Couch to 5k

Options
Has anyone tried to couch to 5K I'm thinking about taking it up!

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yes--it is awesome! There is a special group here on C25k if you want more info. Some great "sticky" threads there.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Join us on the forum titled: c25k spring 2014
    There are great people on there that are posting about their progress. I'll send you a FR
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Made a runner out of me at the ripe old age of 43. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    here's the link to the thread…hope this works…

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/20473-c25k-spring-2014
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried to couch to 5K I'm thinking about taking it up!

Lots of advice in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k- but there are lots of people on the board who have used it. Personally I used it about 13 months ago and now routinely run 30-40km per week.
  • lykostobias
    lykostobias Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's how I started running a year ago and now I run 18 miles a week. Didn't hurt the weight loss ticker either. Highly recommend it.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    LOVED THE PROGRAM. I used it several times over the last few years... I now run minimum of 3 miles per run... and my max distance is 12 miles in a single run.

It is all about training well... baby steps and this program does it for you....

I will tell you this.. if you have a super hard day.. and dont think you can finish... just repeat the day. That worked for me!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's great. Can't say it turned me into a runner, but it gave me the confidence to start other activities I enjoy and when I started I couldn't run for more than 60 seconds.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've just started week five, i love it. It's incredible seeing how much stronger your body gets with every run. I thought i'd never even make it past the first day!
    it's the most enjoyable exercise i am taking part in at the moment
  • Gyyu
    Gyyu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    haha we have that same program going on now at our Y xD Couch to 5k! It doesnt look too difficult to do(the longest you run is 3.5 miles and thats once).
    You run twice a week
    run/walk 3 times a week(so a jog)
    rest twice a week.
    Good luck!
  • Sptfrgrl17
    Sptfrgrl17 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am a non runner and started this program. I did weeks 1 and 2 no problem at all, then i started week 3 and started t get really bad shin splints. Took a month off, in that month i biked like crazy and did strength building exercises and stretches for my shins. The pain went away completely and I went this week and after 2 days of week 3 my shins are hurting so bad i can hardly walk. its very frustrating bec physically I feel like I can do the program but its just my shins! I signed up for a 5K about a month and a half ago thinking I would be able to run it in the beginning of June....now I am not so sure =/ anyone else experience issues with shin splints? If so how did you get past it??!!
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am a non runner and started this program. I did weeks 1 and 2 no problem at all, then i started week 3 and started t get really bad shin splints. Took a month off, in that month i biked like crazy and did strength building exercises and stretches for my shins. The pain went away completely and I went this week and after 2 days of week 3 my shins are hurting so bad i can hardly walk. its very frustrating bec physically I feel like I can do the program but its just my shins! I signed up for a 5K about a month and a half ago thinking I would be able to run it in the beginning of June....now I am not so sure =/ anyone else experience issues with shin splints? If so how did you get past it??!!

I would change my shoes. Shoes make a huge difference in a lot of workouts, but especially running. I have running shoes, I have zumba shoes, and I have cross trainers. You can go to a running specialty shop and get fitted for shoes that can really help with the shin pain.
  • Sptfrgrl17
    Options
    that is not a bad idea. I did buy new shoes but I don;t think they are specific for shin pain
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing C25K now, and I love it! I never thought I would be a runner (more like jogger), but I can honestly say that I AM a runner. Give it a try!
  • Courtee1213
    Courtee1213 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great support, I'm really excited to start this... I even have a friend that's willing to do it with me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The pain went away completely and I went this week and after 2 days of week 3 my shins are hurting so bad i can hardly walk. its very frustrating bec physically I feel like I can do the program but its just my shins! I

I would suggest reviewing the traffic in the group I linked to upthread, there is a lot of very good practical advice there, equally a lot of support form people at different stages in the programme, and a few who have used it as the basis for our running.

With respect to shin splints, there are a number of potential causes, which include:

Running form - Overstriding, pronation of the foot on landing - This needs focus on taking a short stride and pushing forward with the leg to propell yourself. I find that increasing my cadence helps, so listening to music with an appropariate bpm is useful for that.
    Shoes being inappropriate, badly fitting or worn out - Different people have different needs in their shoes, there are lots of threads on here along the lines of what shoes, those that know what they're on about suggest going and getting fitted for shoes, some people just spount get brand x, they're greeeaaattttt. The latter isn't helpful. I'm an overpronator, so I need a motion control/ stability shoes. Someone who supinates needs a more cushioned shoe, someone in the middle needs a neutral shoe. Overpronation is a frequent cause of shin splints.
    Muscle imbalance between the shin and calf. You've identified that having tried this it hasn't done the trick.
    Overload - Going too far or too fast, too soon. The use of a programme like C25K helps mitigate this for new runners, although the first couple of weeks are quite a step change for many. It may be that your pace is too high. That said, as you've identified that you went from being a non runner, to two weeks of walk run, then took a month off I'd suggest starting from scratch. The gains you made in the first two weeks have disappeared having had a month of no running, so you probably have overdone it.

I trust that helps.
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm doing the program right now, never been a runner. Love it, I'm at week 5 day 2 as today. Do it!!!
    :wink:
  • isabellaverburg
    isabellaverburg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried it and loved it till I got shin splints from running (sigh). Switched to the elliptical since it doesn't cause as much wear and tear on me and torches nearly as many calories. Seemed like an effective way to get there.
  • Sptfrgrl17
    Options
    That is all great advice. Thank You! I had thought about starting from scratch but for some reason thought I would be able to start right up again. Wishful thinking. I think you are right about the shoes. Hopefully I can get a ride to the big city and get shoes that are built for my feet and posture etc. During my month off I did go buy new running shoes, however I they are most likely not built FOR people with shin splints. Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it! Not everyone takes the time to give constructive advice =) Starting back at the beginning is better than not starting at all!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I finished week one day three today and I'm actually looking forward to starting next week! Early days I know!

I know I'm only new at it, but my number one tip which I saw on another thread on here is DON'T ACTUALLY RUN!!!! - I tried and failed at starting c25k twice previously because I was going too hard in the 'running' sections. You should jog, slowly - work on pacing/stamina for now and worry about speed later. Apparently the advice from the creators of c25k is something along the lines of 'if you could jog slower, you're going too fast'. So wish I had known that before my first attempt!

Good luck!