Slendertones

Options
Are these any good?

I know they dont get rid of fat but do they get good results with the right diet and cardio?

Replies

• vvendy_darling
    Options
    No
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've waited a couple of months to reply as I bought one back in March. Yes I can confirm they do work. I am already quite slim and have been using mine since purchasing it, twice a day with a good diet and exercise, I can defo see definition of my abs. Nothing major but I have firmed up for sure. It will not work if there is much fat in the area, u need to be quite slim for results. Upon googling not everyone sees results so I guess it depends person to person. FYI my workouts are mainly cardio not lifting, I really need to learn to lift properly for all over results, slendertone is kinda the lazy way of getting definition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Gimmick. Just like the "shake belts" of the 40's.

Loss of body fat comes down to calorie deficit. That's pretty much it. No amount of exercise (real or simulated) will spot reduce fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I've waited a couple of months to reply as I bought one back in March. Yes I can confirm they do work. I am already quite slim and have been using mine since purchasing it, twice a day with a good diet and exercise, I can defo see definition of my abs. Nothing major but I have firmed up for sure. It will not work if there is much fat in the area, u need to be quite slim for results. Upon googling not everyone sees results so I guess it depends person to person. FYI my workouts are mainly cardio not lifting, I really need to learn to lift properly for all over results, slendertone is kinda the lazy way of getting definition.
    You see abs because of your diet, not because you wore a belt 2 times a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    I used to have one and I think it does kind of work, but I stopped using it. It seemed like a bit of a faff with the conductive gel and all. I just do regular ab workouts now, as the belts don't really seem to do much for your functional fitness. A good abs/core workout is good for your back too.
  • smithers911
    smithers911 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having abs on show is all about body fat. In men, somewhere around the 10% body fat mark will allow abs to show. The size of your abs can be increased through training, and as Slendertone does to some extent simulate that exercise, it will recruit muscle fibres and could contribute to that muscle growth.

Bear in mind that if your abs are not currently visible it is because there is a layer of fat over them. Training abs hard in this case can actually make you look fatter, as the enlarged muscles push the layer of fat further away from your body.

The right calorie deficit will reduce body fat, and if you reach the magical %, your abs will appear. My opinion, for what its worth, is that Slendertone cannot replace traditional training, but may have a beneficial effect when used in addition to it.

Good luck!!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Having abs on show is all about body fat. In men, somewhere around the 10% body fat mark will allow abs to show. The size of your abs can be increased through training, and as Slendertone does to some extent simulate that exercise, it will recruit muscle fibres and could contribute to that muscle growth.

Bear in mind that if your abs are not currently visible it is because there is a layer of fat over them. Training abs hard in this case can actually make you look fatter, as the enlarged muscles push the layer of fat further away from your body.

The right calorie deficit will reduce body fat, and if you reach the magical %, your abs will appear. My opinion, for what its worth, is that Slendertone cannot replace traditional training, but may have a beneficial effect when used in addition to it.

Good luck!!

Yes, this is what i experienced. I understand proper exercise cannot be replaced but since using the belt i have noticed a difference. Nice to know my body fat has reduced!
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Slendertone can help aid you in your fitness regime, But on its own it doesnt do too much

I love my Slendertone and I 'Electrocute' myself a couple of times a week...

It may help a little in the toning of your ab muscles, but it will not help in fat loss or definition on its own, Hence a lot of people will say it doesnt work (like me, a lot of people bought it to help work the abs when the was still a lot of stomach fat hanging around)

Its very expensive for what it is, especially when you can get the same results from doing regular core exercises... but i still wouldnt give mine up for the world :)