Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
The-Big-Fat-Surprise.jpg

LOL. Not that I disagree with the title of the book, butter meat and cheese certainly can be incorporated into a healthy diet. But this appears to be yet another pseudoscience book. Having read Taubes' work, Harcombe, Perlmutter and Dr Davis' work it's pretty easy to spot pseudoscience. This was by far my favorite quote from the interview
Mashable: Throughout the book you call various health advocates to task for cherry-picking data to make their case. Couldn't the same charge be levied at you?

NT: I think it's pretty clear in my book that I go through all the studies. The reason this book took me so long is that I read through all the literature and the literature often contradicted what I came to believe was true. I also came to this topic with no preconceived notions. I was a vegetarian, and I was hard to convince. It took me a long time of reckoning with the actual data to come to believe what I did.

So somehow she read all available literature on this subject and still came up with an asinine hypothesis. Wonder if she had the same fact checker Taubes that let's her print nonsense and miss basic facts?

http://mashable.com/2014/05/15/nina-teicholz-bacon-saturated-fats/

http://www.drfranklipman.com/big-fat-surprise-a-conversation-with-nina-teicholz/

Inb4buttheressomanyrefrences

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Great, just what the world needs another pseudo scientific book.. Internet trolls rejoice!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    If it's longer than, "Because it is delicious," the book is too long.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    lols
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    Another vegan converted and with an inherent need to believe in something has created another bias swinging pendulum......not surprising.

In before meat/cheese/butter is correlated to all the diseases of mankind.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    The-Big-Fat-Surprise.jpg

LOL. Not that I disagree with the title of the book, butter meat and cheese certainly can be incorporated into a healthy diet. But this appears to be yet another pseudoscience book. Having read Taubes' work, Harcombe, Perlmutter and Dr Davis' work it's pretty easy to spot pseudoscience. This was by far my favorite quote from the interview
    Mashable: Throughout the book you call various health advocates to task for cherry-picking data to make their case. Couldn't the same charge be levied at you?

NT: I think it's pretty clear in my book that I go through all the studies. The reason this book took me so long is that I read through all the literature and the literature often contradicted what I came to believe was true. I also came to this topic with no preconceived notions. I was a vegetarian, and I was hard to convince. It took me a long time of reckoning with the actual data to come to believe what I did.

So somehow she read all available literature on this subject and still came up with an asinine hypothesis. Wonder if she had the same fact checker Taubes that let's her print nonsense and miss basic facts?

http://www.drfranklipman.com/big-fat-surprise-a-conversation-with-nina-teicholz/

At first I was all like DAMN STRAIT. And then the section in bold made my brain sad. Any good scientist should be able to say "we don't know yet" and leave it at that. Belief has no place in a scientific discussion. There's what can be proven, what can not be proven, and what is not yet known.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The-Big-Fat-Surprise.jpg

At first I was all like DAMN STRAIT. And then the section in bold made my brain sad. Any good scientist should be able to say "we don't know yet" and leave it at that. Belief has no place in a scientific discussion. There's what can be proven, what can not be proven, and what is not yet known.

That is the best sentence I've read today on MFP. People would be so much better off if they took this to heart. These forums would be much more boring, however.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options

This!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    The-Big-Fat-Surprise.jpg

I want to get this book... but only so I can frame the cover and put it on my wall.

The rest will just make good kindling for my fireplace...
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Right? The title basically had me at "Butter."
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

1bdc2018-931f-4895-94af-13d7b1c3ba46_zpsf4376b34.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options

Kerrygold anyone.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzG66IEgDsbKkwg2uS0FTrZd4tIkIOG-n381wjdDGFY7o1O7IPLA
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Kerrygold anyone.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzG66IEgDsbKkwg2uS0FTrZd4tIkIOG-n381wjdDGFY7o1O7IPLA

This is in my fridge

PlugraUnsaltedButter8oz.jpg?osCsid=4de25f9f1697f938bada6bbfe9a9952d
  • explorerst4x4
    explorerst4x4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was watching the author on some TV show yesterday. She took a spoon, dipped it in a pan full of grease and ate it. My stomach just rolled. Sic...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL that was EXACTLY what I was thinking. Stole the words write off my keyboard.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    +10000
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept nonetheless...but if anyone wants to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, you should check out Paleo Diet. I've written a book about it. Check it out on my website http://jodyrew.com/ for more in depth information and who knows, it maybe just what you need :)

Introductory post: SPAM

Nice....