Exercising with a Disability

Options
Hi, guys - first post here! I am thinking that actually interacting with some people with the same goals and issues may provide enough inspiration for me to keep at this.

Anyway, I have a question - is anyone else out there trying to find exercises that fit into or around a disability?

I have Degenerative Disc Disease and two years ago had two broken discs already removed. I also have a disc in-between my shoulder blades that I believe to be going as well and it causes me a lot of heck! I was also hit by a car when I was 15 and have a 3 pound weight restriction on my left arm/elbow after my tendon was severed and my elbow broken. (They say to restore the motion in my arm they had to "tie" my tendon together, so I cannot put weight on it or it my snap again.)

Knowing all of this, most of what I have been doing is swimming and/or walking. It is about the only thing that I can do! But both of those exercises require me to be out of the house. (I live in a very small apartment in the country.) So if it is raining outside or if I cannot get to the pool or the lake, what are some ideas of exercises that I could do at home?

I don't work so I have lots of downtime at home and feel that I could fit an exercise routine into there if I knew more about what to do at home when I cannot take walks or swim.

Any ideas on what is not a super strenuous routine, taking into account my arm and my back pain?

Thanks so much! It is very frustrating trying to do this all while hurting on top of it!

-Liz

Replies

• bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walking in place (or even a little dancing,) while not terribly exciting, is at least a way to get it in. Also, can you ride a bike? If so, you might stalk your local craigslist for an exercise bike to keep at home for rainy days. Or stalk the sales - there are some that aren't too space intensive (though I know I couldn't fit one in my tiny apartment, unless I wanted to hang my husband out the window :)

I myself have to work around a 50 lb weight restriction - which doesn't seem like much until you realize it rules out a lot of bodyweight exercises, my preferred method :-/

There are also some videos that you could do at home, and just skip or modify the parts you have difficulty or restrictions on. There's even a few on netflix/hulu.
  • Ourstoryourplanet
    Ourstoryourplanet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions!

I have thought of those videos and things on youtube and whatnot, but I always feel silly doing it. Strange considering I am at home - who is going to really notice other than myself?

Ironically I can justify dancing around with my headphones in while I do dishes, ect. Lol. Maybe that is actually good for me - who knew?

I like the idea of looking for an exercise bike. I don't know where I would put it either (hubby would love hanging out the window, lol!) but it would be a great thing to have. Summer is coming and yard sales are everywhere - perhaps I will take a little adventure this summer and see if I can find one.

Again, thank you! :)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have a rebounder (mini-trampoline) and I believe that this could be really good with a disability. You can usually buy a stabilization bar to go with it so you can hold on. Light walking would probably be good and maybe try some yoga but if you do make sure the teacher knows about your restrictions and can help you know what you should and should not do. If you go to physical therapy the therapist could likely give you some good ideas. Good luck!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My mom has the same problem, plus many lung/heart issues and she walks on the treadmill for as long as she can handle. Usually only 5 minutes at a shot, but it's better than nothing.
  • absinthexiii
    absinthexiii Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone videos!!!!

I have never consistnaly worked out in my entire life, and I have been doing this EVERY day for over a month now. I too have a disability that causes pain (nerve and the like) in the legs/back and this DOESN'T hurt me. It's also VERY motivating. I was able to do it through the very first time which gives you confidence (and I am heavy. I started out at 300+). With MFP food/work out tracking (just staying under the numbers) and her vids, I've lost 33lbs and TONS of inches!

They are a "walking" based program. Each level is a mile. Which starts at 1, and goes up to 5. Although walking, it is more like a cardio aerobics. They keep a constant (with come up, plateau, and come down) pace, while doing mild upper body. The first mile vid and it's moves are easy, then they gradually become more "difficult" and I say difficult not because it's hard to do, but more because it's longer, and a few more things added in. First video is only 20mins, 2mile is 33, 4 mile is 50, 5 mile is 1hr.

