Maybe I missed something- no chocolate milk in schools?

Options

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's just prejudice: White milk builds strong body's and teeth; Chocolate milk is bad for you.
    Frosted flakes are "great" but you're koo-koo if you like coco puffs.
    White rice is fine; but once it gets dark, they call it "wild" or "dirty" rice.
    They keep the green olives in jars where every body can see them; but the black olives have to be locked up in a can!

:-D

That reminds me of my Dad's super arbitrary grocery shopping rules. We could get Cocoa Krispies, but not Cocoa Puffs or Cocoa Pebbles. Froot Loops, but not Trix. He's a strange man.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk as an option is idiotic. Now those kids who would only drink chocolate milk won't drink anything. Did you know that the student HAS to pick up a milk product (even if they are lactose intolerant) when they buy the school lunch? So not only will kids not drink the milk but it will be wasted as well. Good job, government officials!!

This isn't true in our neck of the woods. In my kids' elementary school, they have a choice of 2% milk, chocolate milk, bottled water, and juice drink (This is the one that ticks me off - For pete's sake, at least make it pure juice. The kids don't know they're grabbing juice flavored corn syrup. I know this, because many kids have told me they're drinking delicious, healthy juice.). They're allowed to take 2 - any 2.

So my hunch is, this is a local thing. Could be your school board, could even be the meal providers. Let's not forget that in today's USA, most school meals are provided by companies that are hired by the school board. You may want to contact the food service provider and raise a little Holy Hell with them first, then go up the government chain.

I graduated high school in 2007 and we were required to take a milk before the wonderful lunch ladies would let us even leave the line. Most of it ended up in the trash while everyone went back up and bought an iced tea or something else.

When I was in high school, the only thing that I bought for lunch was a chocolate milk. Not saying that was a great idea to not eat anything else, but I wasn't really hungry and it filled me up. Chocolate milk is actually a pretty good recovery drink which can be used in place of the commercial recovery drinks (and is cheaper too).
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle to myself at a generation of kids raised on chocolate milk in schools, now banning it for their own kids.

At least with chocolate milk they are getting calcium. What are they drinking if they don't drink chocolate milk -- sugary juice? I don't ever see the point in getting rid of chocolate milk. As a kid that was my favorite part of lunch. And I wasn't an obese kid. If a kid is obese, a box of chocolate milk at lunch is not the end all be all solution to the problem...
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk as an option is idiotic. Now those kids who would only drink chocolate milk won't drink anything. Did you know that the student HAS to pick up a milk product (even if they are lactose intolerant) when they buy the school lunch? So not only will kids not drink the milk but it will be wasted as well. Good job, government officials!!

This isn't true in our neck of the woods. In my kids' elementary school, they have a choice of 2% milk, chocolate milk, bottled water, and juice drink (This is the one that ticks me off - For pete's sake, at least make it pure juice. The kids don't know they're grabbing juice flavored corn syrup. I know this, because many kids have told me they're drinking delicious, healthy juice.). They're allowed to take 2 - any 2.

So my hunch is, this is a local thing. Could be your school board, could even be the meal providers. Let's not forget that in today's USA, most school meals are provided by companies that are hired by the school board. You may want to contact the food service provider and raise a little Holy Hell with them first, then go up the government chain.

I believe that they HAVE to take two if they buy lunch. I might be wrong about that but my husband and I attended a school breakfast with some of our kids and we were told that our kids HAD to pick two. Just stupid. Because one of my kids is lactose intolerant and he can't drink a water and juice. (I can't even drink a water and a juice in the time that's allotted for lunch.) It's just wasteful in my opinion.

And lumping all the kids that throw out the milk into families with lazy parenting is silly. Decades ago, when I was in school, I would only drink chocolate milk. If I was going to school these days, I'd be throwing out the mandatory plain milk as well. (I grew up on a dairy farm and the school milk tasted absolutely revolting to me.)

Great point!! That's a whole other can of worms: the time allotment for lunch!!! We expect our kids to shovel all this food in their mouths in twenty minutes overrriding their bodies signs of feeling full which in turn results in overweight kids.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Probably because chocolate milk = more calories. Never mind that last I heard school lunches in the US had a calorie minimum... no, that was not a typo.

Of course there's a calorie minimum. It would be awful if they weren't being served enough food. What part of that do you find funny?

I agree. It isn't funny in the slightest. There was a trend in several school districts in 2012 to cut the calories in school lunches based on USDA recommendations, and it backfired. The lunches served were NOT enough to sustain growing kids. Yes, there's obesity here, but there are also plenty of active kids who benefit from the added calories. Athletes, for example, could easily need 5000 calories a day in their teens. a 600 calorie school lunch isn't going to do anything for them.

And in many poverty-stricken areas (like where I taught in rural Arkansas) school breakfast and school lunch are the only meals a lot of kids get. We'd catch tons of kids stealing extra milk to take home with them.

Agreed. Kids need to be fed the right amount of food for them and these one size fits all approaches do not work. As for kids stealing milk? That makes my heart break. As much as I'm a proponent of personal responsibility, we as a society owe it to our children to at least make sure that they have enough to eat so they can function in school. Without that, any idea that people can grow up and change their social position goes out the window.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I graduated high school in 2007 and we were required to take a milk before the wonderful lunch ladies would let us even leave the line. Most of it ended up in the trash while everyone went back up and bought an iced tea or something else.

When I was in high school, the only thing that I bought for lunch was a chocolate milk. Not saying that was a great idea to not eat anything else, but I wasn't really hungry and it filled me up. Chocolate milk is actually a pretty good recovery drink which can be used in place of the commercial recovery drinks (and is cheaper too).

