Need a red potatoes recipe

Options
Hey--I'm looking for a healthy way to cook for myself. I just bought a bag of red potatoes and need a quick way to cook a couple for dinners so I I don't exceed my calorie limit. Frying seems like a bad idea.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oven roast with a little olive oil, salt and rosemary. SO good and about as low-cal as potatoes get:)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1 med potato + tsp olive oil + spice of choice (i like rosemary for a toned down meal, jerk seasoning for some spice) + half hour in oven at 400 degrees= yum for about 150 cals
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oven roast with a little olive oil, salt and rosemary. SO good and about as low-cal as potatoes get:)
    Exactly what I was going to suggest! I will also add garlic and chop an onion &/or peppers if I have them. I roast them at 425 for about 45 minutes - it caramelizes the onions and peppers, super yummy!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I cut them into bite sized pieces, put them in a large Ziplock bag and toss them with a little olive oil, a little salt and pepper, and plenty of garlic powder, paprika and Italian seasoning. I put them on a cookie sheet with parchment (so they don't stick) in the oven at about 350 until they're soft when pierced with a fork.
  • SunniGirl143
    Options
    This is the best way to do it! The family loves it. Sometimes I'll bakewith the potatoes and then saute up some asparagus, zuccinni, squash and onions - so Yummy! Oh and a bit of Santa Maria Seasoning Salt (has 1/3 sodium than salt - it's friggin' sweet):wink:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to suggest! I will also add garlic and chop an onion &/or peppers if I have them. I roast them at 425 for about 45 minutes - it caramelizes the onions and peppers, super yummy!

Yes, this!

Then the next time add a squeeze of lemon for something different!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy recipe for roasting that I really like:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Balsamic-Roasted-Red-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

And another good one (you can increase the cauliflower in this and it is still great)

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy-smashed-potatoes-94480.aspx
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    This is what we did tonight...super tasty. The words "these are better then french fries" came out of my mouth :laugh:
    1 med potato + tsp olive oil + spice of choice (i like rosemary for a toned down meal, jerk seasoning for some spice) + half hour in oven at 400 degrees= yum for about 150 cals
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I made these for my wife and her friends at a Wine Tasting Party a couple weeks ago. It was a huge success.

Stuffed Small Red Potato Shrimp Appetizer

small red potatoes (about 10), unpeeled
    extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup cream cheese
    4 bacon slices, cooked crisp, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons chives, minced

Bring red potatoes to a boil, simmer until fork-tender but not mushy; put in cold water to stop the cooking and drain. Cut potatoes in half without tearing the skins. Scoop out and discard centers of each small red potato using a melon baller leaving 1/4-inch walls; cut a thin slice off bottom of each small red potato to sit level.

Combine in a small bowl the sour cream, cream cheese, crumbled bacon, seasoning salt, pepper and chives; spoon into potatoes.

I topped each one with a large prawn that I had wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with brown sugar and broiled in the oven.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yummmy sounds delicious can't wait to try with the Italian seasoning. I do something close to this but without the Italian seasoning
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Halibut & Potatoes:

4 Servings.

Info per serving:
    Calories:333
    Carbs: 36
    Fat: 7
    Protein: 31
    Sugar: 3
    Sodium: 142

- 1.5 lbs of Alaskan halibut
    - Potatoes, chopped into 1/2 chunks
    - 10 spears of Asparagus (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
    - Scallions (chopped finely)
    - 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    - 1/4 tsp salt (skip if you want to cut your sodium intake)
    - 1/4 tsp black pepper
    - 1 tsp tarragon

1) Preheat oven to 400 - 425.
    2) Cut up 8 12" x 12" pieces of parchment paper. Arrange four of the pieces on a baking sheet or two.
    3) Divide the chopped potatoes, asparagus, and scallions into 1/4's and place in the center of each parchment piece.
    4) Arrange a fillet on halibut ontop of the potatoes, asparagus and scallions.
    5) Season each with the salt, pepper and tarragon.
    6) Pour 1/2 tbsp atop each of the halibut filets.
    7) Take remaining parchment pieces and place over the others. Roll the edges up to form a seal on all sides (should be little square-shaped packets now).
    8) Place in oven for 20 or so minutes. Remove and serve.

I need to check the baking time later...I'm doing this all from memory.
  • reginabroyles
    Options
    these are for the ziplock steam bags.

http://www.ziploc.com/Recipes/Pages/RecipesHome.aspx