"Fitbit calorie adjustment"

Options
So I just connected my Fitbit tracker to my account. Not really sure how to use it...on the days I work out, since so many of my steps are from the workout, I should just count EITHER exercise or Fitbit, right? On days like today when I work (12 hour shifts), I had over 14,000 steps but none was aerobic exercise. Fitbit says I burned over 800 calories. I HIGHLY doubt that but then my net for the day will be super low. Not sure about this....

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If your fitbit is linked to your MFP account, here's what happens when you log exercise.

If you log on Fitbit: Fitbit asks you exactly what time you began the logged exercise. This way it can know what period of fitbit observation to REPLACE with the logged record. Double-counting is avoided.

If you log on MFP: MFP will ask you what time you began the logged exercise. (It only does this if your account is linked to Fitbit!). Same as above.

Choosing to log or not to log is a personal preference. I log (via MFP) purely because I like it to post to my newsfeed. But it's not double-counted.

As to not being sure if your fitbit is accurate: 14,000 step days are pretty darned active. I do a "dedicated" 1 hour walk everyday that Fitbit tracks as about 8000 steps and gives me credit for roughly 500 calories for. I walk slow, but I'm pretty big. So 800 calories from a 14000 step day for you doesn't sound wrong unless you're pretty tiny.

BEWARE if you are in the habit of logging your exercise as "1 calorie" or similar: your Fitbit record will be overwritten and your calories UNDERCOUNTED.
  • HopsGG
    HopsGG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too. I routinely hit 16-19k steps a day and It gives me an adjustment. I never wear my FB during my workouts because I prefer to use my heart rate monitor. Some times it gives me up to 1000 cals. I hardly every use them, but I always wonder how much I should actually trust those numbers.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation! I was wondering why the time that I started exercising was on there. Good to know!
  • tsisti88
    tsisti88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit flex about a month ago and I like the incentive to be active but I don't like how many calories it credits me for the steps. I have read all the discussions about whether or not the fitbit adjustments are accurate, but I can tell you this: since I connected the fitbit with MFP, I have actually GAINED weight, even when MFP says I have more calories available to eat! What I really want is the option to choose a one-direction sync to fitbit. In other words, if I enter a workout in MFP, I like that fitbit credits me with "very active minutes" and such. HOWEVER, I think the fitbit calorie adjustments are just messin' me up! Please, MFP, give us a one-way sync option!!!

By the way, I still recommend MFP to my friends because it really is a wonderful tool and I am thankful that it's free.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    So I just connected my Fitbit tracker to my account. Not really sure how to use it...on the days I work out, since so many of my steps are from the workout, I should just count EITHER exercise or Fitbit, right? On days like today when I work (12 hour shifts), I had over 14,000 steps but none was aerobic exercise. Fitbit says I burned over 800 calories. I HIGHLY doubt that but then my net for the day will be super low. Not sure about this....

What is your activity setting for MFP. Sedentary, light activity, active, or very active

When I have my setting at active 12-13k gives me just a little adjustment. But for instance I'm set at light activity right now since I'm off work for the summer and have just over 12k tonight and get 341 extra calories

Edit. for me Fitbit is accurate and I lose on average 1 lb a week which is what I'm set up for.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too. I routinely hit 16-19k steps a day and It gives me an adjustment. I never wear my FB during my workouts because I prefer to use my heart rate monitor. Some times it gives me up to 1000 cals. I hardly every use them, but I always wonder how much I should actually trust those numbers.

Why wouldn't you where ur Fitbit during workouts? Your are missing out on those steps. Fitbit was designed to wear all day. For some including myself I find that my hrm and Fitbit are very close in calorie burns.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What I did was tell MFP that I am sedentary and want to lose 1 pound per week, which is a 500 calorie deficit. I also told the Fitbit to give me a 500 calorie deficit, personalized. Personalized according to Fitbit: "Uses your past activity history to estimate your calorie burn for the day and increases or decreases if you're more or less active then usual."

Then I wear the Fitbit all day. I log my elliptical workout since it is not steps and the Fitbit won't record that accurately. The Fitbit sends MFP a calorie adjustment based on my ACTUAL activity level, meaning that it adjusts calories because I am not truly sedentary and that includes those exercise calories I logged. So, MFP starts you at a number and the Fitbit gives an adjustment. (That number changes throughout the day based on your activity as stated above.) Fitbit and MFP will have slightly different calorie suggestions for some reason, I'd go with the lower number if you want the 500 deficit. I have just started using a Fitbit again so I plan on watching for a couple of weeks to see where my TDEE usually sits and taking 20% off of that as a goal to shoot for.

If you're eating less than you burn and not losing weight, then you're probably underestimating your food calories.

ETA: I log the exercise via the Fitbit dashboard.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can refer back to this post later.