2»

Replies

• AndyMcMahan
    AndyMcMahan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Without all the noise and complication, yes :)

Hadfield takes the C25K programme and makes it unreadable and complicated
  • gregallen549
    Options
    Actually, I graduated from the C25K program yesterday morning. BTW, I'm a 51M who could barely run 30 seconds only two months ago. Yesterday, I ran 3miles in under 30 minutes. Personally, I would do it again. I think it's a great program. My suggestions (worth what you pay for them) are this. 1. Let NOTHING stop you from doing your run. If it's raining, put on a raincoat. This has to be your priority. 2. Follow the plan EXACTLY. The rest days are not there by accident. Your body needs time to adjust to the new strains and stresses. 3. If you want to run faster, save it for the last run of the week, so your body has time to heal over the weekend. 4. Don't compare yourself to other runners. Simply strive to improve yourself from week to week. Good luck on your journey!!
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Actually, I graduated from the C25K program yesterday morning. BTW, I'm a 51M who could barely run 30 seconds only two months ago. Yesterday, I ran 3miles in under 30 minutes. Personally, I would do it again. I think it's a great program. My suggestions (worth what you pay for them) are this. 1. Let NOTHING stop you from doing your run. If it's raining, put on a raincoat. This has to be your priority. 2. Follow the plan EXACTLY. The rest days are not there by accident. Your body needs time to adjust to the new strains and stresses. 3. If you want to run faster, save it for the last run of the week, so your body has time to heal over the weekend. 4. Don't compare yourself to other runners. Simply strive to improve yourself from week to week. Good luck on your journey!!
    Congratulations on graduating! I agree that it is a great program and that following it exactly (ie rest days) is important. I got to week 7 following the program and couldn't believe my progress. After that I just started running without the program, and can now run 5k in just over 30 minutes! Stick with it even when it seems impossible and you'll see results. Good Luck!
  • melissawgreen
    Options
    Hi! How can I access that forum?

Thank you!
  • BioDen
    BioDen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K programme on Saturday and am sooooo pleased !!! I am a 52 year old overweight female and when I started the C25K struggled to jog for a minute at a time ! I am amazed I made it to the end ! One thing, don't expect the scales to show much weight loss as you are building up muscle. What you will see is clothes getting looser and you will soooo much fitter. I huffed and puffed walking up the stairs before I did this and now I'm pretty much jogging up the stairs. I agree with previous posts that you need to take it slowly as this way you should be able to stick it out and avoid injury. I have got a little faster but am only building the speed up very very gradually now that I have finished the programme. Good luck, once you have completed the first couple of weeks you will find it addictive :).
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started it and loved it. But be warned it will stop your weight loss for a bit because you will be building muscle. Don't let this discourage you. Your weight loss will slow down for a while - BUT your clothes will suddenly fit better. I strongly suggest you take measurements prior to starting so you don't get discouraged when you start and see no weight loss. On august 9th I am doing Renegade Playground which will be my first 5k with obstacles. I figure after that a normal 5k will be no problem.

Another thing to consider is road or treadmill. Road is harder than treadmill. I started with the road, the only time I've run on a treadmill was when they were looking at my stride to suggest the proper footwear.

Next challenge will be 5k on the beach - maybe next summer...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    But be warned it will stop your weight loss for a bit because you will be building muscle.

Nope, but there will be some water weight gain.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'm in week 3 and at 48 years old, never thought I could run for 3 minutes.
  • wanarun
    wanarun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just started it's, fun, challenging and after you complete a day you will feel like I DID IT!!! Good luck. I use the Zenlabs C25K app.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    My friend and I started it this morning. Week one, day one complete and feeling very accomplished because WE DID IT!!!!
    Can't wait to run in our first 5K.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    But be warned it will stop your weight loss for a bit because you will be building muscle.

Nope, but there will be some water weight gain.

Sorry - my mistake I have not gained any muscle, just holding water - thanks for clarifying.

Anyway OP - in my example I stopped losing weight when I started running, but my clothes began to fit looser. Three cheers for holding water I guess...
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Anyway OP - in my example I stopped losing weight when I started running, but my clothes began to fit looser. Three cheers for holding water I guess...

The plateau shouldn't last long, and as you say you'll see body shape changes fairly quickly as you shed fat. It's worth doing at least bodyweight training alongside the running as well.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I graduated from the program about a week ago and I am 49! Now I am on the 10k program, regularly running 8k without a problem! Love it!!!
    Stef.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My first foray into getting back into shape was with couch to 5K and I found everyone involved very supportive. I worded up to 2.5 minutes of jogging and 2.5 minutes of walking then completed my first 5K. A coach stayed by my side the whole 'race' to offer support which was very kind of her since I know she could have gone much faster . . .

I live in a northern climate and unable to continue running in cold weather due to my wimpy lungs, but the program is awesome!
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am a non runner and started this program. I did weeks 1 and 2 no problem at all, then i started week 3 and started t get really bad shin splints. Took a month off, in that month i biked like crazy and did strength building exercises and stretches for my shins. The pain went away completely and I went this week and after 2 days of week 3 my shins are hurting so bad i can hardly walk. its very frustrating bec physically I feel like I can do the program but its just my shins! I signed up for a 5K about a month and a half ago thinking I would be able to run it in the beginning of June....now I am not so sure =/ anyone else experience issues with shin splints? If so how did you get past it??!!

I had this problem too. The key is good form. Take take a took at Chi Running, Pose Running, Barefoot Running, or Natural Running. I found that my shin splints were directly tied to over-striding with a pronounced heel strike. Form is the one thing C25k doesn't bother to teach. I don't get shin splints at all any more unless I get sloppy. And when I do I can correct it and they go away before they're a problem. Read up and take it slow. You can do this. :)