whats the point?

Options
Whats the point in eating back exercise calories? As long as you meet atleast 1200 calories net. Im not sure why we would spend all that time working out just to eat bk everything we just did.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Didn't read anything when you got here, did you......
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Whats the point in eating back exercise calories? As long as you meet atleast 1200 calories net. Im not sure why we would spend all that time working out just to eat bk everything we just did.
    When you enter your goals in MFP, it set up your calories with your deficit which does not include any exercise. If you do cardio, you need to eat a portion of the exercise calories back in order to properly fuel your body to keep up your exercise and other activities of daily living.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This will be worth a read..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

I personally only eat back half due to the overestimation of calories burned as I don't have a HRM.

ETA: just remember the goal calories mfp gives you is exactly that a goal and is number you should be netting not just eating as your goal (if set by mfp) is already at a calorie deficit :smile:
  • Olectra
    Olectra Posts: 21 Member
    Options

WOW... don't be so mean. Everyone has questions and the forums can equal 'information overload'.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

^^^^
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I first got here and tried to read various posts, it was SO overwhelming. Thankfully I read just enough not to get thrown into the 1200 calories flame-a-rama. Full disclosure, I did start at 1200 calories. But I learned from the smart people on here.
  • cspearl
    cspearl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You don't really want to eat much less than your basal metabolic rate as that may cause your body to think that it is starving and it will want to hold on to calories rather than expend them. Less calories is not necessarily better, it's about finding the right amount of calories for your body. Also it's important to replenish after a workout so that your body has the fuel stores ready for the next time you exercise.

You can go here to calculate your BMR: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    The BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you were bed-bound. It is the bare-bones minimum.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is through your calorie deficit, which is calculated for you when you sign up. Adding any exercise will increase your deficit, but you don't need a higher deficit, so in order to give your body enough fuel to properly function you must eat. The purpose of exercise to shape your muscles, thus shaping your body when the fat comes off through your diet. In addition to that, exercise's purposes also includes making your muscles stronger, improving posture, improving balance, increasing your cardiovascular endurance, regulate hormones etc etc etc. But without the fuel for the exercise none of that will occur.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is through your calorie deficit, which is calculated for you when you sign up. Adding any exercise will increase your deficit, but you don't need a higher deficit, so in order to give your body enough fuel to properly function you must eat. The purpose of exercise to shape your muscles, thus shaping your body when the fat comes off through your diet. In addition to that, exercise's purposes also includes making your muscles stronger, improving posture, improving balance, increasing your cardiovascular endurance, regulate hormones etc etc etc. But without the fuel for the exercise none of that will occur.

^^This!
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did read same of the stuff but it was a information over load that was normally conflicting info. I have a fit bit and it often shows a different calorie goal each day, I'm wondering if I should go by it since it knows what I've done....

Thanks for the awnsers guys. :) I think what really has me messed up is my doctor told me for my age/weight/activity level I should only eat 1400 a day. But that was to hard and MFP said something different so I went with what MFP said...
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If I were to only eat 1200 calories I'd never get to eat anything but boiled chicken breast and oatmeal. If I work out and "eat back" the calories I get to eat what I want, hit all my macros and still come in at a 1000 calories a day deficit. And I get to keep all my muscle while losing weight.

Should be obvious.....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The only way to net 1200 is either to eat 1200 and do zero exercise, or if you do exercise, to eat back those cals in order to bring your net back up to 1200.

Hence the need to eat them back. :tongue: That and the fact that whatever goal you're given by MFP already has you at a deficit before exercise - meaning eat all your calories every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise leaves you with a much larger deficit - too large, and can do you far more harm than good over time. Eating back the exercise cals keeps you at a reasonable, and much more sustainable deficit, fueling your body for workouts and daily activities.

That's how MFP is designed to work. That's why someone asked if you didn't read anything before starting here. :smile: It's good to know how the tools you're using are supposed to work in order to get the best benefits from it. :smile:
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Because I'm like a trained rat and am motivated to move for food. :bigsmile:
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Because I'm like a trained rat and am motivated to move for food. :bigsmile:

giphy.gif
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The easy way to think about it is the exercise is to keep you healthy not to lose weight. Your net calorie goal is set for you to lose the weight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I did read same of the stuff but it was a information over load that was normally conflicting info. I have a fit bit and it often shows a different calorie goal each day, I'm wondering if I should go by it since it knows what I've done....

Thanks for the awnsers guys. :) I think what really has me messed up is my doctor told me for my age/weight/activity level I should only eat 1400 a day. But that was to hard and MFP said something different so I went with what MFP said...

That different calorie number that you are seeing on your Fitbit isn't the number of calories it is telling you to eat, it is telling you how many calories you are burning for the day. If you eat that much you will maintain your current weight.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Your net is based on the calories you have to eat and workout calories. So if you are eating at least 1200 NET calories, than you will be fine. Personally I don't eat all of my calories back, so long as my net is 1,200 to 1,400.