Couch to 5k... Can I really do it?

Options
Okay, let me just start this post by saying that me and exercise do not have a good relationship.

Frankly, I hate it. I have tried to love it, I really have, but no such luck.

With that being said, I really want to become a runner. I have visions in my head of lacing up my shoes and going for a great jog and feeling amazing, as opposed to the massive shin splint pain that I normally feel when I attempt to run on anything other than the treadmill.

On May 28th there is a 5k that will be held for fallen police officers and firemen. With my husband being an officer I thought this would be a great run to strive for.

Sooo, this Friday I am going to start the Couch to 5k program. I am optimistic about it. I am going to start at a really slow pace to hopefully ward off the shin splint gods. I am thinking of doing the program on the treadmill and then once completed move it out to the asphalt, but I don't know if that is the best idea or not. I guess I will let the weather determine where I run, but my logic was that I should start running out on the asphalt to begin with, since the 5k run is obviously going to be outside, but I would hate to get the splints early on and have it derail me from my goal, thus thinking treadmill training first is best. UGH! decisions!

Well, either way, the training must begin, whether it be on the treadmill or outside, because if not, I will be cheering my husband on from the sidelines as he crosses the finish line, as opposed to crossing the finish line myself...

Wish me Luck!!!

Replies

• aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can really do it! I have been doing the program for a few weeks now and surprisingly, I love running. I was the same. I fantasized about being a runner but never did it. Now I am running!!! I recommend planning on stretching a lot after every run. Just follow their plan and you will be just fine! :) Good luck!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, you really can do this. The C25K is a great program. I am now running a little over 3 miles, about 3 times a week. One of my best friends who has had numerous knee surgeries can run now, thanks to her determination and the C25K. Take your time, and repeat some weeks if you need to. Can't wait to read your post in May after doing the 5K! Good luck!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes! It really works. A year ago my exercise was walking to and from the car. Now I'm running 20 miles a week due to C25K. If you have trouble with one day just try it again the next workout, no hurry it'll happen. If I can do it you can do it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I personally like asphalt vs a treadmill. The treadmill seems to be harder on my body.

Be sure to get some good running shoes, and my neighbor, who's an acomplished tri-athlete recommends not tying your laces too tight to help ward off the shin splints. Might be an old wives tale, but worth a try.

Good luck. I ran my first 5K in over 20 years about a year and a half ago and completed my first half marathon this past October.

You can do it!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Yes. Get new shoes. You can complete it. And, if you're like me, you'll still hate running after you're done! But you'll have completed it!!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do it! Stretch stretch stretch. That is the best advice I can give you. I love running, but haven't been able to in a month because I didn't stretch enough before and after runs. Here are the stretches I do both before and after. It really really helps.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Also, since you said shin splints were your big problem, here's a lot of info about how to prevent them and how to treat them if they do happen:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm

Happy running!
  • caligirl86
    Options
    You were the inspiration that I needed... Just printed out the program... Getting my act together... Thanks..Keep each other posted as to our progression..
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    If I can do it anyone can! I am on Week 4. I did Week 1 two weeks in a row, then did Week 2, did Week 3 for 2 weeks. I didn't have any problem going to Week 4 and there is a BIG jump in the amount of running from Week 3 to Week 4. Stretching, good shoes and not tying them to tight is very important. I would get shin splints from walking if my shoes were tyed too tight. Download some good C25K playlists and go at it, you'll love it!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Yes you can really do it!!! You've gotten some excellent advice thus far :) Its great that you have an event you are training for, because that will keep you motivated and you will have a measurable goal that you can celebrate in the end (warning: you might become addicted to entering 5ks lol!)

I used to get shin splints. Increase your mileage and speed gradually (C25K is PERFECT for this!!), get good running shoes that are the right type for YOUR foot/gait/running style. (ask someone who is really into running if they can help you out with this locally).

As for tying laces too tight, i found this tutorial for lock-lacing in mid-October and it was like a little angel coming to rescue my poor feet :)http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm This keeps the shoes from slipping yet doesnt put all that tightness on the top of the foot (which caused me foot pain on the top of my foot).

