Should Charles Barkley apologize?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
I doubt if Charles Barkley researched San Antonio's ranking as one of the most obese cities in the US (ranked 3rd), so when he made his comment about " big ol women" in San Antonio, I believe it was in jest and for entertainment. Here's his comments during an "Inside the NBA" show:

Barkley had said on the nationally televised broadcast last week that San Antonio is a “gold mine for weight-watchers,” that there are “some big ol’ women down there” and “Victoria is definitely a secret [in San Antonio] … they can’t wear no Victoria’s Secret down there.”

Barkley was called to apologize for his comments, but refused on "Tip off" on TNT. If you know Charles Barkley, he's always rippin' on anyone (jokingly) that comes up in the conversation. He even rips on himself for being overweight. The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance asked for his immediate apology.

I don't believe he needs to apologize. Thoughts?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• L4manski
    L4manski Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    He should not. The world is so Politically Correct now that you can't express opinions or feelings anymore without judgment and harassment. Its sad. People have become more opinionated and vocal on the internet and more reserved and afraid in the real world. God forbid someone say something that may hurt someone else's feelings out loud...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think he should apologize unless he wants to. That being said, his comments were appalling.

I know many people think that brutal honesty is motivational, but this wasn't brutal honesty, this was intentionally hurtful insults directed at the female population of an entire city. Not everyone finds drive and motivation in anger and hate.

But again, everyone has a right to their own opinion. If he doesn't care what others think of his opinion, then he shouldn't bother apologizing.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    turrible_zps700393a6.jpg

Srs, tho! No, I really don't see the point in an apology.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets their panties twisted so easily these days....
  • FitWithWit44
    FitWithWit44 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    No, but he should apologize for this

5301748815_a6b87be193_o.gif
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    No apologies needed. He can speak his mind. It is the 3rd Fattest city. I think he's on WW himself. People are allowed to speak their minds in the Good Ole Fat USA
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Charles Barkley should apologize for being Charles Barkley......\m/
  • FitWithWit44
    FitWithWit44 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    and this

Charles+Barkley+Dougie.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    No, but he should apologize for this

5301748815_a6b87be193_o.gif

HA! love it!!!

Someone can ask for an apology, but if the person isn't sorry, well... that's the way it goes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Here's the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsJZzW-a-g

Charles cracks me up. On one after game review they put up a picture of "FloRida" with a bunch of jewelry on and Charles said "Man I'd knock da hell outta him if I saw him in an alley. Man that's a million dollas right there!"

He's great entertainment. To me no different than a comedian rippin' on people.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I grew up in San Antonio. He's right. Fact is, people tend to only get offended when something hits home because it's TRUE. No, he shouldn't apologize for speaking the truth. If the people in San Antonio get offended, get in the freakin gym and do something about it!!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Wait.....there is an organzation for the acceptance of fat ppl? WTF?
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets their panties twisted so easily these days....

I agree. We are supposed to be a progressive society but yet we are terribly sensitive.
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options

I think you just discovered your lifes work! :laugh:
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone owes everyone else an apology. I'll start. I would like to sincerely apologize for my lack of tolerance for stupid people. I understand stupid people can't help that they're stupid and I plan to make a donation to the Organization for the Acceptance of Stupid People in response to my intermittent disregard and insensitivity.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh yeah! And it started in 1969 I believe. I'm thinking they didn't think the actual weight limits would reach this magnitude!
    They have a convention every year in the summer. I saw it on Penn & Teller's "Bull****".

IDEA Fitness member
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think in a sea of lots of other terrible **** being said, notably humorous Charles Barkley can have a pass; it's not like he implied that fat people are disgusting or anything (lookin' at you, PeTA). If San Antonio has a high population of fat women, Weight Watchers would likely do well down there. It's logical! (I get that he was joking and not making an argument for the company's success, I'm not obtuse.)

HOWEVER, as slightly overweight girl myself, I gotta say, VS clothes are SUPER FLATTERING and they have more generous sizing options than you might expect from their models :tongue: Plus they have pants with 34 and 36 inch inseams, which makes me so happy.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options