Breastfeeding, trying to lose, crazy hungry & supply

Options
Hi, I am new : ) I am exclusively breastfeeding a 7 week old baby. I don't want too get to intense with the weight loss goals yet since I don't want to compromise my milk supply, but I am wondering how on earth I figure out just how many calories I should be eating.

My problem is that I am insanely hungry. I could probably eat 4,000 calories a day, and probably have, no problem. They say when you're breastfeeding you shouldn't go hungry. Well... I don't see any other way to lose weight besides "going hungry" to some extent. Surely, I don't need 4,000 calories a day to maintain my milk. I am 5'5" and pretty inactive. This is my 3rd child, and from experience, I see that I am one of those women for whom breastfeeding acts as a fat hoarding process. I have the worst time losing weight while breastfeeding.

So, if I make myself eat "only" 2000 or so calories a day, honestly, I sit here feeling extremely hungry. So, how do I figure out what is a reasonable amount of calories to keep up milk supply and lose a pound a week or so, and also, should I just accept being hungry all the time? Will it even out and the hunger will calm down after a while? Is anyone else breastfeeding and ridiculously hungry? I mean seriously I could eat without stopping, it's horrible.

Replies

• ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are you eating when you are "starving"? That will make a difference to how full you feel. Carbs burn quickly, give quick energy but then are gone and will leave you "starving" again. If you eat meals high in protein and fiber they will help you feel full longer. I would look up some numbers to how many "extra calories" a breastfeeding mom needs and figure that into your diet. You are only 7 weeks out from pregnancy, what is the rush?

I would eat well, but not over indulge. Enjoy feeding (and growing) that baby the best stuff on earth.
  • ChrystalF
    ChrystalF Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was starving all the time at first too and just ate whatever I could get my hands on when baby was sleeping. Now he is 8 months old and I have just started logging my calories. I wouldn't go too low when your little one is so young, you could always check what your calorie intake would be to maintain weight and then see if the calories you are burning from breastfeeding help with the weight loss? I think you burn around 400-500 calories a day breastfeeding? I ate 1900 calories yesterday and was fine but woke up starving today, where on past diets I could survive on 1200 no problem. I am going to stick with around 1800 to 2000 and see how it goes, but my lo is also eating some solids. Like pp said I would try to make sure your meals and snacks have protein and complex carbs to help keep you full longer.

Congrats on your little one :-)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new arrival! Oh how I miss the newborn snuggles and little 'milk drunk' expressions....now my 18 month old barely sits still long enough for a cuddle!

Eat if you're hungry. Your body is still healing and your milk supply is probably still regulating a little at 7 weeks. I ate at maintenance and occasionally added back breastfeeding calories if I was extra hungry, or extra tired. I find protein helps to keep me full, as does fat - maybe ensure your snacks are high in these to help

