Thinking of trying a paleo diet!!!

Options
Hey what's going on everyone!!!! So I've been doing some reading on the Paleo diet, and honestly I'm quite intrigued and interested in trying it out. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it, is still doing it, and what their results have been like? Mind you I'm trying to lean out more, and from what I've been reading this might be a good way to go. I'm open to hearing what any and everyone thinks. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• hayleyhewett93
    Options
    I tried it but it restricted my social life too much, so gave in. Might work for people with high motivation levels though!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    How would it help you lean out more?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Honestly there is nothing magical about paleo. If you want to lean out eat at a deficit, lift weights and do some cardio.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat in a calorie deficit = lean out more

does not matter whether you use paleo, IIFYM, low carb, IF, keto, et al to get there …none of them are superior to the other...
  • toadster88
    toadster88 Posts: 1
    Options
    I did this for about a month last year, dropped 22 pounds in one month but dang it's really hard to stay on a hard-core paleo diet with teenagers in the house... if nothing else you'll learn what you like/don't like about it and grow from there.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am doing the paleo thing. I really like it. It can be hard at times when faced with some social settings but I can usually plan for it in advance and depending on where you live (metro area) there are places that support "clean eating".

I feel so much better eating paleo. I will admit that I have gut issues and this was exactly what I needed. Since I started paleo, I haven't really lost much weight but I have lost inches (6 inches) in 5 weeks most around my waist/belly button.

I would suspect that is what you mean when you say you want to lean out. :)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't eat solely Paleo but I eat clean and have made a few Paleo recipes.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Tried that too...
    Why give up an the majority of an entire food group?
    I looked soft
    I was angry
    I couldn't think straight
    Went back to good old sensible eating

No to crossfit and no to Paleo over here.

You should party both and experience for yourself!

A
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't eat solely Paleo but I eat clean and have made a few Paleo recipes.

lol
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Before you try it, perhaps you should watch all or part of a 71 part analysis of the Paleo myth. Each well referenced chapter is between approx. 4-12 minutes. . It is quite thorough and complete, a serious tome of information not to be overlooked. Best of luck with your decision.

Welcome to The Primitive Nutrition Series! Created by someone who was nearly seduced by the Paleo Diet idea before going vegan, these videos provide a wide-ranging response to the evolution-inspired rationale for meat eating which so many have uncritically accepted.

Ever wonder...
    Will fruit make me fat? Unlikely. See 49.
    Is grass-fed beef an environmentally responsible food? This opens 70.
    Weren't the Eskimos healthy eating a completely animal-based diet? 27 answers this.
    Isn't there great research supporting low-carb diets? 52 looks at some of it.
    Were our Ice Age ancestors low-carbers? Probably not. 11 explains.
    Should I trust the advice of the primitive diet gurus? Watch them all!

These videos are intended to be viewed in order, from 1 to 71. See them all and you will never again fall for a fad diet. It's time to move away from gimmickery and hype, and toward a healthy and sustainable future. Let's start something positive!
    UNQUOTE
  • kris10nic
    kris10nic Posts: 2
    Options
    I would purchase the book "It Starts With Food" and then make your decision. I am on my second Whole 30 and I honestly feel great when eating a paleo lifestyle. I think whatever route you choose, added sugar should be eliminated from everyone's diet. It has zero nutritional value. I also discovered for me personally, flour especially, but also some grains were hard for me to digest and caused stomach issues, fatigue, weight gain and just general feelings of malaise. However, when I am really working out hard, (lifting heavy and doing HIIT workouts) I found the lack of carbs to hinder my performance. On these days I find myself adding in either sweet potatoes or potatoes, beans, or oats (My body seems to process oats fine) both pre and post workout. So I do a modified version of paleo. I agree with the previous blogger who suggested trying it. Everyone is different. Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would purchase the book "It Starts With Food" and then make your decision. I am on my second Whole 30 and I honestly feel great when eating a paleo lifestyle. I think whatever route you choose, added sugar should be eliminated from everyone's diet. It has zero nutritional value. I also discovered for me personally, flour especially, but also some grains were hard for me to digest and caused stomach issues, fatigue, weight gain and just general feelings of malaise. However, when I am really working out hard, (lifting heavy and doing HIIT workouts) I found the lack of carbs to hinder my performance. On these days I find myself adding in either sweet potatoes or potatoes, beans, or oats (My body seems to process oats fine) both pre and post workout. So I do a modified version of paleo. I agree with the previous blogger who suggested trying it. Everyone is different. Good luck!

wait, so "added" sugar is someone bad, but natural sugar from a sweet potatoe is "good"....okie dokie...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

does not matter whether you use paleo, IIFYM, low carb, IF, keto, et al to get there …none of them are superior to the other...

this.

paleo is an idea- and it's actually a great way to research new recipes- but it can be overly restrictive for many people- and the list of do not eats is significantly longer than the list of "do eat" which makes it incredibly difficult to follow if you go die hard.

also- they don't allow oreos's.. and ice cream. and beer. and pizza.