Keep at it and repeat weeks if you need to. I liked Robert Ullrey's podcasts for timing things out (there are free podcasts for each week, just google Ullrey and C25K podcast).

have fun!!
  • mrstxcop
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the positive feedback... I have only been on this site for 1 day and I LOVE it!!! The support and positive responses I have received have exceeded all my expectations...

I never knew about tying my laces to tight... I will say that is one thing I do, I hate a loose fitting shoe, so I am wondering if half my shin splint problems were not stemming from that...

Thanks again and I will definately post after Friday, my first program day...

(((HUGS)))
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes, you really can do this. The C25K is a great program. I am now running a little over 3 miles, about 3 times a week. One of my best friends who has had numerous knee surgeries can run now, thanks to her determination and the C25K. Take your time, and repeat some weeks if you need to. Can't wait to read your post in May after doing the 5K! Good luck!

What is C25K? I know it has to do with running, but that's all I understand.
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    It is a running program that over 9 weeks (or longer if needed) takes you from couch potato to running a 5k. It's great!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm on week two. If I can do it, so can you!

I'm eyeing a Red Cross 5k at the end of March, and the Warrior Dash in June.
  • jbarton163
    jbarton163 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this program as well, but I'm doing it inside for now when my little guy is napping. I'm going to be honest, I'm was a little nervous because I'm not a runner by any means. In fact, we have a hate hate relationship thus far due to knee problems and shin splints. But after reading the other stories on here about how much this program really works, I'm really really getting excited. Thanks for the success stories and I can't wait to add mine in a few weeks. :)
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing this as well, starting next week. Just make sure to take it at your own speed and keep your goal in sight and you should be able to do it. I did it before I was pregnant and it was great. I lost all endurance and strength while pregnant so I am starting it again and plan to run a 5 k in May or June
  • mam734
    mam734 Posts: 21
    Options
    If I can do it, anyone can! I had really bad shin pain in the past, so I started out walking 1-3 miles, 5 or 6 days a week. After a month or so of that, I started C25K. After the walking prep I did, I had very little shin pain. My legs in general would be sore, but not really uncomfortable.
    Ultimately I ran my first 5k on the treadmill in 37:30 minutes. I finished! I'm working on my speed now, backing off to 2 miles per run, but at a 10:30/mile pace. My first real race is Feb 6, and I more races this spring and summer I'm looking forward to!
    Good luck, you can do it.
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    You can totally do it. I started it 2 years ago I think and went from a size 16 to a 4 just running and watching what I ate. It's challenging and there are days where you just want to say screw it, it's too difficult or I don't want to run that far or I can't, but what I found helped me is to have your boyfriend/husband take, what I called, *kitten* shots every 2 weeks. Wear the same undies and bra or shirt, stand in the same place and have him the same distance away and the progress you see is all the motivation you will need to keep going. :) And if you find a week was really hard, repeat it instead of moving on. I spent, probably, 2 extra weeks on week 7 until it wasn't such a struggle anymore. Listen to your body!

Just take it one day at a time!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've just started week 9 and have 2 runs to go before I finish and I`m loving it. Good luck :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    C25k has a ton of apps on the Droid and the Iphone so those are easy things to get to you started. Plus you get to listen to your own music which I love.

As far as shin splints go, ice massages are the way to go. Advil will help with the inflammation. If your stomach can handle 600-800mg take that every 8 hours for at least 3 days so it has a chance to become a anti-inflamm. Sporting good stores also carry sleeves that you can put on your shin that will keep it warm and give the muscles the support they need while you are running.
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and also had trouble with shin splints. Remember to keep your feet low to the ground and kind of shuffle your feet. That has really helped me. Look into the Jeff Galloway program. He stresses injury free running for life by running intervals. I now run 2 mins and walk 1. I ran 11 miles this way a few weeks ago. It may not make you any faster, but it will at least give you a small break. Some people run 10 and walk 1, or 4-2, just depends on your pace. Good luck to you!!