A little rant about irony

Options
RWTBR
RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
So, I belong to a running club. This one guy who is dating someone from our club, who shows up and just walks, keeps posting articles on our facebook page about how serious long distance running causes heart problems. Ironic since he's fat. But this kinda irks me. Many fat people are the first ones to say, "Don't you ever talk about my body," etc. But then they go and say stupid things like running is bad for your knees, oh it's unhealthy, you shouldn't be running. I'm thinking, "Really? Look at yourself. You have no business giving health advice to anyone." I plan to ignore it, but it's so aggravating.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    don't they say those who can't do, teach?

the amount of people who like to say "don't XXXXX do YYYYY" and they haven't worked out a day in their life- or their idea of working out is going for a walk- and they are trying to give advice on serious training is just exhausting.

They want to feel included and like they have something to offer I suppose.

it's exhausting- I have learned to just smile and nod and say that's not what I'm doing. Rarely does someone come up with an actual valid point to be discussed- so I just don't bother engaging.

(The woman who told me she was going on the indian diet- eating maze and corn and chit- yes- that clearly sounds like a great idea-)
    let them have their moment and be done with it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Taking this on a bit of a tangent - something I intend on looking into is new information floating around about how endurance training/competing in endurance events increases the risk of heart disease. This is important to me because endurance training is what I love to do. I can see why it would be this way, but I want more information on it.

Anyway, back on the main topic: I feel for you. My entire family isn't in good shape by any means. I'm the only one who is active and even slightly athletic. My one brother is starting to try, but he's doing it half-assed. He's going to wind up injuring and won't accept a grain of advice for me. However, they all like to tell me how I should be doing it. It is very frustrating.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    running can be damaging to your knees, and i've definitely heard about people dying whilst running marathons etc, but (regarding the deaths) was there other underlying problems? newspapers always focus on it being caused by running.
    long term obesity is bad for the knees, and lets face it being overweight nobodys ever died from that right?
    the next time he posts something like that, what i would do is post something about benefits of losing weight and exercise

if that doesn't make him stop ignore him or block him,
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Anyway, back on the main topic: I feel for you. My entire family isn't in good shape by any means. I'm the only one who is active and even slightly athletic. My one brother is starting to try, but he's doing it half-assed. He's going to wind up injuring and won't accept a grain of advice for me. However, they all like to tell me how I should be doing it. It is very frustrating.

my mom keeps telling me power lifting is going to injury me- and I should give it up and that the dancing won't cause any issues.
    I spend more hours on my feet drilling repetitive stuff dancing than I do lifting LOL- shrug. (She's not anti weight lifting- but she's not convinced training for max lifts is a wise decision)

And my BF- he won't take ANY advice from me what so ever. He once asked me why I wanted to break 200 lbs on my squat - I could get the same results doing 200 hindu squats.
    I really almost choked on my food.

Texted him a picture yesterday of my DL bar (which is on the floor) with my new record weight- and he was like- OH GREAT! for squats?

sigh- I just. I just can't. some people really have no clue.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    The truth is that most competitive sports, done long term can lead to injury and physical issues. I don't compete in power lifting for my health or healthy living. I do it because I love it. Anything done over an extended period of time, when you push your body to extremes, has risks. The best we can do is recognize potential risks and do our best to safeguard ourselves. When anyone tells me I can get hurt doing what I'm doing, I can't argue. Not too long ago, I rolled 285lbs over my neck and the back of my head when a squat went wrong. Things can go wrong in any sport. You have to learn to respect what your doing.

My argument is that you have to pick your poison, particularly as you age. I'll be 50 this year and my body often aches. Do I let it ache from sitting on my butt and doing f.a. or do I let it ache because I pushed things a bit too hard ?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    running can be damaging to your knees,
    Actually the research says the opposite. Runners normally create more cartilage in the joint which actually strengthens the knee joints
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    and i've definitely heard about people dying whilst running marathons etc,

I looked at the paper today. There's a whole section about people dying! SOME OF THEM EVEN DIED IN THEIR SLEEP!!
    I'm definitely not going to do THAT anymore....
  • JoRocka
    Options

I looked at the paper today. There's a whole section about people dying! SOME OF THEM EVEN DIED IN THEIR SLEEP!!

I literally just almost got busted for not working because I snorted laughing so hard.

You owe me a new keyboard.

I also almost choked to death reading the internet and AND I got a paper cut.

I should definitely NOT be doing work or internetz any more- that **** is dangerous for my health!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Taking this on a bit of a tangent - something I intend on looking into is new information floating around about how endurance training/competing in endurance events increases the risk of heart disease. This is important to me because endurance training is what I love to do. I can see why it would be this way, but I want more information on it.

There has been a few posts on this forum regarding this. A doctor friend of mine explained it to me after reviewing the actualy study (I haven't seen a direct link to the study). It doesn't increase the risk of heart disease. The study noted that higher mileage athletes tend to have a short life expectency than moderate mileage ones. What the articles don't usually spell out is that it isn't significantly less and is still considerably longer than those who do not exercise at all. Bascially, if you are doing it to get healthy, more is not always the best.
    running can be damaging to your knees, and i've definitely heard about people dying whilst running marathons etc, but (regarding the deaths) was there other underlying problems? newspapers always focus on it being caused by running.
    long term obesity is bad for the knees, and lets face it being overweight nobodys ever died from that right?
    the next time he posts something like that, what i would do is post something about benefits of losing weight and exercise

if that doesn't make him stop ignore him or block him,

There is no evidence that running damages knees, in fact, there is evidence to suggest it helps in the long run.

