It's easier to hear and think that you should like yourself as you are than it is to do it, but you are and you can. There is a great support system on MFP if you ever feel like you are slipping again.

As for OEA, I tried it, and I found it a little rigid for me. It may work for you. There are virtual meetings for the program, I believe. I attended a couple. The program didn't work for me personally, but I do know a person who has been greatly involved in OEA for decades and went from almost 400 lbs to his current 190-ish with it. I can ask a couple questions if you message me.

If it was just mindless eating in this instance (which it sounds a bit like it was). Try keeping around things that are low calorie but high volume to snack on. Air popped popcorn, cucumber slices, peppers, roasted seaweed (know that one sounds weird, but it's delicious), and just other healthier snacks. Also, drink water during that time. It'll give your brain enough time to catch up with what you were eating before and tell you that you are full.
  • hjblackburn26
    Options
    To all the women: it's almost that time....do you all feel more hungry during that time and tend to overeat? I think that might be my problem.
  • GR8DAY7
    GR8DAY7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was having mental arguments every day/night. "I'm done eating...but I want this....but I'm not hungry...but eat it anyway". I would never consider taking meds, swore I'd never do it for my weight (or anything else unless I was sick). But after years of trying, exercising (tried all kinds of worksouts from yoga to Insanity), eating right (not much of a junk foodie in the past, just too much food), I went to a "real" weight loss doctor, not a clinic. I asked her what was wrong with me,or what was I doing wrong. After some testing I found out my metabolism was running about 15% less than normal (thyroid was fine). She stated I had to lower my intake to 1400 calories a day. I tought I was going to cry. How will I do that! I was tracking between 1650 -1900 calories a day. By all calculations, that would be about right for my weight/height/activity. She suggested several drugs which I, in the past, I would never have consider. But,after going home and doing some research, I choose one, Belviq. What a difference, basically it quieted my brain, which is how is it supposed to work. It helps by telling your brain you are full. The day I took it I noticed right away the "quiet". That first evening was great! I wasn't hungry, or having the "eat it anyway" conversation in my head. The first week I lost 2 lbs, the second, 6 (that's a bit much), nothing the 3rd (balancing out I guess) and working on week 4 now.
    I would never in my life have though I would recommend a drug, but if you can get to a good doctor, see if this might work for you. Good luck!
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Is eating 3 hotdogs a binge?
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad. 3.5 hotdogs really isn't a binge. I'm 5' and my usual binge was something like 7 doughnuts, 2 candy bars, half a pizza, and half a box of cereal... at dinnertime on top of the calories I had eaten that day. Yeaaah.... last month was a bad month for me. I undid 50% of my weightloss within one month. Crazy.

So I figured out that my triggers are processed carbs and sugary items, boredom, and depression. I do like mindlessly eating while watching shows too, so I try to keep busy while watching my shows. I started getting on my bike or doing crunches while watching shows. I just try to be aware of my mindless eating.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It's a pain for all of us I would imagine. I mostly try to insert the thought:

What is this food going to do FOR me?

Before I insert said food into my mouth.

Maybe it's because I'm a guy it's easier for me to imagine my body as a machine and the food as fuel. If REALLY want to get a Mt. Dew, my personal Nirvana, I know exactly how much more work I am going to have to do to "pay" for it. Most days, if I can force in a moment of thought before the food, I realize I don't need it and I almost certainly don't want to spend the extra time paying for it.

A few hot dogs isn't a big deal, but it helps to appreciate that a few minutes of satiation comes at a real world cost of an hour or so on the treadmill if those calories were not needed.
  • memeth
    memeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I love the binging on fruit idea, my provlem is with binging I just want to eat crap. I started buying sugar free ice pops to eat so I can eat those when I feel a binge coming on. I've rededicated myself to this so feel free to friend me.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me is to stay away from watching tv alone as much as I can. I always binge while alone and watching tv so if I avoid that "activity" that i associate with binging, I can avoid the behavior. I still watch tv with my fiancée, but I won't eat like I do in secret with him around. I guess I have a real problem, but for now, spending my time doing other things has been working for me. Good luck!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, it's habit for me. Try and find something else to do with your hands. I had to stop leaving food near my computer or tv because it was eaiser for me to not eat while doing those things. Mostly because I'm lazy, and if I have to get up for something, I'm less likely to do so! But I've found if I'm doing something with my hands, sketching or sewing or what have you, I don't feel the urge to eat unless I'm actually hungry.
  • connorsw95
    connorsw95 Posts: 15
    Options
    if you can identify the culprit for the binge eating it might be easier to control - if you find yourself binging when you're tired this is probably your body's way of signalling that it's tired as food = energy so maybe try to get to sleep earlier?If it's when you're bored as others have suggested try finding another outlet for boredom to take your mind off eating. Drinking oceans of water may help too, I always find myself less tempted to binge on higher calorie foods when I've worked out in the daytime because it reminds me of how much exertion is actually required to burn off those calories. You've worked hard, look at your before and after pictures whenever you're tempted but don't deny yourself a blowout occasionally it's natural and infrequent calorie spikes can actually be advantageous when dieting to keep your body guessing. good luck :)
  • SleepKoala
    SleepKoala Posts: 26
    Options
    I have such a problem with binging at night. Last night for example.. had 2 salami and cheese sandwiches with some pepsi. I felt so awful afterwards. I do a lot of little arts and crafts to keep myself busy at night but it's when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep.. I just GET UP and EAT. No idea why.. some nights i'm not even that hungry but I go for it. It's such a bad habit. Any ideas ?

Also, have you ever had that insane snacking munchy feel after a nap? My issues always revolves around sleep. : /

I found the online OA really didn't help. I do hope it works for you and others with the same problem.. and the hobbies for keeping busy. None of it seems to work for me >.<
  • KonTrary24
    KonTrary24 Posts: 2
    Options
    that's a good advice. I have exact same problem. I'm too embarrassed to say to my boyfriend to keep an eye on me, so I guess from today I will start trying to avoid watching stuff too. thanks!