I need sodium help (recipies, tips etc)

Options
I've come to the decision that I would like to lower my daily salt intake. I leave it at 2500 mg but I'd like to be under as often as possible but I need help.

I am looking for recipies for breakfast and lunch mainly that are low in sodium . I need tips on how I can "season" meat, salad, veggies, etc with something other than salt. What do ya'll eat for snacks that are good low sodium choices.

Has anyone tried those 1/2 salt and no salt options. Do they taste good?

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    The less you add salt-the less you want it. I don't salt anything and I don't really notice a difference.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I really love the Mrs. Dash seasonings. The lemon pepper is fabulous! Actually, they're all good! :smile: There is no sodium whatsoever in those seasonings.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs Dash garlic seasoning that's supposed to be low sodium. It's not salt, but it does add flavor using other things- more peppery like, tho. Sorry, that's not much help....

The no-salt stuff is not good at all, IMO!
    BuMP for later!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My salt is always WAY under because I make everything from scratch and don't consume anything processed at all except for the weight watchers multigran bread.

My breakfast is either an egg and the weight watchers bread toasted, or oatmeal with fresh or frozen berries

Lunches are typically a 2 cup homemade salad with sliced chicken breasts or hard boiled eggs (I tend to make my own oil based dressings to avoid sodium in commerically prepared ones, my current favorite is some good olive oil with lemon juice and some fresh dill)

Dinner is typically a lean protein with steamed veggies and every 2nd day I will add 1/4 c of either brown rice or whole wheat couscous.

I have a cupoard FULL of spices to season my protein instead of salt. Tastes much better too!

#1 - paprika, cumin, chili pwdr, garlic pwdr for a "mexican type seasoning"
    #2 - Mrs. Dash Greek Seasoning (really good on pork)
    #3 - fresh ground pepper, celery seasoning, poultry seasoning, oregano (good on poultry)
    #4 - 5 spice Chinese pwdr, garlic pwdr, fresh ground pepper

I could actually keep going for ages . . . I now cook with LOTS of fresh herbs and spices instead of fat and salt and absolutely LOVE it . . . everyone who has sampled anything raves about the flavor. I have revamped all of my recipes to be much healthier.

Snacks for me are either fruit, crunchy veggies dipped in hummus, almonds, or a nice cup of herbal tea.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    not sure of the spelling but I got some greek season Calverliars Salt Free, I even put it on my eggs in the morning instead of salt and pepper.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I confess to be a salt-a-holic. I really didn't find a no salt or half salt alternative that I like, although I have read in a few different places that natural sea salt is supposed to be somewhat better for your body.
    The best advice that I have found so far is to use more herbs and spices while cooking, especially fresh, like basil, rosemary, garlic etc.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I usually eat leftovers from supper for lunch so that is an easy choice (if dinner was low in sodium). Other easy options are throwing some grilled chicken on top of salad (use lemon juice/olive oil for dressing). The easiest way I season chicken for that is with a sprinkle of garlic salt but I you could use any of the Mrs. Dash too.

Breakfast -- I scramble up an egg/egg white combo with some mushrooms and a little bit of low-fat cheese (you could even leave out the cheese, it is the highest in sodium.) Or I do oatmeal (the kind you cook on the stove, not the packets) with a glass of milk (or prepare it with milk). Fresh fruit is always a good choice and very low in sodium too.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i rarely salt anything i make at home. my husband likes salt a lot, so it goes on the table for him, but not for me.

if i do use any for seasoning meat or whole wheat pasta, i use a bit of sea salt.

when i cook i use a lot of ground pepper, fresh garlic and onion for flavoring. i also use things in sauces such as fresh lemon juice, wine etc. for soups and stuff i use mrs. dash. that really brings out a lot of flavor in homemade chicken noodle soup! YUM! when i cook meat for instance..........i saute onion and garlic together then put my meat it.. really gives it a kick!

and i'm always experimenting with other spices like rosemary, thyme, marjoram, etc..... i think that if you can bring more flavor out of your food, you don't even notice the whole salt thing. but i'm also not a big salt person.

i'm working on taking some out of my husband's diet by making everything very flavorful with spices. i've noticed he has stopped using so much in the last 6 months :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    www.lowsodiumcooking.com has been a great go-to site for me :)
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    We use a lot of the Mrs. Dash - you get pretty good flavor. I tried using the salt substitute and you get the flavor of no salt, but honestly I still got the bloating effects. Looks for the low sodium versions of foods you buy - things like no salt added canned tomatoes and sauces can really help with things like spaghetti sauces and chilis. We use a lot of garlic - it really makes up for less salt in our food.
    The first big step is to not add salt to anything you're cooking, using other seasoning to give the flavor boost.

Lunches for me are usually leftovers from dinner too.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....looks like I'm going to have to get some mrs dash and start some experimenting!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with the ideas ya'll have given me and I like it. I'm on day 3 of eating lower sodium. I've kept under 1300 mg and today is under 1000.

My food is still flavorful just different (in a good way) best of all.....I've already in that short time lost the bloat I've had for 6 weeks!!

thanks