Running rain or shine

Options
Where's the limit?
Does anyone feel like a drowned rat if they run in the rain?
Any advice?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It's only a bother if you are suffering from the illusion of staying dry...

In summer, I find rain a pleasant change from the heat :happy:
  • Imcreatingmyself
    Options
    I'll run in the cold, but not the rain. Hate soggy shoes!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Can probably count my rainy runs on one hand. One was in the mid-40's and lasted about 90 minutes (shorts and t-shirt - brrrrrrr!!). More recently, it was mid-50's and lasted about 2.5 hrs (meh). This morning, I went out to start running, and it started raining before I turned on my GPS watch. It was about mid-40's, but since I hadn't even started, I went back inside and hit my NordicTrack skiier instead. I guess the rain doesn't bother me too much if I'm already running.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good run in the rain, but we don't usually get a ton of it, so it's more of a novelty for me when rain falls on a run day. :smile: I have the luxury of running at almost any time of day, so can often wait for a break from heavy rain. I prefer a light rain rather than getting pounded in a downpour, but it's happened while I was out there. Kinda fun to be the "crazy one" out in the weather, smiling all the way.

I won't go if there's a threat of thunder storms, but plain ol' rain - bring it on. The hardest part is getting out the door - once you're out there, the wet doesn't matter so much. Plus, I figure training in all sorts of conditions is good - you never know what it's going to be like on race day.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses, no contacts, and can't see to run if my lenses get speckled. So I do indoor workouts on rainy days.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. The joy of running is that you get to be outside -- and, yes -- exposed to the elements.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There are few things better than running in warm rain.
    Cold rain, not so fun, but really not as bad as one would expect. It really comes down to your clothing. Loose clothing is not fun wet. A light windbreaker type jacket over top to keep the wind off helps me. And a billed hat.

My cut off is freezing rain. Slippery, bitter cold, and wet, no thanks.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles every morning rain or shine. I got caught bad about halfway yesterday with nowhere to hide and had to finish as wet as if I'd jumped in the shower with my clothes on. Still better than the hot and humid norm round here.
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is there more realism to it?
    *example if your joining the military.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain, it's nice and refreshing and all depending you feel hardcore after since you ran while some others chickened out :)
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm always wet at the end of a run. I don't mind running in the rain, but it IS always a little harder to get out the door when it's coming down.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any advice?

Just run

The only think for me is being visible to cage dwellers, who seem to lose the ability to drive safely in heavy rain.

I don't mind it, but it can put some routes out of commission
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't run is when its icy out and like to run in the rain.I did put a frantic call into my hubby during a bad storm this winter as it started hailing and although on the way out it was hitting my back as face of ice on the way home was not nice.
  • NatUnix
    NatUnix Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I live in Shrewsbury Shropshire . UK. I love running with a partner but not running alone. I like having another person reliant on your attendance as it supports me to be motivated.
    I've joined a running group to try and create the same effect but it isn't really the same as no one knows if I don't go so I've found myself missing a few nights.
    The running group is twice a week but so far I've been 4 times in seven weeks. Not good :( I do do other exercise and fitness.
    It would be great to make friends on here to add to my profile to support each other.

Anyone interested :)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    the limit- can I see my way or the potholes ???
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorite condition is probably light showers. Heavy rain is tough. Soggy shoes, wet clothes, just makes the experience tougher in my opinion.