Not much sleep and avoiding eating the bread!

Options
Hi all,

I had a plan for this morning, I had two sculptress maxi tone bars - I had planned to have one, but was feeling starving after having five hours sleep, but broken sleep . I came downstairs with my little one and want to eat everything, the bread, chocolate, even the cereal. I have already now had 450 kcal's... whoops.

I need a plan for the day, I have to be out of the house this am, but all the motivation I had yesterday is diminishing, I feel like I'm "chomping at the bit" as it were.

Obviously I am concerned about my weight gain, but I don't want to keep eating until I feel ill, yet bizarrely, tho sis exactly what I feel like doing.

Ah and if anyone has any tips on how to get a child to sleep well- much appreciated!!

Replies

• onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    PS Sorry I posted impulsively - shows the mind frame I'm in today!- I am just seeking support - again- if any other compulsive eaters have been in my situation, how have you moved on from the day? I'm considering throwing my favourite bread out... :-(
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about caring for children, but I can almost assure you that there isn't much you can do to make them sleep. You have to just stop yourself from eating when you aren't supposed to.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bread? Also, I don't think it's uncommon or abnormal to feel hungry in the morning. Nor is there anything wrong with eating a 450 calorie breakfast.

ETA: also nothing wrong with having a small breakfast, or skipping it altogether if that suits you (I myself am not a big breakfast person) but maybe you're someone that does better on a more substantial meal first thing than just a bar?
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Hi guys,

there is nothing wrong with eating bread, it's the quantity, I have eaten two bagels and threw the rest out. I'm just very weak willed, thats a thousand kcal in one breakfast. Desperately trying to get my little one to go back to bed! I have to learn to cope with sleep deprivation though or else I will just eat, and eat, and eat!

Thank you for your replies.
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY get your situation. There IS a link between poor sleep and weight gain. Your brain is tired, struggling to function, so it looks for that 'boost' of carbs to perk it up. I have experienced the almost EXACT situation you describe, many times.

Firstly, I don't know how old your child is, but hopefully young enough still for naps? My favorite strategy is to take baby to our bed, draw the curtains, snuggle down with the laptop and watch their favorite programme, Then lie down with them and hope they sleep. If they are still brestfeeding, feed them - if not, maybe take a sippy cup of milk with you to bed (but make sure they don't spill it in your bed!). Then, as soon as they sleep, lie down with them and sleep yourself. Set the alarm on your phone so you don't have nagging worries about not getting up in time to do everything else, and sleep, for as long as you can. Do this as soon as you can in the morning so it does not interfere with you / baby's sleep at bedtime.

Secondly, Get into the garden / park this afternoon. Get little one running about, in the hope it will wear them out!

Thirdly, cut yourself a bit of slack today. You will probably go over your calorie goal, and you will probably not make the healthiest choices. Just do your best - don't kickj yourself for eating 2 bagles, be proud you threw the rest away. A lack of sleep does funny things (remember it is used as a form or torture!) so don't exp[ect perfection - instead aim for damage limitation.
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    Iv got two boys (1.5yrs and 3yrs) so would be up at nights with them and up all day with them when second came along. I find when Im tired I eat for energy and eat all the sugary, carby foods to give me instant energy. I find I eat alot better with a good nights sleep. Maybe try to stick to a schedule for meals and eating and make yourself stick to it? Im going to stick to a 12-8pm eating window and that has always helped me stick to my meal plans x
  • millej30
    millej30 Posts: 17
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? I sip black coffee all morning to help curb any binges I may want (mornings are worst for me) and that really helps to suppress my appetite. Be sure to get your water in though!

Also I pre-track my days and be sure to leave a little wiggle room. That way even if I'm not able to get my workout in I know that I'm still on track to lose. It also helps ease my mind if I snack a little too much, but I ALWAYS track, even when in binge mode.

Good luck! Sleep is best but like you say you have to learn how to deal without it sometimes, especially as a mom.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Crazycatladytracey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im trying to avoid eating bread it makes me feeling bloated.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    I do drink coffee, thank you Millie-J, I have one in front of me! I definitely think without coddee I would be huge!

It's a funny feeling when very tired, I am much more impulsive, not the nicest person to be around either (ask my poor husband)! I don't know about any sleep deprived people on here but I seem to be getting ill veery week.

Bread,.. tracey I'm sorry it bloats you, for me it's an interesting one for me. It does fill me up so in moderation it's great, but if I have bread that I really like in the house, I'm worse with it than I am with chocolate, I just want more- I go into mega greedy mode. Yet I have found when I was more consistent with my weight and didn't have so many binges, I used to have one sandwich for lunch or supper- that's actually unite low kcal's and I felt more full than when I just had salads - even when the salads were covered in olive oil, protein. I have also found bread can make me tired after lunch, I would be happy with a sandwich for my evening meal but my husband likes his "big" meal when he gets home from work.

Good luck all x