So I'm out.
  • kris10nic
    kris10nic Posts: 2
    Options
    The point I was trying to make is most things with added sugar , most, not all, tend to be food that don't have any other nutrients your body needs. Like cookies, or something along those lines. a sweet potato has other nutrients as well. People can eat whatever they want and still lose weight, as long as they burn more calories than they consume obviously, It just makes more sense to me to get calories from nutritional foods. I was just sharing how I personally feel eating the way I do with the person who originally asked the question. Notice I also mentioned everyone is different and what works for some people does not work for others.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Before you try it, perhaps you should watch all or part of a 71 part analysis of the Paleo myth. Each well referenced chapter is between approx. 4-12 minutes. . It is quite thorough and complete, a serious tome of information not to be overlooked. Best of luck with your decision.

Welcome to The Primitive Nutrition Series! Created by someone who was nearly seduced by the Paleo Diet idea before going vegan, these videos provide a wide-ranging response to the evolution-inspired rationale for meat eating which so many have uncritically accepted.

Ever wonder...
    Weren't the Eskimos healthy eating a completely animal-based diet? 27 answers this.

These videos are intended to be viewed in order, from 1 to 71. See them all and you will never again fall for a fad diet. It's time to move away from gimmickery and hype, and toward a healthy and sustainable future. Let's start something positive!
    UNQUOTE

This doesn't explain anything, especially since Paleo lifestyle in not inherently a low carb eating plan. It is a WHOLE foods way of eating, not necessarily low carb unless you need it to be that way due to health issues such as Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

I am in the minority of being a low carb Paleo person. Most everyone I know eats plenty, plenty of carbs by way of vegetables and fruit. I have hormonal issues my body is slowly working its way through so for ME eating higher fat, moderate protein and lower on the carbs is the best way to go.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

this.

paleo is an idea- and it's actually a great way to research new recipes- but it can be overly restrictive for many people- and the list of do not eats is significantly longer than the list of "do eat" which makes it incredibly difficult to follow if you go die hard.

also- they don't allow oreos's.. and ice cream. and beer. and pizza.

So I'm out.

Lol. I agree wholeheartedly. I could never give up beer.

I also think it "works" because you cut out so many things the foods you do eat have fewer calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The whole foods concept is a fine one, as I do think we should eat as much unprocessed whole foods as possible, but I don't like the restrictions on grains and other whole foods like legumes and even sugar. I like those things, and while some people like diabetics and celiac disease sufferers could benefit, the majority of people don't need to be this restrictive to lose weight and be in shape.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out the primal blue print - it's a less restrictive version of paleo.

If you focus on the diet and don't pay too much attention to the eating like an ancestor marketing its a good diet. As it's low carb high fat it controls your hunger (well has for me) and makes sticking to a calorie deficit a lot easier than calorie counting or trying to jump straight into eating in moderation.

Also I have felt my energy levels have risen and I do not need any carbs to fuel low level work outs and only need to carb up on more intense anaerobic work outs.

The diet does suggest cutting out/or back on grains and added sugar, which can be a problem as it only leaves a couple of million other food combinations to choose from.

If you are interested I would recommend giving it a try - www.marksdailyapple.com - it's free.

Will it work for you and will you enjoy it??? you don't know till you try it.

At worst your as healthy and you've tried a different way of eating.

At best you've got underlying intolerance to wheat or gluten which you didn't realise and you feel healthier.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    How to Really Eat Like a Hunter-Gatherer: Why the Paleo Diet Is Half-Baked [Interactive & Infographic]

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat/
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Ever wonder...

UNQUOTE

This doesn't explain anything, especially since Paleo lifestyle in not inherently a low carb eating plan. It is a WHOLE foods way of eating, not necessarily low carb unless you need it to be that way due to health issues such as Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

I am in the minority of being a low carb Paleo person. Most everyone I know eats plenty, plenty of carbs by way of vegetables and fruit. I have hormonal issues my body is slowly working its way through so for ME eating higher fat, moderate protein and lower on the carbs is the best way to go.

not sure what your point is. Are you trying to trivialize this conversation by making it about the definition of what a "whole food" is? We will agree that processed foods are not whole foods.

I guess it will make more sense if you look at the actual link provided, should that appeal to you.