Should I start with 5 or 8 lb weights?

Options
I am in the market to buy some hand weights, but all of the weights that are online are expensive. I want to get either 5 or 8-pound weights. I'm wondering if I should start with 5 pounds or go right into 8 pounds. I was wondering should I start off with a 5 pound set and then work my way up? Also, I was looking at resistance bands. Are they any good? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    go to walmart... hold a 5 lb and an 8 lb....decide which is better...purchase.
  • pshankinson
    Options
    If you haven't been using weights I would start low and work your way up, also you can't tell how they feel after you have done several reps with them. A 5lb weight can feel like 20 once you have done several reps. with it.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For the price, you're better off overall buying adjustable weights so you have the freedom to add or remove weight plates. I'm no longer surprised when I need a 20-30lb dumbbell for something, so it's nice to have that option. Ones that can be adjusted with loose plates are incredibly useful. (my fiancé keeps absconding with my weight plates to hold down woodworking projects he's trying to glue, though...)
  • pshankinson
    Options
    good job on the 6 lb loss!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Also, I was looking at resistance bands. Are they any good?

Oh yes, I forgot. I have a set of Bodylastics. They are fantastically useful for a lot of things. For a one-time cost to you for something so useful long term, you can't go wrong. I can't recommend them enough.
  • sdeloris37
    sdeloris37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. I lost 6 lbs from not drinking soda. I wanted to try my hand at lifting since I heard a person can lose body fat quicker.