weightlifting while pregnant?

Options
Background:
I started weight lifting in 2011... did great for 3 months and then kinda got lazy and didnt do it consistantly. then i got pregnant and my dr scared me into stopping completely. "baby" is one now so i figured id get back into the program i was doing..only to find out im pregnant again (wtf causes that anyway?! >.>)
so, this is the program i do: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training
is it safe to do while pregnant? would anything need to be modified or skipped completely? im only ~6 weeks right now, and have an appointment june 4th with a new dr. i will definitely talk to her a bout it too, but would like to be able to go in - possibly armed with info so that i dont get bullied again lol
im also not lifting much weight right now, i started over completely so im using fairly light stuff (10-40 lbs depending on exercise...)
should i not add weight at all? or just not as quickly?

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Really only the Dr. can answer when I was pregnant (healthy and a healthy weight) with my second the Dr. told me after some many months I couldn't even pick up and carry my oldest that was 2. Working out is great in pregnancy but progressive lifting may not be safe. If it is really important to you, you may not see many gains on the bar but the Dr. May be able to help customize a plan to keep your lean body mass and keep up some strength. Like I said though only the OB can help (regular doc will error on the side of caution, OB is the best to ask).

Congrats on the baby :flowerforyou:

Also stop drinking the water if you didn't want to get pregnant, that's what causes it, right? :tongue:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Background:
    I started weight lifting in 2011... did great for 3 months and then kinda got lazy and didnt do it consistantly. then i got pregnant and my dr scared me into stopping completely. "baby" is one now so i figured id get back into the program i was doing..only to find out im pregnant again (wtf causes that anyway?! >.>)
    so, this is the program i do: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training
    is it safe to do while pregnant? would anything need to be modified or skipped completely? im only ~6 weeks right now, and have an appointment june 4th with a new dr. i will definitely talk to her a bout it too, but would like to be able to go in - possibly armed with info so that i dont get bullied again lol
    im also not lifting much weight right now, i started over completely so im using fairly light stuff (10-40 lbs depending on exercise...)
    should i not add weight at all? or just not as quickly?

I lifted all throughout my first pregnancy, there's nothing to contraindicate lifting during pregnancy unless you have a medical concern.

Looking at the program, the only things I see that you would need to modify during the pregnancy (but your first instinct should be to go with your gut and modify as early as you like):

Push-ups - You do not want to risk failing and falling on your belly. I personally kept doing standard push-ups until I was starting to show, then modified to knees, and even further you can modify to walls. If you feel better just going to knees or walls now, go for it. It'll still work your chest.

Dumbbell Bench Press - Around 16-20 weeks they recommend not doing exercises on your back, having to do with the uterus pressing on the aorta if I remember correctly. Incline the bench, problem solved.

Hyperextensions/Back extensions - Obviously that's going to be pretty tough with a belly, plus I think it's again 16-20 weeks where they recommend avoiding exercises with inversions. You could use the machine for this one in which you are seated and lean back, taking care not to lean too far forward during the motion. Or you can say the hell with it, my back is getting enough of a workout hauling the fetus around.

Air bike - Again, 16-20 weeks is the cutoff (I think) for abdominal exercises (and you would be on your back, another thing to avoid). If you do not have diastasis recti (separating of ab muscles), you can still safely do some ab exercises. You can google ab exercises to do during pregnancy that can explain them a lot more clearly than I can at the moment.

That's just what I see. I did progress with weights during pregnancy, but I did not make huge increases. As you've just gotten back into it, I don't think you have much to worry about with the amounts you are lifting. You can always use machines as well if you start to feel like your form is being compromised or that you just aren't comfortable using free weights.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    thank you so much kgeyser! those were the exercises i was kind of iffy about so you explained it all perfectly :)
    i dont have the option of using machines, since i lift in my garage, but ill definitely listen to my body and not push too hard. im hoping my new dr doesnt give me too hard of a time about it.

kpost323 - it must be the water! ill have to cut back lmao
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think the current medical consensus is that, if you were doing it before you got pregnant, then you can continue as long as you listen to your body. You've already gotten great advice about modifications. Also, congratulations. :) If you could send the water over here, I'd appreciate it. :laugh:
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The Strong a Curves book has a section on lifting during pregnancy that looks like it's very good, and can be done at home. Just happened to read that this morning for some reason (I'm long past the age for having babies).

Congratulations on the new baby!