Still not seeing results

Options

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right, but tomato sauce in the US already have sugar in it, so there is no need to add more sugar (not a tablespoon and a half anyway) for the sauce.

Just a suggestion. I know that you are used to sweetest taste than italians.

I'm in the UK :) As the OP gives her weight in stones, I think she might be also.

Ops, you may be right!

(still thinking that a bit less sugar better the taste of the Bolognese sauce, but like a good italian, I'm stubborn like a mule for recipes :D )

I am pretty sure that if Italy is like other Mediterranean countries I have visited, then your tomatoes are a lot sweeter than what we get over here in the UK where a uniform colour and shape are the most important characteristics, well except for everyone that buys them who think taste should be right up there as well
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right, but tomato sauce in the US already have sugar in it, so there is no need to add more sugar (not a tablespoon and a half anyway) for the sauce.

I'm in the UK :) As the OP gives her weight in stones, I think she might be also.

Ops, you may be right!

(still thinking that a bit less sugar better the taste of the Bolognese sauce, but like a good italian, I'm stubborn like a mule for recipes :D )

I am pretty sure that if Italy is like other Mediterranean countries I have visited, then your tomatoes are a lot sweeter than what we get over here in the UK where a uniform colour and shape are the most important characteristics, well except for everyone that buys them who think taste should be right up there as well

It may very well be... I'm sorry for you :)
    Summer is the loveliest season for tomatoes... I sometimes buy several type of tomatoes (sorry I don't find the translation for all of them but I usually find at least 5 different kind) and mix them, with just a bit of basil, extra virgin olive oil (obviously) and salt. Their different tastes blend perfectly. Usually my guests ask me if I put something special, some spice :D
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Ops, you may be right!

It may very well be... I'm sorry for you :)
    Summer is the loveliest season for tomatoes... I sometimes buy several type of tomatoes (sorry I don't find the translation for all of them but I usually find at least 5 different kind) and mix them, with just a bit of basil, extra virgin olive oil (obviously) and salt. Their different tastes blend perfectly. Usually my guests ask me if I put something special, some spice :D

I am sorry for me as well

That does sound fantastic, would you ever add torn buffalo mozzarella to that?
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yup, as the person above said, I also noticed you don't seem to be logging any milk with your cereal. I also don't see any cooking oil or spray with your meals, and lots of things measured in generic "slices", "cups" or "servings". For example, on Tuesday you had some crusty bread with your lunch - sorry but I very much doubt that a slice of bread is just 25 calories!

Also, I know you said not to look at your weekends, but I did, and actually it's probably worse than you thought. Unless you used a postage-stamp-sized piece of bread and had it with cottage cheese on saturday, there is no way a slice of cheese on toast is only 140 calories, sorry hun! Same for the chip-shop chips - those things are deep fried in oil - the oil on its own is probably 170 calories let alone the potatoes!

Generally, nutrition information on food packets is given in grams (for solids) or ml (for liquids), therefore wherever possible you should measure your food in those units too. In the UK we never use cups, so I'm surprised to see things measured in cups in your diary, and in any case a "cup" is a pretty arbitrary unit - it depends on how big your cup is for a start, let alone how heaped you fill the cup, or how packed the food in the cup is. of course if you eat out or get takeaway there are always going to be times when you have to estimate - I had to this week as I went to a conference and ate buffet food. But don't do this too often. We're not very good at assessing how much something weighs by eye unfortunately.

If you go to the Food tab on the MFP website (you can also do it in the app) there is a Recipe section where you can either import a recipe from an online source or build your own recipes. Then, you can divide that recipe up into servings and it will tell you how many calories per serving. Much more accurate than just picking something equivalent from the database.
  • IsabellaGiano
    Options
    Mmmm...

You know what, I like buffalo mozzarella, but with tomato I think that the regular cow mozzarella is better, since it's taste is milder.
    Also, buffalo mozzarella tend to produce a lot of fluid, that would dilute a bit too much the mix of tomato juice.

Anyway, one of our "patriotic" dish is the "caprese salad", that is exactly tomato, cow mozzarella, basil (red white green, our flag) with oil and salt.

But I guess that if you particularly like buffalo mozzarella, you can go for it with tomatoes, no problem! :)
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ok try this for a few weeks no alcohol then you won't want that pizza afterwards.
    Weigh and measure everything, everything be brutal. There is a brilliant post in this board about weighing and measuring food thanks to sexysteph, find it and read it.
    Drink more water, watch sodium level, eat more lean protein
    Losing weigh takes time and patience :)
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you want to be accurate, take the time to put the recipe's into the recipe builder using the raw ingredients. Then weigh the whole thing cooked and use that weight divided by 100 as the number of portions, making each portion 100 grams. That way you can weigh your sauce onto your pasta and if have say 123 grams then you know to log it as 1.23 portions.

Yes! I know it sounds fussy, but it is a really good way to be accurate. I (over)estimate a lot because I eat out, but when I cook at home I love getting out my scale and really making things precise! Then I label the leftovers with a reminder about how many grams are in a serving and feel confident every time I go to get another portion. Good luck!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Had a look at the diary and it's pretty much all over the shop. Some days below a 1000, others up to 2000. That would suggest to me you don't log very accurately and the below 1000 days are not actually below 1000. Especially if you're having spag bol and not logging it. A couple of days per week below 1000 calories would see most people losing weight and if you've been doing it since February and are not losing weight then something doesn't tally.

I know people say you're in your healthy range so harder to lose but you'd still lose if those below 1000 days were accurate, so I'm guessing they're not.

