Fat people are discriminated against..

Options

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Then again, I remember getting a queasy feeling in my stomach every time I saw Twiggy in a photo or on television.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's all down to confidence. I remember when I was younger, I was sitting in a college class, waiting for everyone else. It was just me and another (overweight) student. Another student walks in, I said "hi" and smiled and he responded with, "Ugh, I'm surrounded by fat people. Sorry, girl, but you are." Or I'd walk through the supermarket, acting just like everyone else, focused on my shopping, and someone would follow me around oinking and saying, "Soooooey, here pig!" Or when my husband and I were walking home from a pub, guy drives by and yells to my husband that he shouldn't take me home because I'm fat. That type of thing happened all. the. time. It had nothing to do with my confidence, it was purely because the people who did those things were a**holes.

Funnily enough, nothing like that happens to me now.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant, I was sorely tempted to write a book titled "Fat people don't get pregnant" and each chapter was going to be me talking about a different thing that fat people apparently don't do (judging by the lack of suitable attire/facilities for larger people). As a fat pregnant woman, I couldn't find maternity clothes, so I had to buy bigger clothes. It took forever to find nursing bras (and the ones I found the first time around didn't actually fit, but they were better than nothing. Never did find nursing shirts though.

I am still morbidly obese, but I'm a heck of a lot closer to just obese than I was September 30th of last year, when I began changing my life. I have some time to go before I get things where I want them to be, but I look forward to, one day, being able to do the things I have not been able to do because of my size. (Amusement park rides this October, here I come.)

Awesome job in your progress.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think those responding that perhaps my attitude and confidence level has changed are probably onto something.

By the way, I didn't post this thread to whine... ;-)
    I don't think you're whining. I think your happily stating the truth about your experience. Good for you for the weightloss! And yeah maybe it is that your confidence is better. But I actually worked as a server at a restaurant when I was younger, and there was one particular couple who would come in (and stated) That they didn't want the fat cook cooking their meals "He was a slob"
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My weight gain and loss of 80 lbs +/- over the years never affected me in anyway with friends and co-workers. I have to admit I got luckier when I was heavier, what’s up with that? lol
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The worst places I've seen when it comes to this are sporting goods stores. They must be convinced that it's the money in big people's wallets that makes them big because their salespeople seem to hide from any chance to get any of it.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I've found that when you're overweight+, you are practically invisible. You don't matter. Very disheartening! Luckily, there is something we can do about it - diet.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think you're right. I also think, for me personally, I used my fat as a barrier between myself and the world. A friend pointed out recently that I'm more approachable now, nicer and less sharp.

I've also found that many important people in my personal and professional life treat me exactly the same as I lose weight- which says a lot about what kind of people they are :)
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's all down to confidence. I remember when I was younger, I was sitting in a college class, waiting for everyone else. It was just me and another (overweight) student. Another student walks in, I said "hi" and smiled and he responded with, "Ugh, I'm surrounded by fat people. Sorry, girl, but you are." Or I'd walk through the supermarket, acting just like everyone else, focused on my shopping, and someone would follow me around oinking and saying, "Soooooey, here pig!" Or when my husband and I were walking home from a pub, guy drives by and yells to my husband that he shouldn't take me home because I'm fat. That type of thing happened all. the. time. It had nothing to do with my confidence, it was purely because the people who did those things were a**holes.

Funnily enough, nothing like that happens to me now.
    Right on! ...And good for you!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I once told my psychiatrist that I thought people were talking about me being fat behind my back and that everytime I heard them laugh and whisper was about me.

He said: Don't think that your life is more important than theirs and that the world revolves around you. If people laugh and whisper is their business, don't make it about you.

Harsh but true, what do I care? Are they signing my paychecks? No, so I shouldn't bother. Am I doing my best to lose it? Yes, so it's on me.

You will be miserable fat or thin if you choose to want to keep feeling miserable.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. my friends and I used to joke about there being a "skinny B club." ...turns out there is one. they're everywhere, just waiting to talk bad about someone for the way they look or live their life. I usually have to change the subject, because it's just too awkward to listen to. :s
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    One thing I notice about really overweight people.................they tend not to converse very much on their own. Lack of self esteem may be the reason for this. Increase self esteem and for some reason people sense it and gravitate towards it.
    As Bry stated, fit people get discriminated and gossiped about all the time. I over hear it at the gym all the time. Rise above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I get made fun of more for trying to be healthy
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think alot of that "hate" is unconscious. Plus when you are larger, self esteem can suffer which impacts how people treat you. If you think your worthless, you will be treated that way.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Then again, I remember getting a queasy feeling in my stomach every time I saw Twiggy in a photo or on television.

I'll admit to not reading every word of every post so I might have miseed something, but how does saying that a very skinny person makes you physically ill balance the inequity towards fat people?
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    People are definitely responding differently to me lately. I do think part of it could be that I'm more confident in myself though.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    People used to not be as kind to me when i was fat. Some people would stare at me or make fun of me.

People also like to stare at me and my daughter who is biracial and try to figure it out.

People also like to stare at me and my husband who is 15 years older and try to figure it out. We're both white. When he, my daughter and I are out people stare a lot. Some people make comments.

My point is that everyone has stereotypes or discrinimations of one kind of another. fat is definitely one of them. I didn't notice it when I was fat though - not usually. It wasn't until people started going out of their way to help me or talk to me when I was a normal weight that I remembered nobody did it when I was fat.

And like another poster said - I also get made fun of for being healthy
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    society is highly fat phobic you are correct OP

This...

And society is highly fit phobic as well.

It seems that my abs are now "manly" or "gross" or whatever now.

I think the problem is just that people want to think of themselves as better than others, and that often times means that they have to find something about other people that they don't like so they can have the illusion of being better...which they are not, but that's how they think.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do think society is very fat phobic and there are a**holes out there. There are also a**holes who are fat and obnoxious. Nothing in modern society when it deals with individuals can be defined in simplistic terms. We do love to classify and judge people...hmmm come to think about it all of society is pretty much filled with a**holes myself included. Feels like I'm channeling Denis Leary
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to this...

If "you" are different than "me"... "I" will treat you differently

where
    "you" can be size related, height related, color related, age related, mental capacity related, gender related, etc etc etc

people pick on other people to make themselves feel better.
    good people don't do that
    people who are confident in themselves don't do that
    people who are secure in their own identity or "comfy in their own skin" don't do that

If you are experiencing discrimination, it is horrible... but it's almost even more tragic for the idiot who is doing the discriminating.. because they are too weak in themselves to be any better than they are.

No matter your size, shape, sexual preference, color, etc... Stand tall in who you are.

and pity the fool who tries to bring you down
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!