Help, newbie struggling!

Options
Hey guys,

I'm 31 and never really dieted or exercised until recently. Yes I'm overweight (15st 5lb), but that wasn't the trigger for me to now join a gym and diet. I recently went for a new job and required a fitness test. Not an overly difficult test, but heart rate was monitored and went too high (not allowed to go above 90% of my max heart rate, which is 170).

I'm hoping to reapply soon, so I've joined a gym and keeping to a strict diet. Typical day:
Wake up 06:45 and eat porridge by 7am
07:10 15 min walk to work
11:00 eat 1 wrap (weight watchers wrap with tuna, lettuce, red onion)
15:00 eat second wrap (same as before)
18:30 15 minute walk home
19:00 eat last meal (salmon and couscous)
20:00 gym for approx 80 mins which is 40 mins cardio and 40 mins weights
21:30 protein shake

The wraps and main meals vary, but are similar low cal meals.
I'm drinking purely water, not snacking, yet somehow the weight isn't shifting! I'm going to the gym about 5 times a week. My fitness is improving as my heart rate is lower while I'm exercising, but don't understand what's going wrong. I've literally lost 2lb in 3 weeks. I'm hoping some nice knowledgable people out there can tell me where I'm going wrong. Thanks :)

Replies

• glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First if all, that's .67 pounds per week, which isn't awful
    Secondly, measure your food and count everything you eat, you can be miscounting your calories

Losing weight is a very slow process, stop expecting immediate results
  • lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi,
    how many calories are you eating? you don't seem to be eating many veggies and fruit. depending on your hight and weight weight loss can vary. But if we know how many calories you are eating and your height it will give us a better idea of what you should be aiming for.
  • Steevee_T
    Steevee_T Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I was expecting massive weigh loss :)
    I'm 5'8". Fruit and veg I must admin I eat very little. Veg is pretty much when I eat stew, which is once a week. Must admit I'm not a fan of either. Would you suggest taking some supplements/ vitamins as I'm not eating enough.

Calorie wise, I'll have to get the mrs counting lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that's a good rate of loss since you are not that many lbs over? 15 if you are a tall man is not a whole lot of weight to shed and people who are far from their goal shed weight faster.

Also I think you should take heart in the victory that you have already solved the problem for which you began which is your heart rate. Congratulations for taking the bull by the horns and already effecting such a great success.:flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So how many calories does that break down to?

Maybe you feel disappointed and as though you are struggling with decent progress because you're being too restrictive and are miserable? I dunno. That's my guess.
  • lyoill
    lyoill Posts: 59
    Options
    Yeah, I think I was expecting massive weigh loss :)
    I'm 5'8". Fruit and veg I must admin I eat very little. Veg is pretty much when I eat stew, which is once a week. Must admit I'm not a fan of either. Would you suggest taking some supplements/ vitamins as I'm not eating enough.

Calorie wise, I'll have to get the mrs counting lol

vitamins etc is not what I'm concerned with it's more of a heathy way to eat, the fibre and bang for your calorie buck so to speak. Weight watchers foods are very processed and un necessary. Eat well, good whole foods, fruit, veggies, lean meats, nuts and seeds in your calorie allowance with some treat foods thrown in and you will start to feel great. If you want to loose weight you need to address how many calories you are eating with how many you need in order to loose weight. just exercising isn't going to work if your food intake not calculated properly.

how many calories are you eating now? sorry are you make or female?