Scales that measure body fat percentage

Options
I just "upgraded" my scale to one that measures body fat percentage. My husband thinks I've bought magic beans... Articles on the internet say that these scales aren't all that accurate but can be helpful if you are monitoring reading to reading (i.e. going in the right direction but not taking the measurement itself all that seriously). Anyone have any personal experience with these kinds of scales? What do you think? Is my husband right? Did I buy "magic beams"?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Magic beans. The scales have algorithms based on your inputs, but they're not measuring body fat percentage.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They don't work. Yesterday I was 18% bf, and today I'm 14% bf... and I am less hydrated and 3 lbs less today- so my bf% should be higher if anything. It seemed consistent for a few months, but it just doesn't work at all now.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't see how they're all that accurate. I would stick with a pair of calipers.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    they r horrible
  • hakudoshi82
    hakudoshi82 Posts: 29
    Options
    Not sure on a scale I know there is a electronic method to record body fat that is not as accurate. Send a small amount of current through you and measures the resistance. I used one of these and then had my trainer do all the proper measurements and it was off by about 1%
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The trainer at the gym said he's tested theirs several times and its matched up on point with calipers every time.. but theirs does it with electromagnetic pulses (or so he said)

Not sure how expensive those are or if home scales are used with similar technologies.. but I personally wouldn't trust the readings or take them too seriously. Like someone said, as long as the trend is a lessening of bf% and not used in place of legitimate measurements.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine uses an electromagnetic pulse (there are metal things you stand on) and it sends out the pulse, and depending on how fast it reads it sent back, it can tell (roughly) how much body fat you have. It is actually quite accurate. I used the military equation to get my body fat estimation online and it came out the same as my scale. I never had to input anything except height into the scale, and the military thing asks for all sorts of measurements. Just my 2 cents.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
  • jimfoxer
    jimfoxer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not true, and not magic beans - but you need to know how to use them. The majority of these scales work by electrical impedance - which means it sends an electrical impulse up one leg and measures how long it takes to get the signal down from the other leg - since electricity travels slowly through fat. Yes, they use algorithms to calculate the final number based on the impedance, but that is why these scales ask you if you have an athletic build or not - to be sure to use the correct algorithm. There are some that have a handheld unit, that sends the signal from your hands and measures it at your feet that is supposed to be more accurate, but not as convenient. My scale, a Withings Wi-Fi, just has the feet sensors.

Here is the problem that people face: most people get wildly different readings from measurement to measurement. This is due to the fact that the electrical signal is slower when passing through a dehydrated body, and most people weigh themselves first thing in the morning. What you need to do is get in the habit of weighing yourself twice - for weight in the morning, for body fat percentage in the evening. You will get much more consistent results. You will also have to take an average, as the body fat will vary (but then, so does your weight from day to day). And how do I know it's not magic beans? Because a fat analysis based on a water immersion test produced the same result as on the scale!

I've found it to be a great tool, and helps me calculate my max deficit (since the body can only metabolize 31 calories per pound of body fat a day, and you can't calculate that without the fat number). Knowing this keeps me from having too big a deficit and risking breaking down lean mass.

Good luck with your new scale!
  • myusernameisMarie
    myusernameisMarie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Great information!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Not true, and not magic beans - but you need to know how to use them. The majority of these scales work by electrical impedance - which means it sends an electrical impulse up one leg and measures how long it takes to get the signal down from the other leg - since electricity travels slowly through fat. Yes, they use algorithms to calculate the final number based on the impedance, but that is why these scales ask you if you have an athletic build or not - to be sure to use the correct algorithm. There are some that have a handheld unit, that sends the signal from your hands and measures it at your feet that is supposed to be more accurate, but not as convenient. My scale, a Withings Wi-Fi, just has the feet sensors.

Here is the problem that people face: most people get wildly different readings from measurement to measurement. This is due to the fact that the electrical signal is slower when passing through a dehydrated body, and most people weigh themselves first thing in the morning. What you need to do is get in the habit of weighing yourself twice - for weight in the morning, for body fat percentage in the evening. You will get much more consistent results. You will also have to take an average, as the body fat will vary (but then, so does your weight from day to day). And how do I know it's not magic beans? Because a fat analysis based on a water immersion test produced the same result as on the scale!

I've found it to be a great tool, and helps me calculate my max deficit (since the body can only metabolize 31 calories per pound of body fat a day, and you can't calculate that without the fat number). Knowing this keeps me from having too big a deficit and risking breaking down lean mass.

Good luck with your new scale!

Thanks for this info. Even though it sounds "sciency" I am able to follow and understand it. I've been avoiding these scales and avoiding buying one in general but know I'll need one near the end of my "journey" to keep an eye on "maintenance mode" so I've been wondering if these fat measuring one's are something I should look into. With this explanation it seems like a much easier and more independant way than calipers of me getting this kind of info whenever I'm interested. For the time being, as long as I'm slimming down and making gains in energy, I'll assume my body fat percentage is going down sufficiently. I did have it measured by calipers at the start so I do have a baseline to compare to when I near the end.
  • henib1022
    henib1022 Posts: 1
    Options
    This post is over 1 year old but in case someone can make use of this info, here it is:

FROM BODYFAT SCALE MANUAL:
    This analyzer measures your weight, the electrical impedance between your feet, and combines those readings with the information you input (Height, Age, Gender, Normal/Athlete).
    It then automatically calculates your body fat and body water percentages.

Your level of hydration (water content) varies throughout the day and affects your impedance measurement.
    —> If you are dehydrated, there is a greater chance for fluctuation in the body fat and body water percentage displayed by this analyzer than when you are fully hydrated.

For best results:
    Choose a consistent time to use this analyzer, such as in the morning. By establishing the pattern of your body’s fluctuation over a period of one month, you can determine your average level of body fat and body water.
    Women will have more fluctuation in water content than men and need to monitor their reading over a longer time period to establish a personal average. You must determine this as a reference point before measuring progress in a health program.

You must wait several hours before taking a body fat reading when:
    1. drinking coffee or alcohol,
    2. taking diuretic medications,
    3. exercising.
    These all affect your level of hydration and the accuracy of this analyzer.

Source: http://www.taylorusa.com/media/IBs/5594_ib.pdf
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    They can give consistent, although not necessarily accurate, readings if you use them the same time of day with roughly the same hydration level, if used post shower same amount of water on the soles of your feet, etc. The number of variables that the user must mitigate is sizable.

One glass of water does not change your BF% by several points ... these scales can say it did.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The Pitfalls of Body Fat “Measurement”: Part 1

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=146

Most of us, at one point or another, have had our body fat levels “measured.”

I put “measured” in quotation marks because a body fat “measurement” is not a measurement at all. Body fat testing is a prediction, and a very poor one.
    The Weather Man Doesn’t Measure the Weather

When a weather man gives you a forecast, he doesn’t measure the weather. He is predicting the weather. And that’s exactly what is happening when you have your body fat tested. We are predicting your body fat levels, not measuring them. Along with that prediction comes a certain amount of error. Just as the weatherman cannot predict the weather with 100% accuracy, we cannot predict your body fat levels with 100% accuracy. In fact, we can’t even predict your body fat with 70% accuracy. In this article, you are about to learn just how bad the prediction really is.
    UNQUOTE