P90x questions

Options
Hey
I've just started p90x lean a few days ago and in my opinion I think I'm doing pretty good.
Here's what my day looks like... First thing I do in the morning is get up and exercise at 7:00 am eat breakfast at 8 snack at 10 lunch at 12:30 ish snack at 3:30 then dinner at 6. You can see what it is that I eat everyday on my profile. I'm supposed to be on phase 1 level 2 on the nutrition end of things and I'm not sure if I should be trying to take in more calories on a good day I can get up to 1500 calories but from the nutrition book it says I have to eat like 2400 calories any good ideas? And because I'm pretty new at this if u have any suggestions for me using p90x please tell me. I soooo badly want to succed

Replies

• Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm on my second week of lean too! I think that the calorie count for p90x is a little high, so I've been trying to stay at around 1400. Most people on MFP recommend between 1200-1400 for women. What you're eating sounds good to me, as long as you have energy for your workouts. Now that I'm building muscle I find that I don't have to eat more, but much more frequently, and I need more protein.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Yeah-I have never eaten as much as they say you should. It is a lot.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The recommended calorie count for women is pretty high. My first round of P90X classic I ate between 1700-1900 calories. I lost 24 pounds. I would recommend using a heart rate monitor and start with eating half of your exercise calories. From there, see how your results are. If you bonk out (take a nap on a Saturday for two hours mid-day) then you need more clean calories.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    edorice gives good advice here! i agree 100%!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The recommended calorie count for women is pretty high. My first round of P90X classic I ate between 1700-1900 calories. I lost 24 pounds. I would recommend using a heart rate monitor and start with eating half of your exercise calories. From there, see how your results are. If you bonk out (take a nap on a Saturday for two hours mid-day) then you need more clean calories.

I take it that P90X had you in the 2400 range?

I was in the 1800 calorie group, and I didn't even have that much. Funny thing is, I thought that I was! I followed the Portion Plan Approach listed in their nutrition guide and I was eating exactly the portions that I was supposed to have everyday. I measured and weighed everything so my portions were the right size. But with that approach, you don't need to count calories. Out of curiosity, one day I decided to go back and count the calories from my meals (I keep lists of my previous days). I shocked to learn that I was eating around 1400 at the most on most of the days. Some days it would go up to 1600, but never more than that. I also got down to my smallest size ever (loose size 6, tight size 4, 128 pounds).

I GAINED all that back when I started doing the 1800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's partly why I am back up to 145 pounds and eating only 1300-1500 calories now with P90X starting 2 days ago...it worked before, it will work again!!!

I get really frustrated with avid P90X'ers who tell you that you have to eat every calorie the guide tells you to eat because of my previous experience. Every body is different!!! So follow Edorice's advice and find what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    P90X isn't a weight loss program, so the calories they recommend ARE super high. If you log on to the Beachbody website and fill out your info, it'll ask you if you are trying to lose or maintain and make a different suggestion than in the nutrition booklet. For example, I fell into the 2400 range according to the book, but when I told the website I wanted to lose, it told me something like 1900. Now, I haven't been following that, I've been eating closer to 1500, and I'm on day 50 and haven't lost any weight. So maybe I need to be eating more. That being said, I've definitely gotten a LOT stronger and more toned.

Good luck! Bring it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X isn't a weight loss program, so the calories they recommend ARE super high.

Good point there. If you go to the site, Beachbody has P90X classic listed as an extreme workout program. Other workout programs are listed for weight loss. However, you can customize P90X in order to find your sweet spot. You can do the lean version and you can do doubles. My loss has been slower than others that walk a mile a day @ 1,300 calories, but simple weight loss is not my focus.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    P90X isn't a weight loss program

But, it IS a fat loss program since the same principles for accelerated fat loss are used in this program as many others before it and after it. :flowerforyou:

And for many of us, after losing the fat and the muscle growth slows, weight loss happens.

And as Edorice just stated, you can customize the nutrition plan to go with your workouts just as in any other program to get to the point of "weight loss."

But still, after following their nutrition plan to the letter using the portion approach, I saw a ton of weight fall off me because the portions don't add up to the totals they say they do. :drinker:
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would certainly say I've lost fat! But no weight. :)
  • patito_ps
    patito_ps Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello all,

Im thinking of getting the p90x and start with the routine but...
    - As I an see, it is for getting fit and stronger.... Good... but.... does it help to lose weight aswel? Or would you recommend that I should continue doing running/cardio sessions by myself + the p90x routine?
    - Is it necessary to take the suplements? if so, which one is the essential? (I can not afford to buy them all)

Thanks for your help!!:flowerforyou:
  • momhome
    momhome Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am into my 4th week of P90X . I am beginner. I can not do the 4th week of exercises. I am barely making it through the first set of DVD's. My question is .. Is it better to keep doing the first set of DVD's until I can do most of it or do I try doing the 2nd set and not get a good workout.?
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi momhome ,
    It sure will help you lose weight. If you follow the fat shredder approach stated in the P90X plan results will follow. My wife and I have completed 4 rounds and it has changed everything :)
  • momhome
    momhome Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First what is the fat shredder approach? my second questions is since I started doing P90X i am gaining and not losing weight. I am watching what I eat (1200cal which is what myfitnesspal says to). I following the P90X classic mainly because I don't have a lot of weight to lose but I would love to lose inches. also I have tried the core synergistics, the plyometrics and the yoga X and I can hardly do any of the exercises. I am still doing women's pushups and can't do all the he is doing .
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week on Tuesday and I gained 5lbs. I'm hoping that its all muscle, but its still discouraging to see a gain instead of a loss. I've been able to keep up with most of the workouts, I still can't do a decent push-up though. Ab ripper is a killer on my back as I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back so I don't know if that will ever get any easier. But I guess my question is, did anyone else on the P90X program gain at first and then have a nice loss afterwards? In reading some of the other posts now I'm wondering if I've been eating enough calories.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am into my 4th week of P90X . I am beginner. I can not do the 4th week of exercises. I am barely making it through the first set of DVD's. My question is .. Is it better to keep doing the first set of DVD's until I can do most of it or do I try doing the 2nd set and not get a good workout.?

I am around day 70ish of my first round of P90x even though you can't keep up just do your best and keep pushing play ;). Sorry couldn't help myself.

In all seriousness just keep going with it and do the second set of DVDs over time as you get stronger you will be able to keep up and modfiy if you have to.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week on Tuesday and I gained 5lbs. I'm hoping that its all muscle, but its still discouraging to see a gain instead of a loss. I've been able to keep up with most of the workouts, I still can't do a decent push-up though. Ab ripper is a killer on my back as I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back so I don't know if that will ever get any easier. But I guess my question is, did anyone else on the P90X program gain at first and then have a nice loss afterwards? In reading some of the other posts now I'm wondering if I've been eating enough calories.

For back issues in AB Ripper just do the what you can that does not agrivate your back. I ran into some issues with a little bit of pain in some of the exercises in AB Ripper and just did what I could. As my core got stronger the exercises that were a little painful weren't painfull any more.