Gluten Free and Low Carb

Anyone doing a gluten free and low card diet? needing some recipe or meal ideas;) TIA

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I did spicy chicken "tacos" yesterday, shredded chicken, roasted onions, garlic, and peppers. Served in romaine lettuce leaves. Yum. I made a cilantro, lime sour cream for the family. I personally can't handle dairy. So I skipped that part. But they were very yummy. Today I put stuffed cabbage (minus rice, add the chopped up leaves too small to roll) in the crock pot. In a broth of diced Roma tomatoes and beef broth.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    If you want to study Low carb and its claims in a fairly substantive & comprehensive way which would enable you to answer your question effectively, you would do well to check out:
    The Primitive Nutrition Series Playlist

Welcome to The Primitive Nutrition Series! Created by someone who was nearly seduced by the Paleo Diet idea before going vegan, these videos provide a wide-ranging response to the evolution-inspired rationale for meat eating which so many have uncritically accepted.

Ever wonder...
    Will fruit make me fat? Unlikely. See 49.
    Is grass-fed beef an environmentally responsible food? This opens 70.
    Weren't the Eskimos healthy eating a completely animal-based diet? 27 answers this.
    Isn't there great research supporting low-carb diets? 52 looks at some of it.
    Were our Ice Age ancestors low-carbers? Probably not. 11 explains.
    Should I trust the advice of the primitive diet gurus? Watch them all!

These videos are intended to be viewed in order, from 1 to 71. See them all and you will never again fall for a fad diet. It's time to move away from gimmickery and hype, and toward a healthy and sustainable future. Let's start something positive!
    UNQUOTE
  • monica10171
    monica10171 Posts: 12 Member
    There are a bunch of great low carb/gluten free blogs. All day I dream about food, gourmet girl cooks, linda low carb and low carb friends, those are a few of my favorites.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    I'm gluten free and my BF's low carb. Here are a couple of meals we love to make together that fit for both of us:

Cauliflower crust pizza
    Beef or turkey stew
    no-carb meatloaf (use choppped mushrooms instead of bread crumbs and Frank's red hot instead of ketchup)
    Fish with a side of veggies
    Chicken wings (if you make your own they can actually be quite nutritional)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Forgive my ignorance...but wouldn't gluten-free automatically be low-carb?
  • ragan4bama
    ragan4bama Posts: 58 Member
    Not necessarily. I was eating a lot or protein bars that were high protein but not necessarily Gluten free.
    Going gluten free and a more clean eating diet with a focus on protein has helped my digestive issues tremendously. There are a lot of options out there for breads/ wraps/ pita's such as the Josephs brand that have only 1 to 2 net carbs. So we would use those in place of bread.
    I'm trying to steer away from using processed foods as well, no every day is not perfect but I'm trying to move into the cleaner eating.
  • ragan4bama
    ragan4bama Posts: 58 Member
    I did spicy chicken "tacos" yesterday, shredded chicken, roasted onions, garlic, and peppers. Served in romaine lettuce leaves. Yum. I made a cilantro, lime sour cream for the family. I personally can't handle dairy. So I skipped that part. But they were very yummy. Today I put stuffed cabbage (minus rice, add the chopped up leaves too small to roll) in the crock pot. In a broth of diced Roma tomatoes and beef broth.

Thanks! I didn't even think about using the lettce for the tacos.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Gluten Free does not equal carb free.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Things like potatoes and rice are gluten free but still have carbs.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Things like potatoes and rice are gluten free but still have carbs.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. Shows how much I know about gluten - all I know is that it's delicious.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Why must others decide what works for everyone. This is not whack science. I have diabetes so low carb balanced meals carbs, protein i a must per my licensed doctor recommended nutitionist. And by the way i know splenda is bad for me but doc says its a good alternative for biabetics. So just maybe you can research this and keep an open mind. Stop judging.