weighted hula hoops

Options
Any weighted hula hoop users? I've been using mine for almost a year now. I hoop for anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes each night. But I haven't seen the results that I expected. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has used one with any success?

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Are you defining success as weight loss? Internet says approx 7 cal/minute, so that's about 105-315 cal, but doesn't take into account the varying weights of hoops, or the intensity for the workout. Are you weighing and logging everything? How much of your exercise calories are you eating back?
  • Murf2014
    Murf2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought that this was going to be about the crisp snack.

I'm out!
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Are you defining success as weight loss? Internet says approx 7 cal/minute, so that's about 105-315 cal, but doesn't take into account the varying weights of hoops, or the intensity for the workout. Are you weighing and logging everything? How much of your exercise calories are you eating back?

No, I'm defining success as my belly area looking more tone/flat. I thought that is what a weighted hula hoop would do, but maybe the sites I googled about it were lying? I'm not sure what the hoop weighs.. it's not really heavy... I log my food and exercise on this site. I don't eat back any of my exercise calories... I'm usually under my calorie goal. I am losing weight... though I've been bouncing between the same 3 lbs for about a month now. I'm sure I'm losing inches cause I do fit into pants that I once couldn't wear.. but the belly area doesn't really seem to be toning. I wonder if I'm hooping wrong?
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My coworker swears by weighted hula hoops. She has a knee disability and after 3 months of daily use of a hula hoop she felt her "love handles" were diminished.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

No, I'm defining success as my belly area looking more tone/flat. I thought that is what a weighted hula hoop would do, but maybe the sites I googled about it were lying? I'm not sure what the hoop weighs.. it's not really heavy... I log my food and exercise on this site. I don't eat back any of my exercise calories... I'm usually under my calorie goal. I am losing weight... though I've been bouncing between the same 3 lbs for about a month now. I'm sure I'm losing inches cause I do fit into pants that I once couldn't wear.. but the belly area doesn't really seem to be toning. I wonder if I'm hooping wrong?

The only real way to get the "toned" look is to drop your body fat percentage. I'm not sure what your calorie goal is, but you really need to maintain your protein consumption, or risk losing a lot of muscle definition which will prevent you from looking "toned" even if you are at a low body fat percentage. It might be worth posting in the diet and nutrition section to see if someone there would be willing to advise you based on your current consumption and goals. I'm not well versed in this area.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Weighed hula hoops do little to nothing as far as body recomp goes.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce. Weighed hula hoops do little to nothing as far as body recomp goes.

But, they make you feel like a kid again.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

But, they make you feel like a kid again.

1488634kbqvd6hqvc.gif
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I hoop dance, but it's not very weighted, only about 1.5 pounds. I really use it for cardio more than any strength training, but I guess if you're a newbie and you use a heavy enough hoop (i.e., a "fitness hoop," rather than a "dance hoop") it would work your abs more. If you learn arm tricks like isolations as well, you'll work those muscles too.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    I just saw a thread that might be of interest to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    A normal hula hoop is actually more of a workout than a weighted one due to the fact it's you that is making the hoop spin rather than weights. If you want a better workout I'd suggest getting a non-weighted one.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    it should be a decent core workout

but as mentioned you just wont see them until the fat is gone

continue to eat at a defecit, get as close as you can to .75 g of protien per lbs of body fat.

adding a weight routine will also help you look more muscular in general, including the stomach
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 lb hula hoop and within one week I have lost an inch from lower tummy, no extra workouts.