You actually DO work up a sweat, and it seriously burns those cals! It also doesn't require you to get up and down on the floor, and with a disability, plus being heavy, is very difficult. I'm still on the second mile even! I go to the next level when I feel the current one is not pushing me enough. All things they do can be either done, not done, or modified (like if they ask you to keep your feet and you can't raise your leg as high as them, don't worry, it's the movement in general that does it, and it gradually becomes higher etc).

I do this sometimes in a 6' x 3' rectangle (I have anxiety issues of people "watching" me, so if my kids or husband are home, instead of utilizing my living room, I do it at the foot of my bed between it and my tv 3' away) so you don't need tons of space, the time doing it seems to fly by, it doesn't feel tidious, and can easily be done at home, or anywhere else you may be, and is a GREAT bang for you buck. Short time frame, good work out/burn.

If you are interested, message me and I might be able to help you out :)
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I have never consistnaly worked out in my entire life, and I have been doing this EVERY day for over a month now. I too have a disability that causes pain (nerve and the like) in the legs/back and this DOESN'T hurt me. It's also VERY motivating. I was able to do it through the very first time which gives you confidence (and I am heavy. I started out at 300+). With MFP food/work out tracking (just staying under the numbers) and her vids, I've lost 33lbs and TONS of inches!

They are a "walking" based program. Each level is a mile. Which starts at 1, and goes up to 5. Although walking, it is more like a cardio aerobics. They keep a constant (with come up, plateau, and come down) pace, while doing mild upper body. The first mile vid and it's moves are easy, then they gradually become more "difficult" and I say difficult not because it's hard to do, but more because it's longer, and a few more things added in. First video is only 20mins, 2mile is 33, 4 mile is 50, 5 mile is 1hr.

You actually DO work up a sweat, and it seriously burns those cals! It also doesn't require you to get up and down on the floor, and with a disability, plus being heavy, is very difficult. I'm still on the second mile even! I go to the next level when I feel the current one is not pushing me enough. All things they do can be either done, not done, or modified (like if they ask you to keep your feet and you can't raise your leg as high as them, don't worry, it's the movement in general that does it, and it gradually becomes higher etc).

I do this sometimes in a 6' x 3' rectangle (I have anxiety issues of people "watching" me, so if my kids or husband are home, instead of utilizing my living room, I do it at the foot of my bed between it and my tv 3' away) so you don't need tons of space, the time doing it seems to fly by, it doesn't feel tidious, and can easily be done at home, or anywhere else you may be, and is a GREAT bang for you buck. Short time frame, good work out/burn.

I was coming to post this! I found them on YouTube as "walkathome". It's walking with a twist - but it is just mainly walking, so you don't need any special equipment. It's also a lot more fun than just walking on the spot.
  • absinthexiii
    Options

I was coming to post this! I found them on YouTube as "walkathome". It's walking with a twist - but it is just mainly walking, so you don't need any special equipment. It's also a lot more fun than just walking on the spot.

Deff! And it is MOST CERTAINLY a work out! you DO sweat! it's like walking WHILE doing cardio. It's been effective for me thus far! It is a lot more fun, and doesn't seem long and boring. And also easy to do if you have any physical limitations :)
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    anything as long as your moving.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

[/quote

OP-I'm Sue...been doing LS workouts on and off for 11 years; very seriously since Sep 2012. I have cerebral palsy and LS is one of a very few workouts I can do. Message me if you want some support!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Daisyrn
    Daisyrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are unable to use weights there are always the resistance bands. My husband has had several back surgeries and during his physical therapy they used these. You can use them anywhere that you can sit or stand. Good Luck :)
  • absinthexiii
    Options
    If you feel like you are unable to use weights there are always the resistance bands. My husband has had several back surgeries and during his physical therapy they used these. You can use them anywhere that you can sit or stand. Good Luck :)

The second level of those LS videos I was talking about above, starts using resistance bands. I agree, they are very good! You can set it to what YOU need. Just a little bit of push for you that you can gradually increase at your own speed, without the pain of lifting weights. I can't lift either, and I am loving the bands :)