My high school had a vending machine with sodas and juice and things like that. We were never forced to drink milk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle to myself at a generation of kids raised on chocolate milk in schools, now banning it for their own kids.
    No kidding.

And we didn't have the obesity issue back then, yet now we're blaming the chocolate milk. WTH.

There is no logic.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Now I want chocolate milk.

So many of the kids who eat school breakfast and lunch are low income and don't get enough calories at home. II probably would have been even skinnier than I was as a kid without the extra food I got in my free breakfast and lunch. If I got 20 extra calories and some sugar from chocolate milk - good!

I personally think that more money needs to be put to school lunches so that good, nutritious, filling food can be provided in schools, affordably for all students. Here in Finland, were I live now, school lunches are free, and free lunches are provided for children in the summertime too. Ok, the kids don't get chocolate milk but they can eat what they like.

I think that the crusade against chocolate milk is a smokescreen over the real problems of junk food in school lunches. Either I was really, really hungry as a kid or lunches look like crap now: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fedupwithlunch/6049666276
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    No kidding.

And we didn't have the obesity issue back then, yet now we're blaming the chocolate milk. WTH.

There is no logic.

Because when we were kids we did things like, oh, play outside? Now kids are on their computers, ipads, iphones, xbox etc. and they aren't as active as we were.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk is crazy. That was the only kind I could stomach when I was a kid. The white milk tasted like the cardboard container. The schools are going a little too far IMO. If you are a parent who wants to stand up to it, pack your child's lunch! I pack my kids' lunches about half the month.

Off subject, but lunch-related: My kids go to an elementary school (grades K-5) where they are given a plastic spoon and fork to eat with. Reasoning is the real silverware could be used as a weapon!!! (Yet, I guess it's okay to be throwing away all that plastic.)

On a positive note: In my community, any kids who live in poverty are sent home with a backpack full of food every week. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    And lumping all the kids that throw out the milk into families with lazy parenting is silly. Decades ago, when I was in school, I would only drink chocolate milk. If I was going to school these days, I'd be throwing out the mandatory plain milk as well. (I grew up on a dairy farm and the school milk tasted absolutely revolting to me.)

I've always had a serious aversion to plain milk. The thought of drinking it makes me sick. I don't know why. I'll have it in cereal or with some flavor (chocolate usually) mixed in. But not plain. Been like that as long as I can remember.

I was a very picky eater as a kid. I'm not anymore, but I still can't do milk.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No kidding.

There is no logic.

Because when we were kids we did things like, oh, play outside? Now kids are on their computers, ipads, iphones, xbox etc. and they aren't as active as we were.

Exactly this. My kids are active and play outside, sometimes until 7 every night. And there is a noticeable difference in obesity even in my small community between the kids who are outside playing and the ones who stay inside to play games (or have parents who won't let them out to play with the neighborhood kids).
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    Removing chocolate milk is crazy. That was the only kind I could stomach when I was a kid. The white milk tasted like the cardboard container. The schools are going a little too far IMO. If you are a parent who wants to stand up to it, pack your child's lunch! I pack my kids' lunches about half the month.

Even when I packed my lunch I felt like the lunch ladies were scrutinizing my food. If I had a bag of chips I'd feel their stink eye behind me. Once in a great while -- mostly when we had a field trip that got rained out -- I'd have a soda in my lunch box and I remember being told that it was 'okay but just don't make it a habit' by the lunch ladies.

IMO it's just all about more Government control over what we can and can't do. Sure you can get rid of chocolate milk, make mandatory calorie requirements in schools but it's going to do NOTHING to stop obesity.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No kidding.

There is no logic.

Exactly! The food isn't the issue. It's the lack of physical activity.

I ate ice cream and Little Debbie snacks for lunch at school. Then I went with friends after school and ate pizza, chicken wings, Wendy's, McDonald's. Burger King ...

And people at school started rumors I was anorexic because I was so skinny. (Strangely, the main person who did that was smaller than I was ...)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, it has sugar, and it's true that kids already eat a lot of sugar.

But I give my kids chocolate milk every day... My daughter doesn't really drink milk anymore and she's very thin, so I don't mind the extra calories on her...
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk after runs for recovery which is awesome. And lunch would be the perfect time for them to have it.

But omg, it has evil sugar and we must save the children from sugar!

Last year the school asked me to stop giving my boys chewable Vitamin C because that was dangerous. I was speechless when they notified me of the possibility that they might share with a kid who might be allergic. To Vitamin C. :sick: Though I was given the option of sending it to the nurse if I could provide a doctor's note that says they can have it.
  • BJBroxton
    BJBroxton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well there are MANY things wrong with the public school system in the U.S. , I too find it ridiculous that they are removing chocolate milk when there are soda and snack machines in nearly every hallway/ gymnasium across America's schools. My personal belief is that they are just trying to cut costs. Surely it isn't in the children's interest. All in all though the nutrition always starts at home.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

My son is lactose intolerant. He had to get a Dr.'s note EVERY year so that he could get juice instead of milk. I didn't know this until after he went for a few days drinking nothing at lunch since he wasn't allowed juice. I went to the school, and they hate it too. Or at least my sons school did. But they have people breathing down their necks too. Please government, work on things that you can help and leave our schools alone!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My daughter's school gets chocolate milk once a week. Seems sensible compromise to me. If she drank it every day I wouldn't be happy, but once a week, who cares?
  • rml_16
    Options
    My daughter's school gets chocolate milk once a week. Seems sensible compromise to me. If she drank it every day I wouldn't be happy, but once a week, who cares?
    So because you don't want your child having it every day, no one else's children can have it available?