Hi, why do i feel slightly embarrased typing/logging on here

Options
Hi, i'm Monkey (schoolboy nickname).

30 Male, 6'2".

Every year in January i go on a Detox, i cut out lots of stuff, and live healthy for 30 days, its more a dicipline/making up for Xmas than loosing weight, but this year i thought i'd weigh myself before i started 106kg!!!! thats nearly 17st. i have a fat gut/waist (40" trouser were bought at the weekend) and a bit of fat round the face/neck, arms and legs are fine and just muscle (how can this be?)

i then bought a Salter all singing and dancing scales (i like my gadgets, and i can plug this into my computer and get grapths and charts (i'm also a bit of a statto)) and that said i'm 105.5kg, woohoo i lost 0.5kg doing nothing, liturally, i bought the Salters about 1 hour after my first weigh-in

so i decided i had to do something about it for 3 reasons.

1, its not healthy, my lifestyle, the food, the drink everything it has to change and it changes now (well yesterday)

B, i am best man at my Best mates wedding in September, i need to look good for the photos, as they will imortalise my look, and im not looking my best now.

iii, to prove to my G/F it can be done, for years she has said she's on a diet, and she hasnt been, she has actually put on weight since i've known her, i'm not fussed about her weight, what annoys me is the fact she say something and doesnt do it. no dicipline, so i'm going to prove i can loose weight and show her, and hopefully motivate her, so that when my mates wedding (shes a bridemaid) we both look our best. i'm fed up of going shopping with her and hearing "it wont fit" or "its for skinny people" etc, my view is [for everything] if you dont like it do something about it, and it boils down to 2 things you can do, remove your self from the problem or remove the problem from you.

my Ideal weight (going by BMI) for my height and age is 67-88kg (or so a few websites say) so i'm aiming for 85kg, that a 21kg loss. it can be done, and i'm going to do it

anyway i ramble on a bit

Replies

• coachweaver
    Options
    Don't be embarassed! You are taking control of your health and that is very important. Good work and welcome. I hope you find this site motivating and educational. One trick in regards to the changes you want to make is to not get overwhelmed and start changing things slowly. Focus on portion sizes rather than completely changing everything you eat right away. The other trick I LOVE because I also enjoy a glass of wine or other beverage TOO frequently is instead of wine find another low cal "treat like" beverage such as a flavorful tea or setlzer water (no sugar). Its okay to put a splash of juice in the seltzer to make it tast better but not too much.

Also Just remember this "It's hard to be overweight, its hard to lose weight, its hard to maintain your weight...you just have to pick which hard you want to live with". Good luck on your journey.
  • huntress74
    huntress74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were in the same situation...We were both very fit when we met, but are in our mid 30s now, and I have been yo-yo dieting for the last few years. I've gained about 30 pounds since we met, and he's gained weight right along with me. I had stopped wanting my picture taken, and would get irritated everytime we would shop. I found myself wearing black a lot and saying snide remarks about people who were skinny. I found myself trying anything that came out on the market to lose weight. It seemed like a terrible vicious cycle, and I was miserable.

Sick of all the weighloss gimmicks I kept coming up with, my husband decided he would take the lead, and be an example for both of us. It kinda started out as an experiment...

He's been out for 5 years now, but my husband was in the Army for several years. He decided to look up the qualifications for The US Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and started working his way up to a score of 100 in each of the three categories. This is where he was when we met.... (you'll see what I mean when you look at the charts).

Go to this link: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm and click on your age group for males.

Anyway, he's been eating no more than 2000 calories a day and working out an hour at least 3-4X a week. He does situps, pushups, treadmill, and punches a heavy bag. At first, he scored in the 50s and after 3 weeks, he is in the 70s. Hes lost over 15 pounds and is looking good.

He opened my eyes to a fact I had been running from for the last two years.....that is, you have to eat right and work out, and you have to work out routinely to see results. You have to dedicate yourself to it. There is no other way to go about it. He has motivated me to get on board, showing me that it can be done if you want it bad enough. And, I am seeing him transform before my eyes.

At first I was very jealous of his progress and made every excuse for myself not to do it... My favorite excuse was that it would be too hard for me and that it's easier for him to loose weight because hes a guy...etc. I would roll my eyes everytime he would go to the computer and log in his daily food intake....I was not very supportive at first and probably gave him a hard time.
    But, one day after I went downstairs and saw how hard he was working at it and how much effort and sweat he was really putting into it, I changed my attitude. And that's really what it is all about....the right attitude.

I had to overcome my pride (a very difficult task) and ask for his help. I had to admit that I needed his motivation and support. Not just for the physical change, but emotionally as well. Now we are doing this together. Hang in there. Get healthy for you and I am sure your girlfriend will appreciate it and follow your lead. :smile:

A