:flowerforyou:
  • becker420
    becker420 Posts: 59
    Options
    I breast feed two childern. right now with my understanding. Eat what you want just try to keep it healthy. By breast feeding your are burning calories already.
  • godslilgerl
    godslilgerl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when my son was young like that. I was starving all the time and I ate till full and found I was gaining weight and quickly. I couldn't believe it because it did not happen like that w/my first son. Luckily I can tell you my appetite did curb I wanna say around 3-4 months. My son is 5 months old now and I'm eating between 1900-2100 calories and am steadily losing weight. Most of the articles I've read say to not go below 1800 calories while nursing.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! Good to know I'm not the only one who feels ravenous while breastfeeding, at least at this early stage. I'm wondering if I'm not getting enough healthy fats? I am going to try adding coconut oil and more butter and see if it helps. It seems like I could eat carbs endlessly without getting full. And carbs are easy when you have a newborn to take care of, you can just grab something with one hand while baby is in the other hand. I think my baby eats a lot of calories in milk too. He's huge for his age.
  • Asarsfield15
    Options
    I'm breast feeding as well and my friend who is a nutritionist said I should not go below 1800 but 2000 is reasonable. If I were not fb and wanted to lose weight she would suggest 1600 including what I work off with exercising. I'm losing inches but not losing a lb which my doctor attributes to the bf. drink lots of water that will help. Good luck and congrats on the new addition
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat except a few weeks further along than you. I'm eating about 1800 calories right now on non-exercise days--my account is set up for losing a pound a week but then I log -500 calories for BFing so I might as well have it at maintenance and save myself the hassle :P. I eat back pretty much all of my exercise calories. I've also started upping my protein and that helps with the hunger issues--plus I'm not quite so ravenous as I was so that helps too. Also if I go over my calorie allotment I try not to stress too much about it. I'm losing at about a pound a week, which kellymom.com says is a safe rate of loss to protect supply and baby is gaining with lots of wet diapers so I think it's going ok.
  • christine0717
    Options
    I am in the same place! My daughter is 11 weeks EBF and I've completely stalled on the weight loss. My body is holding onto to this jello-like jiggly flab and it's annoying!! I try to not go over 1800 calories a day but I find I'm always hungry.
    I also find it tough to get back to running. I ran a 1/2 marathon at 22 weeks preg but now a 1.5 mile run has me winded.
    Thus, my weight loss has stalled. :(
    I'm thinking after I'm done BF it will come off...that's what happened with my other kids
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

When you think you're hungry, have a glass of water. If it persists then go for a little walk. Even if its just to the mailbox and back, or a few laps around the house. If after 20 minutes or so passes, if you're still 'hungry' then eat something. But a controlled something.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    for exclusively breastfeeding you need to eat at least 500 more calories a day....and try not to drop below 1800 otherwise you can damage your milk supply....I didn't really seriously start losing weight until after a year because it IS hard, because you are always hungry....

Finally at almost 2 years old my appetite is slowing down and now I've lowered my extra calories to 300, but I still find it hard and pretty much always go over.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a very hard time controlling my appetite when I was nursing, too, and it seemed I gained weight, too.
    If you are looking at trying to stay within 2000 (unfortunately I have little advice on what you burn while bfing) I would say stick to voluminous foods. Foods with little calories but that help you feel fuller. Jello, raw spinach, those two come to mind. I sometimes make my protein shakes (and I don't know if you can drink those while nursing) with xanthan gum to make them thicker, and it helps me to feel full.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
    for exclusively breastfeeding you need to eat at least 500 more calories a day....and try not to drop below 1800 otherwise you can damage your milk supply....I didn't really seriously start losing weight until after a year because it IS hard, because you are always hungry....

Finally at almost 2 years old my appetite is slowing down and now I've lowered my extra calories to 300, but I still find it hard and pretty much always go over.

Still breastfeeding at almost 2 years? Wow, good for you!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I breast fed all three of mine, and I could not eat below 2000 without turning into a ravening beast.

My advice would be to wait until your baby is AT LEAST 3-4 months old before thinking about losing weight. If you really want to keep it under control, set your weight loss to 1/2lb per week (or even maintenance), log your breast feeding as exercise (or quick-add 300-500 cal of exercise per day) and concentrate on getting some light exercise several days per week (if cleared by your doctor).
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both of mine, and the general rule I've always heard is to take your base calories and add 500 when you're exclusively breastfeeding. Oatmeal was my friend, too, because it's filling and can have a boosting effect on your supply.

If your supply is in and regulated (ie: you're not engorged anymore and baby has fallen into a routine) then I'd vote that it's safe to start losing weight. Just keep a close eye on your supply, and if it begins to dip, raise your caloric intake. And drink LOTS of water!

I'm still nursing my almost-3-year-old, and I'm just now focusing on weight loss. Anytime I tried prior to now, my supply would dip, my little guy would nurse nonstop, and I'd be a ravenous, cranky beast. IMO, at 7 weeks, supply is more important than weight loss, so that would be my primary focus if you begin restricting calories.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new addition! Nurse on, mama!