I Don't Know If I Can Do This---

Options
Really need to lose weight, but I have a terrible time motivating myself. Would love to lose 50 lbs. I've tried this before and know to take small steps and that is what I need to remember. I have never found an exercise that I really enjoy. It's hard for me to know what to eat or cook--just run out of ideas. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
My main problem is I have depression and am on medicines that are known for weight gain, but I always prided myself in how I looked--so it would help me so much if I could lose this weight.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You can do anything that you set your mind to achieving. :)
    With that said go to the library and check out some healthy cookbooks or online has a variety. That way you get an idea of what you like to cook/eat. Then develop a routine that includes some walking or something. :) Maybe swimming. Set a goal for how many days you'd like to do that. Then sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

This is a great site and people are very supportive.

Good luck
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    WELCOME TO MFP!
    You have come to a great place. The community here is wonderful, we are all here for the same reason!! To loose weight & be healthy!! We are here to support & motivate each other. If you have questions about food, or exercise, don't be scared to ask!

You can do this!
    Good Luck on your journey!!

♥ Melissa
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You can do anything that you set your mind to achieving. :)
    With that said go to the library and check out some healthy cookbooks or online has a variety. That way you get an idea of what you like to cook/eat. Then develop a routine that includes some walking or something. :) Maybe swimming. Set a goal for how many days you'd like to do that. Then sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

This is a great site and people are very supportive.

Good luck
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. That's why we're here! This place has the most amazing people who will motivate you, inspire you, kick your booty to keep going, help you set goals, hold you accountable, etc. It's a place you feel supported and able to share your fears, successes and struggles. At some point you have to tell yourself, I HAVE to do this for me. You will find all the ideas you need here! Stick around! It only gets better from here! You CAN do this!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP! Second, yes you can do it. You just need to stick to and don't get distracted. MFP can help you stay focused. You can do it!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    One pound and one baby step at a time is the way to go.

I sympathize with you on the depression and the depression meds. I've been there. I will say that exercise is GREAT for helping with depression -- so try to push yourself to do it, even just a little. Having supportive friends is great for helping fight depression as well...and I can guarantee you will find that here on MFP.

Maybe the key is not to focus on the weight (I know... keep reading)... but focus on some other changes you want to make. The weight will follow, and if it doesn't I'd talk with your doctor about other options for meds or what is reasonable to expect while on the meds. Focus on just tracking calories for a week or two and being more aware of what you eat. Make your food diary public. Look Ask for help. Throw in a bit of exercise -- even walking, or even just being more aware of getting movement into your day to day life (like parking at the back of the parking lot and walking, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator).

What kinds of food do you like to eat? What kind of movement do you like to do?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    your attitude needs to change before your body does...if you're bound and determined to lose the weight then nothing will stop you. Be realistic, know that there's going to be ups and downs (trust me the "downs" suck)...but if you keep saying "i don't know" or "i can't" then you won't...
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You said you are on medications for depression... I had anxiety REALLY bad and it does take some getting used to but you will find if you start exercising and eating properly your depression may ease up! You may end up lowing those weight gain causing meds in the long run:) Wouldn't that be great?
    Welcome aboard, don't be ashamed of anything you need answers to!
    We are all here to help!
    Feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love the Cooking Light recipes. I have a hard time when I need to make food for myself and different food for my family (which I still do sometimes...) but Cooking Light is so yummy, they don't mind eating what I'm eating.

I have heard a lot about Zumba, and am thinking about getting it for my Wii. I have been doing The Firm workout dvds (I have about eight of them, I think) for a couple of years now, and they've made a huge difference. They're hard, but you get better quickly.

Start with small changes -- they'll have an immediate effect and you'll feel different about your journey. Or that's what's happened with me! When I tried to lose lots of weight fast, I always got discouraged and gave up. Slow and steady wins the race!!!
  • Ivaleekid
    Options
    Yes, you can do it!! It is a tough road, but MFP helps so much. I recently came back to it, because it is the one place I can go to that I know everyone is in a situation close to mine. I have always heard "just one day at a time" well, I have changed that for myself to one second at a time! You can do it!!! :happy:
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The first step is signing up so you are already doing it. The biggest thing is taking the time to take care of yourself and that means taking time to track food, excersize and learn to cook in a new way. You also need to keep in mind that you can't do everything all at once. Instead, add one new thing to your routine every other week or so. Get comfortable with the new thing before adding another. For instance for the next couple of weeks, just eat normally, but log all of your calories on the site. It will do two thing, first you will become comfortable logging food and 2nd you will get a good idea what you are doing that is negatively impacting your diet. After that pick one of those negatives and work on that while also reducing calories.

Use the site's tools because they are very helpful. Exercise is important to your health, but it does mean you have to be at the gym non stop. It can be a long walk, marching while you watch some tv, or adding some extra cleaning or gardening to your day. I walk my dog every day, but I increased it from 15 minutes to 30 minutes and it has made a huge difference. I only go to the gym about twice a week because I have increased those other activities.

I eat just about anything I want, I just modified things a bit. PAM when frying eggs instead of butter, 1% milk instead of 2%, a splash of water in my juice, measuring portions, lean protien (I even rinse hamburger before using it in sauce or chili) , 5-6 fruits and vegies every day.

Losing significant weight is a slow process. I need to lose about 60lbs. It has taken me 4 months to lose 12 lbs, but I know it will stay off this time (I have another 48 weeks to make my goal). You can do it too. Don't get discouraged if it starts off a bit slower than you would like.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Depression is a hard thing to struggle with. You might schedule an appt with your dr and/or a nutritonist who can help you with a healthy diet and workout that works for you. Also, you might ask your dr if there is something else that you could switch to that wont cause the weight gain, just an option. (we all react differently) You could also ask your dr to test your thyroid, those with hypothyroid are prone to depression and lack of energy/motivation, may or may not be an issue.

With that said, You can do this. We are all here to help you. If you have a friend who can work out with you that can be a big help. Don't let anything discourage you! :)

For workouts, I hear Zumba is lots of fun (looks like fun), but I haven't done it. I like to pop in my headphones and hit the eliptical and do some weights. Riding a bike (regular or stationary) with a friend can be fun or some people read books while on stationary. I have Jillian Michaels yoga, its enjoyable and holy cow its more of a workout than I expected. If you have a game system you might pick up a workout game or dancing game. A game is easy to get friends and family involved in to, then you have some competition :wink: You may have to try lots of things and you may find that you enjoy breaking it up and doing a few different things (ex: yoga monday, zumba wednesdy, eliptical friday) Just try to find your rhythm, Gool luck :)
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    You bet you can do this! I never thought I could commit myself to it...but 80 days later, here I am! Get a bunch of friends here on mfp and look at what they accomplished. That is what keeps me motivated! Do you have a wii or kinect? There are lots of great games that will get you moving and you will be having so much fun...you won't even realize the burn you are doing. You have to believe in yourself....because we all believe in you! :flowerforyou:
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety and if I had to name my biggest road block to losing weight, it's that. When you're in a down mood or feeling sad, it's VERY easy to turn to food and loungin' around as comfort.

While it's a little boring, I almost eat the same thing every day. I know that probably won't work for everyone, but it at least takes the decision making out of the process.

If you have to make 200 choices about food everyday, chances are your emotions will get the best of you at some point and you'll cheat. That's why I have a couple options for breakfast, same with lunch and snacks. I don't have to think!

Maybe find a buddy? Set up some regular workout so you have someone to be accountable to.

Good luck!