Also you say you drink alcohol at weekends but there's not that much logged so I don't think that's responsible for it.

I think underestimating what you're eating is. Tighten up on your logging.

:-)
  • LaurenW432
    LaurenW432 Posts: 14
    Options
    The bread I have is really really small, they're like mini breads. On the package it says 1 slice is 65 cals. I have it with one slice of cheese sort of spread over after it's melted. The crusty bread was also small, but this was when I was out for lunch so I logged it from the database using the average calories it brought up. The Pollock wasn't weighed, it was frozen fish which had the exact calories per fish on the box. I had one and a half, so just added the extra half myself. I use a 1 cal oil spray when cooking, and use the barcode for packages. But yeah, I just guess from the database if I'm not sure. With the using 'cup' thing, I tried to add it as something else a while ago and it said invalid. So now, if I weigh something, I just put it in as a 'cup', because I thought that was the 'thing' on MFP.
    I will use the recipe builder more often, see how I get on.
    With the sugar in the spag bol, it's only a teaspoon and a bit, not a tablespoon. I do find it tastes too bitter without so just give it a little sprinkle. Italian is my absolute favourite food, hence the spag bol and pizzas. It's been hard trying to cut down on pasta because it is my absolute fave!
    To be fair I'm not logging religiously and accurately. If I go for a night out I try to put in what I've eaten or drank, but not always. But, I honestly do not think on regular weekdays I am eating over 1430 calories. It just can't be possible. I eat small lunches, usually fish with some sort of salad. The snacks I have are usually snack a jacks or something low in calories. My dinners are pretty healthy and easily loggable, with the exception of saucy things, like the spag bol example. Plus I'm exercising 4-5 days a week. I'm thinking its the weekend binges. They've got to go!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Every last thing needs to be logged, imo. Even the 1 cal spray!

At least then you have a clear picture of where it's going wrong.
  • LaurenW432
    LaurenW432 Posts: 14
    Options
    I shall from today!
    Thanks for all the replies :)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't understand Chris' method. Why divide by 100?
  • ambzdee94
    ambzdee94 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been using Fitnesspal since Feb, and following the suggested calorie intake each week. I also exercise 5 days a week for about 40 minutes, alternating between cardio workouts and weight training. My problem is, I'm just not seeing much difference. I went on the scales this morning and I've actually put weight on, about a pound. My scales are rubbish though, so I'm going to re-check in a week on some digital scales.
    I'm baffled about how many calories I should actually be eating. MFP says 1,430. I'm 5'9, weigh 11.10ish (today). I very rarely eat this much, or net under because of exercise. The weekends are a problem. I go out for drinks and sometimes end up with a pizza to take home. Is it possible this is the whole issue? Even though I'm averaging under my weekly calorie goal each week?
    I don't really feel any different either. Possibly a little firmer but that's about it. I'm just looking for some advice as I'm becoming discouraged, and wondering if I should maybe just go onto a diet planner regime, like Slimming World. My friend just lost 2lbs in a week. That has not happened for me and I feel like I'm working hard for it everyday.
    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Lauren,

I was in the exact same situation as you .. really you need to weight everything and make sure you log everything that goes in your mouth. Im 5ft 6 weight 12stone 1/2 .
    so this week i have eat a lot more healthier cutting the crap out and logging everything and been to exercise classes 5 times .. I have lost 9 inches from my body and 3lbs in weight..

really i think you need to get your diet right to see a difference... eating pizza and drinking alcohol all the time whilst doing exercise is gonna get you no where unfortunately.

Try cutting it out, by all means have it in moderation just not all the time.

Feel free to add me to look at my diary.

x
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    one weekend of drinking can put you back a whole week. calories from drinks add up crazy fast, and drunk eating is a big problem for alot of people. trust me, we all ahve to deal with it, if you need to go out then switch to a lower cal drink (i went with gin and club soda) and prepare a healthier snack for after the bars, itll save you alot of calories
    edit; also as other have said tighten up your through the week eating as well
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You say you don't log everything. This could be why! If you don't log everything, you may not be under your weekly limit. The most consistent success I have had is when I logged absolutely everything, including logging my alcohol on nights out. My friends thought I was a bit mad but are now really pleased for me that I've lost loads of weight! I've been less consistent in the logging lately and am seeing much less improvement...
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    With respect, Chris' method needs clarifying. If a pan of sauce weighed in at 500g, why would you divide by 100? You wouldn't.
  • WishUponAStarx
    WishUponAStarx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would and I will :) I thought Chris' post was brilliant - I've been trying to figure out an easy way to measure recipe portions more accurately. I think that method really simplifies it. Glad I peeked into this post. Thanks! (and GL to you, OP! You can do this :) )
  • IsabellaGiano
    Options
    With respect, Chris' method needs clarifying. If a pan of sauce weighed in at 500g, why would you divide by 100? You wouldn't.

You want that a portion is 100g. The total weight of your recipe is TOT. How many portions ( X ) do you need for one to be 100g?

So you want that

TOT / X = 100g

So, X = TOT / 100g

In that case, 500 g / 100 g = 5 portions, each of them being exactly 100 grams.
  • IsabellaGiano
    Options
    I would and I will :) I thought Chris' post was brilliant - I've been trying to figure out an easy way to measure recipe portions more accurately. I think that method really simplifies it. Glad I peeked into this post. Thanks! (and GL to you, OP! You can do this :) )

Yes, I thnk too that is perfect! I didn't, but I will from now on! Thanks Chris!