Fat people are discriminated against..

Options
ScottH_200
ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
I'm convinced this is so. I've lost 75 lbs in the past 6 mos with another 60 lbs to goal.

I have noticed a marked difference in the way my peers relate to me now and even how other people I don't know relate to me.

It's sad, but unfortunately true.

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Also, grass is green, sky is blue.

Haters will hate. Don't let them discriminate.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Vague post is vague.
  • TinaRose07
    TinaRose07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree! when I was 100 lbs thinner I was treated significantly differently than I am now. I am somehow less approachable than I was and it's very irritating and frustrating. Congrats on the loss!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    meh, fit people get discriminated against, too. Rise above, do you and be happy for that fact.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's as though people think fatness is contagious XD
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just more confident and they react differently.:drinker:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    ive noticed people treating me differently, but honestly, i think its because i am more confident, smile more, am more engaged/engaging, not necessarily because ive lost a ****load of weight.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    OR it has more to do with the fact that you were miserable and fat.

At least, that's how it was with me. People thought I was an awful person because I was always in an awful mood. People actually talk to me now that I'm more approachable.

But what would I know?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    everybody is discriminated against for one stupid reason or another. You could chose to be bitter, stoop to their level, use it as fuel, or pretend they are speaking in Vulcan and you don't understand.

The point is.
    Realize you are better than that, and move on.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    ive noticed people treating me differently, but honestly, i think its because i am more confident, smile more, am more engaged/engaging, not necessarily because ive lost a ****load of weight.

This is probably it, actually. My self-esteem and confidence nose-dived with the weight gain. Thinking that people think I'm disgusting really makes me introverted. It's probably my issue not theirs.
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    Porkins here checking in, im not fat im husky and I still managed to fly an x-wing to help defeat the galatic empire
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter who you are, what shape, size, height, color skin, eye freakin color...people are just like that...

tumblr_mqu8ssjlgM1qcu3vno1_500.gif
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think those responding that perhaps my attitude and confidence level has changed are probably onto something.

By the way, I didn't post this thread to whine... ;-)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced this is so. I've lost 75 lbs in the past 6 mos with another 60 lbs to goal.

I have noticed a marked difference in the way my peers relate to me now and even how other people I don't know relate to me.

It's sad, but unfortunately true.
    DO you act exactly the same?

ETA: i see you answered...maybe you do attract people more with confidence and feeling better about yourself.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's as though people think fatness is contagious XD

Exactly!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I think its two fold however. Some people do treat fat people differently. But I think many over weight people act differently. I know I did. I didn't want to be seen, so I walked with my head down, didn't interact with people I didn't know, didn't make eye contact, didn't smile. Now I have more confidence, I'm proud, I'm happy and I'm more approachable due to that.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    society is highly fat phobic you are correct OP
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    captain-obvious.jpg
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    in other breaking news...

man_on_moon-01.jpg
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    People have the ability to have haters on either side (fat shaming and fit shaming). Also, it seems like a person's confidence level can dictate how others act towards them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!