Can I lose 20lbs in 2 months..? 40 in 4?

Options
There's two different questions, but they're basically the same. Anyways, in two months I go to Seattle. And I want to be a smaller pant size. I do want to be smaller than a 14. Actually I hope to be comfortably in an 11 if possible. Then two months later, I get back in school, and I want to be even smaller. More like around a 7. I hope to be a 3-5 by roughly next February. That's about 73 pounds in about 9 months if possible. I want to go from 182, to 109. But til then, I want to be about 160 in July, and 140 in September. If that's possible! I'm 5'3, 182 pounds. I think I'm like a 32 inch waist. (Or something along those lines.) I wear a 14 @ old navy , but they're a little big. And 12's are a little small. I measure at my belly button. Is it possible to lose 20 in 2, and 40 in 4...?

If so, can I have some tips to get it off? I have such a hard time because I check back like three days later and I'm like 4 pounds heavier and I feel SO bad and I feel like giving up. Also I can't do too much exercise because I'm really busy with school.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    NO.

2lbs / week is very good. 1lb / week is more realistic for most people. You might lose more the first week or two due to water weight.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's good to set the bar high for yourself. 10lbs a month isn't impossible, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. I lost 15 my first month, but I was 100+ overweight. Don't get down on yourself if you aren't losing as quickly as you would like though. You didn't gain 40 pounds in 4 months now did you? Set MfP to sedentary with a 2lb per week goal. Never eat less than your calorie goal and add some moderate exercise so your net equals your goal minus 250 calories. If you are logging everything accurately you should be losing about 10lbs every 4 weeks or so. Scale weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in water weight every day so don't worry what the scale says. Take your measurements each week and you will see the results in the inches lost. Tape don't lie! Remember use exercise to create your calorie deficit. Never eat under your calorie goal. Good luck!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I lost pretty fast. February 4th I weighed 162. Now on May 15 I am 135. I think that's around 1-2 pounds a week.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. 2 pounds a week is all the more you should be losing to keep it healthy and sustainable. (meaning you won't gain it all right back.)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. Will it be healthy? Probably not. Will you? At your size, there's a good chance you can lose 10. Don't let that deter you however. Healthy changes are for life and when you stick with it, it should all be worth it :) In the mean time, you CAN lose inches quicker by eating healthy and adding some strength training. That might help you with your size goals quicker than just watching weight will :) Good luck!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. 2 pounds a week is all the more you should be losing to keep it healthy and sustainable. (meaning you won't gain it all right back.)

^This.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There's two different questions, but they're basically the same. Anyways, in two months I go to Seattle. And I want to be a smaller pant size. I do want to be smaller than a 14. Actually I hope to be comfortably in an 11 if possible. Then two months later, I get back in school, and I want to be even smaller. More like around a 7. I hope to be a 3-5 by roughly next February. That's about 73 pounds in about 9 months if possible. I want to go from 182, to 109. But til then, I want to be about 160 in July, and 140 in September. If that's possible! I'm 5'3, 182 pounds. I think I'm like a 32 inch waist. (Or something along those lines.) I wear a 14 @ old navy , but they're a little big. And 12's are a little small. I measure at my belly button. Is it possible to lose 20 in 2, and 40 in 4...?

If so, can I have some tips to get it off? I have such a hard time because I check back like three days later and I'm like 4 pounds heavier and I feel SO bad and I feel like giving up. Also I can't do too much exercise because I'm really busy with school.

That's an unrealistic and unhealthy goal. It might be possible to work really hard for 2 months and lose 20 lbs, but your body won't feel good because you won't be healthy. And you won't be physically capable of keeping up that routine for the next several months and continuing to lose weight that fast. What will end up happening is that because you've been depriving your body so much for so long, you won't be able to resist the temptation to cave in and binge. And you'll gain a lot of the weight back as a result.

If you want PERMANENT weight loss, you have to think SLOW and SUSTAINABLE. I'm 5'4" and went from 180 to now 125. Like you, I used to wear a size 14 at Old Navy and my waist used to measure 32" at its smallest. Now I wear 2's, 4's, and 6's and my waist is only 26". All that took me 3 YEARS, but I have easily kept it off.

Feel free to message me if you want any tips on how to lose weight slowly and lose it FOR GOOD. :)
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You're 5'3. I'm pretty sure 109lbs is barely a healthy weight for your height and the way you want to lose so quickly makes me concerned for your health. Crash dieting and super restrictive eating is not good and, trust me on this, will screw up your ability to focus in school if you are not eating enough.

You're 18, right?
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? No.

Before you get excited that someone has actually said it's possible, what you would have to do to accomplish this feat will make you utterly miserable. That, all by itself, is reason enough not to try, but there's a better reason not to - it's not sustainable. The level of calorie deprivation you'd have to endure will shock your metabolism and you will, in all probability, not only gain it all back, but more. If you're not happy at a size 14 how unhappy will you be at a size 16 or 18?

-Tex

KPP
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It seems a bit fast. But I have to say, throughout my life I've been on plans where I lost one pound or two pounds per week and immediately gained it all back. In fact, I've done it more times than I can remember. I also once lost around three pounds per week, on average, and kept it off for more than 10 years. For me, it's not the speed of loss, it's the commitment to continued calorie counting and regular exercise that makes the difference.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Agghhhh here we go again with this foolishness.....
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    From http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week
    Going by this, you should be losing not more than 6-7 lbs a month for the first 5 or 6 months - which means you can healthily lose maybe 24-28 lbs in 4 months, not 40.
    So I suppose you can safely lose 40 lbs in a total of maybe 6-7 months, not 4.

ETA: Which isn't so bad, really. What's another 2-3 months if it ensures you will sustain your new ways and won't fall back into old habits?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

You should really listen and read the responses in your first thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283217-is-it-possible-to-healthily-lose-67-pounds-in-4-5-months

What you want isn't healthy nor sustainable.
    Shoot for NO MORE than 2lbs/week... but 1lb is probably going to be more realistic.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    People just love to perpetuate myths and misinformation on here like they have degrees in nutrition. So 2lbs is just fine but 2.5 and now it's dangerous and unhealthy? Really? How about one of you experts try explaining that nugget with actual science. Why is it dangerous and unhealthy? What are the risks? Where can I read the studies that show that it is dangerous. Where can I read the studies that show she is more likely to gain it back than anyone else because she lost it faster? Isn't everyone very likely to gain it all back no how it came off statistically speaking? Where can I read all the horror stories about people who lost 2.5 pounds per week and paid the price for it. As long as she isn't severely restricting calories, which she isn't, shooting for 2.5 pounds per week isn't inherently any more unhealthy or dangerous than 2 lbs. if it is you should have no problem providing all sorts of facts and studies that prove it....
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn’t anything stopping you from losing weight fast but you don’t have anything to prove to the people in Seattle or college. This is about you and you should do what’s best for your health. One main key to a successful weight loss journey is keeping the weight off. You should give your body the time it needs to adjust to losing weight. Another main point is you should take time along the way to learn and develop healthy habits so you won’t gain the weight back. It takes a lot of practice to develop good habits. Before you do anything drastic, I suggest researching reputable sources about the health consequences of rapid weight loss before making any final decisions.