Surgery, unable to exercise. Help?

Options
So I have an upcoming surgery in a couple of days, I will be bed ridden for 2 weeks, back to normal activities after that and then I'm allowed to start brisk walks after 4 weeks and then get back into a proper routine in 6 weeks.
So my question is since I'm unable to workout is it possible for me to still lose weight over the next month and a bit?
Should I drop my calories to 1200-1300?
I'm currently 63kgs (usually 60kg but have put on weight, hence why I'm hoping I can lose weight even though I can't work out)
5'4 and almost 23years old.
I use to work out 6 times a week including crossfit and pole dancing but have since stopped weight training for a few weeks due to my upcoming surgery.

Is it possible to see some weight loss or am I dreaming?
Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    so long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight, since you aren't going to be as active (I don't know what you currently have your activity level set at) I'd set your activity level to a lower setting.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to sedentary while you're recovering, but I'd still be mindful of eating all your cals - your body needs fuel while healing. :smile:

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, just changed it now. Do you think 0.5% kg is the most I'm going to lose a week? Would love to lose 1kg a week ;) but I guess I have to be realistic!
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you have left to lose to be honest, looking at your photo, I would highly suggest no more than .5kg
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I would strongly advise you do not attempt to continue weight loss while you recover. First, being in a caloric deficit can impair you recovery and length the time you cannot exercise. Second, if you can't do any strength training, you might end up losing more lean mass then if you were able to strength train. I would eat at maintenance and simply try to recover from you surgery.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I would strongly advise you do not attempt to continue weight loss while you recover. First, being in a caloric deficit can impair you recovery and length the time you cannot exercise. Second, if you can't do any strength training, you might end up losing more lean mass then if you were able to strength train. I would eat at maintenance and simply try to recover from you surgery.

THis. You'll heal faster if you're body is getting the energy and nutrients it needs. Your priorities need to shift for a short time. Once you're better, they can shift back to weight loss. Good luck on your surgery and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Off topic: I've been on these boards too much because I read the title as "Sugery, unable to exercise. Help"

Again, GL OP.
  • Grrrrleo
    Grrrrleo Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks OP, thanks useful. I have pretty much the same stats as you and a similar situation however am injured (recurring knee problems) so no gym, currently trying to keep walking outside etc rather than running at the gym and so on , makes me feel like I'm doing at least something. I'm trying to restrict calories more to address the lack of burn that I'm used to.
  • irisized
    irisized Posts: 7
    Options
    try eating paleo.... I am unable to do a lot of exercise, I am 59 and have a knee replacement... I lost 6 lbs and 2 inches off my waist in 3 weeks....slow and steady
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I strongly agree. Surgery is a Big Deal. We take it for granted because it's so commonplace, but your body is about to go through some serious stuff and needs fuel to fix itself. Healthy eating means managing your weight to focus on long-term health. And the very best thing you can do for long-term health is to give your body the energy it needs to do what it needs to do.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise once when losing my first 28pounds. Just ate at a deficit and lost between 1.5 and 2 pounds a week. Working out is not necessary at all for weight loss.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise once when losing my first 28pounds. Just ate at a deficit and lost between 1.5 and 2 pounds a week. Working out is not necessary at all for weight loss.
    No one is saying you can't lose weight through diet alone. That is entirely possible. We are trying to say that being in a caloric deficit is a bad idea when trying to recover from an surgery. Also, if you are losing weight and not doing any kind of strength training, you run the risk of losing more lean mass (muscle) then if you were utilizing strength training.
  • karri82
    karri82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

This
    surgery is a major thing give you body chance to heal and don't worry about weight loss for a bit