Should I do cardio every day?

Options
I joined a gym about a month ago and I restarted the C25K program (currently in week 6). I do that 3 days/week, and on my off days I do weights and some type of class (pilates, strength, or cardio (dance, aerobics). I have between 50 and 60 pounds to lose, so should I be doing intense cardio every day? I warm up my muscles on my weight days with a 5 minute elliptical, and I'm at the gym 6 days/week. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Your body needs time to recover. Just eat less on the days you don't exercise.
  • KelleP
    KelleP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What about weights some days and alternate cardio other days? I agree that you do need rest days or you'll soon burn out or cause injuries. I try to stretch daily at minimum. Good luck!!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    How do you feel when you do cardio every day?

There is nothing wrong with doing something every day but maybe on some days make it a little less intense.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day

I Sweat Daily!

It keeps me happy
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not doing intense cardio every day. I guess I'm just wondering if I should. I generally do strength or light cardio on my non-run days. I was sore for a couple weeks straight, but my body is adjusting and feeling better now. I always stretch and use a foam roller after my workouts.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Completely a personal decision. Listen to your body though and if it tells you to take a day off, by all means take a day off! The best exercise routine for losing weight is the one that you will stick with so find what you enjoy and stick with it!!
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    IF you are having a steady loss every week, I would stick to the plan you already have. If you plateau then seek to change something. If you try to do too much all at once in an attempt to speed up your loss, you may burn out.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cardio will help a lot generating the caloric deficit you need to lose body fat. You don't "need to" or "have to", but it will help a LOT.

I've been exercising since last summer, and I find that the pattern 3-1-2-1 works awesome for serious cardio workouts. Three days cardio in a row, one rest day, two more days of cardio, one day of full rest.

Rests are critical. They are probably the most important part of any workout, but specially for cardio. You can do one of those rest days as an active rest (exercising below 60% HRM) or do two full rest days, but one of them must be full or else you won't fully recover.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    What is your reasoning to do cardio everyday? For fitness and health or are you trying to utilize it for weight loss? Because if it's for weight loss, then it's more about your diet than exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • micheles234
    micheles234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback! My reasoning is for both health and weight loss. I'm a student and going into the nursing program this fall, so I wanted to take the Summer and really work on myself and go into the fall feeling good and strong. My gym membership runs through the end of next April, so it's not a short-term deal. I enjoy the gym and want to make it a part of my life. Today is my actual first day of counting my calories, although I've been eating healthy. I've done MFP twice in the past and I know it works. I take days off when I feel I need them. I just wasn't sure if I should "kill it" with cardio every day I'm there, because I haven't been. They say that lifting burns calories for several hours. MFP doesn't calculate any calorie burn for lifting. Does anyone know what it would be??
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The strength training section is just for you to keep track. If you want it to add calories you have to enter it under cardio as strength training or circuit training.