More Protein, Less Carbs...Will you Open Your diary?

Options
Hi. Ive been lifting the last two months and I know i need to increase my protein and lower my carbs to aid in increasing lean muscle mass. I just can't seem to eat enough protein. If you eat a high protein, low carb diet would you let me have a look at your diary?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. Ive been lifting the last two months and I know i need to increase my protein and lower my carbs to aid in increasing lean muscle mass. I just can't seem to eat enough protein. If you eat a high protein, low carb diet would you let me have a look at your diary?

Thanks in advance!
    My diary is open and I generally get over 200 protein a day. But more importantly who told you that low carb would help with lean muscle gains? That really isn't true. To gain muscle a few things must exist. First you must be in a caloric surplus. You need to eat more in a day then you burn. 2nd you need to have adequate protein. How much protein are you trying to get. Usually 0.6-0.8 grams per lb is sufficient. Finally you much achieve progressive tension overload. That's a fancy way of saying lift heavier over time. Carbs fuel workouts and allow that final condition to be met easier! When I go into a muscle building phase it's not uncommon for me to get in over 400 carbs a day.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I primarily run, go figure, but I still get in around 170g a day. Diary is open.
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, I am not trying to go low carb....I am trying to balance out my macros. I am getting too many calories from carbs instead of protein. 1 g protein per lb is my goal. I will have a look through your diaries for tips. I am trying to lose fat, gain muscle. But in all my reading, I keep seeing that you cannot put on muscle while eating in a deficit like you mentioned Vismal.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    1 gram per lb of body wieght is more protein then you need for muscle building. Also, yes, if you are in a deficit I wouldn't even worry about muscle gains. They will be minimal at most. Focus on losing fat until your body fat is where you want it then shift your goals to muscle building.