Most deaths that occur while running are pre-existing conditions, some which are undetectable.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would gently point out that deaths due to obesity and obesity related illnesses are far more prevalent and also highly preventable. That may seem harsh, but it's a fair assessment and could help this person see that they're input is not wanted or helpful.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the responses so far, especially the funny ones!

You know what I think, though? Who cares if I die when I am 70 because I ran marathons? I'd rather do what I love, be fit and have a rocking body, and actually accomplish something instead of living in fear and sitting on my fat *kitten* all day, being a wimp. It's really sad this anti-fitness, anti-thinness culture we have in this country now. Groups of fatties like NAAFA are taking over and telling everyone to be happy with mediocrity. I'm all fired up now, I think I'm going to go for another run after work!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's like people who say that squats are bad because they ruin your knees

squats are bad for your knees if you do them wrong. and people who don't want to do squats (or don't want to go below parallel on squats) use "it's bad for your knees" as an excuse... although some I think are genuinely misinformed... for the misinformed people you should probably post an article about how this is a myth, but for the excuse makers, they'll find a reason not to believe the article. So only post it once.

I think running is a great exercise for other people. I don't do it because personally, I hate it and I'd rather walk. I also think it's better that people should just be upfront about not wanting to do a particular exercise rather than making excuses. I have no excuse for not running. I just don't like it. I prefer other kinds of exercise instead.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Lord, save me from having to talk to people who don't exercise but think they know everything about it! I almost had to quit going for lunchtime walks with the other girls in my department. We have one who has lost 30 pounds in the last 3 months on Atkins and thinks our lunchtime walk is the only exercise anyone should need, and two other Zumba/yoga girls who are afraid of barbells and think women shouldn't use them.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I think running is a great exercise for other people. I don't do it because personally, I hate it and I'd rather walk. I also think it's better that people should just be upfront about not wanting to do a particular exercise rather than making excuses. I have no excuse for not running. I just don't like it. I prefer other kinds of exercise instead.

ZOMG THIS.
    this makes me crazy. seriously.

people who say they don't have time- or x or y- it's not about time- or anything else- it's because you do not want to- and or it is not a priority. you want to lose weight- sure- but won't do the work- then you don't' want to lose it badly enough.

I'm not sure why not wanting to do a thing requires excusing it to the world with silly made up things.

If you don't LIKE doing it- don't do it.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I feel like when larger people complain about jogging is going to ruin their knees there is truth in it .. but also excuse. It's easy for me (at over 340lb) to use that as an excuse to not push myself and jog. Oh .. I can get a knee injury .. perfect excuse not to jog!

Jogging is hard at this weight .. everything hurts when you do it .. it's uncomfortable and awkward .. and it's easy for that to be an excuse to not do it. You just got to though (or do anything, not just specifically jogging. It's easy to make excuses to not exercise at all at bigger weights - isn't just a jogging thing)

However at this weight I feel like there is a LOT more weight being pushed onto my knees and i'd be MORE prone to getting injured than someone else. Not that jogging itself would injure my knee but the fact that I'm so overweight makes it so I'd be more prone to getting an injury. I have nothing to back this up it's just my opinion. I do want to say though that I was jogging at over 350 lb (albeit slow and shuffling but it was faster than what I was walking) and I worked my way up to it by walking, then walking faster, then jogging for 10 seconds and walking a minute, then I was jogging for 30 seconds and walking a minute etc. Sometimes my knee would actually get a pain and I'd just walk it off.

With that said I slacked off for awhile, gained back some of the weight I lost back then but I know when I am ready (taking it slow again) I'll be back to jogging my intervals because it is a good workout.

As a side note .. maybe talk to that guys SO and ask her (or him idk) to have the guy stop. It's a RUNNING club after all .. you are RUNNING. If he doesn't like the RUNNING club he can politely not go and not be part of the fb group. Also, if it's an actual group on FB whoever is in charge of it can kick his account out I believe.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

the first sword of Bravos does not run
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I appreciate all of the responses so far, especially the funny ones!

You know what I think, though? Who cares if I die when I am 70 because I ran marathons? I'd rather do what I love, be fit and have a rocking body, and actually accomplish something instead of living in fear and sitting on my fat *kitten* all day, being a wimp. It's really sad this anti-fitness, anti-thinness culture we have in this country now. Groups of fatties like NAAFA are taking over and telling everyone to be happy with mediocrity. I'm all fired up now, I think I'm going to go for another run after work!

what if he was not fat and just perferred other forms of exercise, would it offend you any less?

just currious, no right or wrong answer as far as i'm concerned
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keep with the ignoring. Runners know the health benefits from running!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    The truth is that most competitive sports, done long term can lead to injury and physical issues.

i agree