Have a dinner date tonight, I need help!

Options
So, I'm going out to eat tonight, and I'm not sure where, so I can't plan ahead on the menu. I need help knowing what to pick so that I keep my calorie goals for the day. I know restaurant meals can often sound healthy, but still hide a ton of calories. What do you eat when you go out and still keep your diet in check? Any tips for me?

Thanks!

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    A lot of times in advance, I check out the restaurant online so I can see what they have, enter it into MFP or see if they have a nutritional menu. That always helps me! Do you know where you are going to eat? Otherwise I stick to a salad with a low cal dressing and something like chicken for the main course.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    I do salads with grilled protein and ask for the dressing on the side. This way I cantrol how much goes on or just dip my fork in for the taste with each bite. Also I'll exercise a lot the day of and watch breakfast and lunch followed by extra water so I'm not freaking out :bigsmile:
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Grilled Salmon is so yummy!
  • michie1979
    michie1979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    stick to red sauces with chicken, plenty of veg.
    no white sauces.
    Thats the easiest tip :)
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    A grilled chicken breast or small steak is always a good bet. Get a small garden salad with dressing on the side and you should be just fine! Have fun tonight!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    grilled not fried. dressing on the side (or ask for plain balsamic vinegar), avoid anything fried and I agree..... no white sauces. You are better off with red. Fill up on veggies before you dive into the main dish... you can order sides of veggies usually. OR... another method: ask for them to bring half of it in a to-go box and half of it on your plate.

Have fun!
  • tjmannis
    Options
    It is hard to get use to but ask the restaurant to customize your food; I have never been told no.....I have to travel for work so I eat out a lot! As an example order a nice chicken plate with vegetables and perhaps a sweet potato. A good healthy option until the chicken is cooked covered in butter (tip: ask for it dry, no butter not other sauce) ask for the vegetables dry as well, no butter or cheese and ask for the potato plane, butter on the side if you want just a bit. Skip the break basket they always seems to offer! Get a salad before your meal, no cheese and no bread crumbs, dressing on the side then dip your fork, do not drizzle. This will help fill you up. Drink lots of water with your meal - its good for you and it fills you up!. If you order a steak go small (most often a filet) the fat is a bit higher but you will get 6oz instead of 8oz+. Fish can be a good option as well, but again you need to order it dry and it is a good thing to know the grams of fat, some fish is very high - be it good fat, too much is still not good. Let me know if you have any questions.

TJ
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,428 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm gonna be the devil sitting on your other shoulder here. Do you go out to eat alot or is this a treat? Is it a special occasion? My husband and I don't go out to dinner that often so when we do (even if it's not a special occasion, it is a treat) I want to enjoy it. Yes, grilled salmon can be yummy (for other people, I personally hate it) and I really like grilled chicken but I eat that at home alot. I want food I can't cook well when I go out to dinner. So my strategy is to get something that sounds good to me (not the fried sampler platter!) and immediately ask for a to-go box. Skip the bread (and I LOVE bread) and steal a bite of dessert from my husband or skip that too. I'm not a big drinker so I'm good with water. I have found that when I eat the hunk of grilled chicken and a side salad, I am so disappointed and depressed and it ruins the evening. Yes, I know, food is supposed to be fuel for your body but God gave us taste buds for a reason! (I also get a big workout in, take it easy on food the next day and drink a ton of water). Have fun.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Well, I'm gonna be the devil sitting on your other shoulder here. Do you go out to eat alot or is this a treat? Is it a special occasion? My husband and I don't go out to dinner that often so when we do (even if it's not a special occasion, it is a treat) I want to enjoy it. Yes, grilled salmon can be yummy (for other people, I personally hate it) and I really like grilled chicken but I eat that at home alot. I want food I can't cook well when I go out to dinner. So my strategy is to get something that sounds good to me (not the fried sampler platter!) and immediately ask for a to-go box. Skip the bread (and I LOVE bread) and steal a bite of dessert from my husband or skip that too. I'm not a big drinker so I'm good with water. I have found that when I eat the hunk of grilled chicken and a side salad, I am so disappointed and depressed and it ruins the evening. Yes, I know, food is supposed to be fuel for your body but God gave us taste buds for a reason! (I also get a big workout in, take it easy on food the next day and drink a ton of water). Have fun.

I am with you on this one. We eat out so rarely that it is a treat and even though I know lamb has a high fat content I choose it. I absolutely cannot cook it well myself and no one else in my family even likes it. It truly is an indulgence for me and I skip the dessert.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options

I am with you on this one. We eat out so rarely that it is a treat and even though I know lamb has a high fat content I choose it. I absolutely cannot cook it well myself and no one else in my family even likes it. It truly is an indulgence for me and I skip the dessert.

I agree also! Just enjoy your dinner date especially if it's being paid for. =)
    Remember though you don't have to eat your whole plate - it's all about moderation
    (at least for me it is..I still eat pizza but not as many slices as I would unless it's happens to be a cheat day lol)

when I do go out to eat I skip the soda and stick w/ water to fight off the high sodium intake.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the advice on not stressing! I usually drink water with lemon, order, no appetizer, and don't munch on the bread. Then I can order what I want! I always ask for the to go container up front, split whatever meal I've ordered, and eat the rest the next day! Enjoy!

1436464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • stinago
    stinago Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is a dinner date. I say just go and do the best you can, but better than that
    enjoy your company!! Have fun!