Kid Friendly Exercise?

Options
I'm looking for some kid-friendly exercise ideas. I have two little ones (2 and 5 years old), which can make it difficult to eke out time for exercising without them. Gym-going is out, since we can't afford a membership. I do have a bicycle and trailer, but the two of them together exceed the weight limit, and my 5 year old isn't quite ready to ride alone. Does anyone have some kid-friendly exercise ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You could get them standard toy hoops and yourself a bigger/weighted one, and you could hula hoop together :smile:
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hikes and outdoor adventures.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks

jumping rope

pushups

burpees

air squats

mountain climbers

planks

wall pushups

edit: bear crawls
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Get a stroller and give them a ride to a nearby park. Then keep up with them for a few hours.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Walking with my minion is one of my favorites. We walk to the park and play together (running around and climbing on a jungle gym, talk about exercise!) Body weight exercises are good for inside the house, and so is dancing. We LOVE to dance.

A couple of good sites for at home workouts:
    www.fitnessblender.com
    http://neilarey.com/workouts.html
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks

jumping rope

pushups

burpees

air squats

mountain climbers

planks

wall pushups

edit: bear crawls

this.

body weight stuff is great for kids.
    esp park workouts- they don't have to be "workouts" so much as fun parkour play time!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wait..are you actually looking for exercises for a 2 or 5 year old? Can I ask why?

Is there any community type sports you could get them involved with instead? Why not just let them run around and play?
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dance-put on some fun music and dance, jump rope...just let your imagination go, and the kids will look forward to "exercise with Mom" time....
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a Yoga video with my 3 year old twins. They LOVED it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Active video games - Wii fit, Just Dance, etc. Or just turn on some music and dance. I've never met a child that didn't like to dance.

Depending on whether the little one is too heavy for a backpack carrier, hiking might be an option.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wait..are you actually looking for exercises for a 2 or 5 year old? Can I ask why?

Is there any community type sports you could get them involved with instead? Why not just let them run around and play?

I believe she meant exercises they could do with her.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My kids do my dumbbell routine with me, but with two pound weights instead of the larger ones I use. We also do yoga together before bed and they can nail some of the poses better than I can. And my four year old LOVES to zumba with me - he begs to do it even when I'm not in the mood (we just get videos on youtube).
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller for the 2 year old and a razor scooter for the 5 year old. Then run.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I believe she meant exercises they could do with her.

You're right. I misread that.

OP, is there any way someone could watch them for 30-45 minutes so that you can get a workout in 2-3x a week? (Workout meaning anything whether a run, bodyweight exercises, etc.)

Could you go on daily walks with the two of them?
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 3 year old and 1 year old. If I am lifting dumbbells and don't want them underfoot, I simply section them off in there area with lots of activities where I can see them and they can see me should thy need something I get it for them between sets. If I am doing a DVD I try to do it early in the morning late at night or during their midday nap. You can carve out your 30-1hr and the 5yr and 2 yr old can entertain each other or watch t.v. Also running around in the backyard, both of my kids respond to 'on your mark, get set?, Go!' Sometimes I chase them around the house, I have a fitbit so every activity counts. Best DVD is leslie sansone walk at home, she also has videos on you tube. My kids will watch her long enough for me to walk at least a mile. They've been hearing her voice since they were 3 months each. Best of luck
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    given the state of most children today (many overweight, some obese, borderline diabetes and other preventable maladies) due to lack of exercise and poor diet, I commend you for wanting to instill active movement with your children. They can always just jump around (OK LET'S DO THE JUMPING-BEAN!!) (they don't have to do the exercises with military precision). Plus, you are all doing it together, as a family. Nice.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

No. Exercise for ME, that is kid-friendly, so I can either exercise WITH them, or with them around. I'm not looking for workouts FOR my preschoolers.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    No. Exercise for ME, that is kid-friendly, so I can either exercise WITH them, or with them around. I'm not looking for workouts FOR my preschoolers.

Why not? What's wrong a little boot camp for preschoolers? Gotta get those munchkins yoked!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A jogging stroller for the 2 year old and a razor scooter for the 5 year old. Then run.

Great idea! My 5 year old already has a razor scooter, and she's pretty amazing on it, so I'd be willing to bet she'd be able to keep up (or even lap mommy).
  • roxannemezzapesamulder
    roxannemezzapesamulder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A double jogging stroller would be ideal :) You can find them cheaper used on craigslist. They are great for jogging, but also for off-road walking where normal stroller wheels don't work.

I have 5 kids, ranging from age 9 to 2. My youngest 2 are 4 and 2. We go on long nature walks together with the youngest 2 in a double jogger.

Another option if you live on a street that allows them to play out front, (we live in a cul de sac). Let them play safely while you run or walk up and down the street where you can see them at all times and quickly get to them if needed.

If you have stairs you could run up and down them. Also exercise videos are good. Most kids think it is fun to try to workout along with you.