TMI!!! Ladies Only

Options

Replies

• MandyH1991
    MandyH1991 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What on earth is with the ''is this new to you?'' comments?! I'm sure cravings during our periods are not new to most of us. But cravings while on a weight loss journey may be... duh!

This. Haha, I am still confused.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Self control
  • MandyH1991
    Options
    I was in because TMI, but now I'm disappointed. I treat it like any other day, but I have to say since I started eating my ice cream for breakfast instead of after dinner, I don't have those cravings anymore.

Sorry! >_<
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I just ... I mean ... ladies ... seriously .... The science and math of weight loss don't change because you're on your weight loss journey... I feel like it should be pretty simple to think to yourself, "when I want something (which is just a mild form of craving) high calorie when I'm not menstruating, I either find a way to fit it in my my calories and macros, or I don't have it .... so if I want something high calorie while I am menstruating, I should find a way to fit it in my calories and macros, or I shouldn't have it." ... or there's the secret third option, "I'll go over my calories and macros today, because life is not perfect and weight loss is not linear, and I will do my best to make up for that fluctuation later in the month.."

And I mean, if you're so new that you don't know exactly how weight loss and MFP work, then gosh, I am sorry for being curt.. but I do believe women deal with weight struggles during their cycle long before they sign up here.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The way I handle every craving the rest of the days of the month.. I eat the food and move on? If I go over calories I exercise a little more and bam done.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What on earth is with the ''is this new to you?'' comments?! I'm sure cravings during our periods are not new to most of us. But cravings while on a weight loss journey may be... duh!

This. Haha, I am still confused.

For all that MFP is a "supportive community," people's real favorite activity here is telling you a) what you've done wrong, and/or b) that they had the same issue, and handled it WAY better than you ever could.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    supposed to be a Ladies Only post! Go away men!

You sure told them!!
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Girls, how do you handle your time of the month cravings??

have a little to satisfy the urge and then distract myself with a walk or run...
    :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    Options
    I allow myself to eat 200 extra calories per day to start with.. so I just end up with a lower deficit for those 3-5 days. I think that's a pretty fair trade off and it helps a ton.

It's also the only week when I buy a pint of Dannon Oikos Greek Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. The entire pint is 600 calories so if I completely lost control I could only do so much damage there. I also just bought Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Powder... that should help too :)

And that vanilla frozen yogurt is surprisingly good!!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just ... I mean ... ladies ... seriously .... The science and math of weight loss don't change because you're on your weight loss journey... I feel like it should be pretty simple to think to yourself, "when I want something (which is just a mild form of craving) high calorie when I'm not menstruating, I either find a way to fit it in my my calories and macros, or I don't have it .... so if I want something high calorie while I am menstruating, I should find a way to fit it in my calories and macros, or I shouldn't have it." ... or there's the secret third option, "I'll go over my calories and macros today, because life is not perfect and weight loss is not linear, and I will do my best to make up for that fluctuation later in the month.."

And I mean, if you're so new that you don't know exactly how weight loss and MFP work, then gosh, I am sorry for being curt.. but I do believe women deal with weight struggles during their cycle long before they sign up here.

So why do the forums even exist, then? By your logic, surely EVERYONE, men and women, could just ''follow the science and math of weight loss'' and figure things out for themselves? Nobody should need tips or encouragement, or heck, a little empathy from anybody. It's math after all!
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

So why do the forums even exist, then? By your logic, surely EVERYONE, men and women, could just ''follow the science and math of weight loss'' and figure things out for themselves? Nobody should need tips or encouragement, or heck, a little empathy from anybody. It's math after all!

The forums exist to argue and get butthurt, of course.
  • MandyH1991
    Options

That's probably true. However, deciding to change myself for the better & lose some weight is very new to me. I never cared much before. I'm sure if no one needed advice to lose weight, they wouldn't look for sites like this. I literally signed up not even a week ago. I didn't ask for help for no reason. Thanks for the input though.
  • danasings
    Options
    OP, many of us have been on MFP for a long time, and now our periods have synced up. So we're all starting shark week and are raging b*tches in the forums. Sorry you've been caught in the crimson tide of snark this afternoon. Best wishes on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • MandyH1991
    Options
    OP, many of us have been on MFP for a long time, and now our periods have synced up. So we're all starting shark week and are raging b*tches in the forums. Sorry you've been caught in the crimson tide of snark this afternoon. Best wishes on your journey. :flowerforyou:

I didn't want to say it. ^ Haha.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

QFT! :bigsmile:
  • LilyBentley2013
    LilyBentley2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Before I was active in trying to lose weight I would sometimes eat the thing I wanted, but my periods were very short so if I could make it a day or two it would be fine.

Now, I take the active pill of my birth control every day. Every 3 months or so I'll have some spotting and cravings but I'll usually just ignore them. It's hard because I want caffeine and salt so bad!
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to not have them at all, but now that I've begun to have them, I typically eat a very small portion of whatever I'm craving. It's usually cheese or potatoes.

I figure that if I try to resist it, I'll only end up binging on it, so I may as well have a little.
  • munkysmama
    munkysmama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I allow myself enough to curb the craving without going overboard.

Along the lines of "TMI," ever since I got Mirena, Aunt Flow no longer comes to visit. I still get the pre symptoms, but they are significantly reduced.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You're 22.

Is this something new to you?

You appear to have a penis. Be grateful it doesn't bleed and bye.

For the women who are surprised that this could be new, is it new to you that menstrual cycles and symptoms do change over time?