Stretch marks are sabotaging my weight loss

Options

Replies

• whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    I know how you feel- I have stretch marks on my lower stomach and I feel insecure about them too. It sucks they exist, but when I get down on myself I remind myself how far I've come and how healthy I am for losing 150 pounds and I feel better about myself. You'll meet a good woman one day who wont even see your stretch marks. I promise.
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks on my belly, legs, arms and even my shoulders. I am 324 pounds and you know what? Once I hit my goal weight I won't give a damn. They will be there, along with my loose skin from being obese for 10+ years. But I know I will be happier, hell I already am and I have only lost 40 pounds. I'll be healthier than I have been in my entire life

A good woman won't Look at your stretch marks and shudder in revulsion. She will embrace you, flaws and all. Because frankly, no one is perfect we all have flaws. Some show and some are hidden.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    As a victim of childhood obesity, I have had stretch marks up and down my body for over 20 years. I have them on over 60% of my body.

Thankfully they do fade with time, so they're pretty fine and light looking.

Trust me, when you're svelte and in shape, NOBODY cares. No one. I have never, ever had a woman, or anyone, say a single thing about my stretch marks.

Being slimmer with stretch marks is 10,00000x better than being obese with them. If you let stretch marks stop you from reaching your goals so be it, but to be blunt, you'd be a damn fool.
  • MelissaNestor
    Options
    I also have tried everything under sun, but none worked. The first thing to keep in mind is that it will take time, so be patient while trying a home remedy. I even had problem with my sex life because it really lessen my confidence. I even had a tummy tuck to regain my confidence, but then my stretch marks started bothering me again.
    I have a wonderful recipe for stretch marks from the book Natural Homemade Skin Care Recipes.
    Its ¼ cup almond oil, ¼ cup coconut oil and two tablespoons rose hip oil with ten drops of carrot seed oil and optionally ten drops of tamanu or sea buckthorn oil (these two are regenerative for collagen and skin cells)This is amazing for lightening stretch marks, acne scars and discoloration.
  • Jez94
    Jez94 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey,
    I am a year older than you and I have stretch marks EVERYWHERE too, and they are seriously effecting me in similar ways to you...wont wear cloths that show my arms or legs(I just spent the summer in long sleeves and jeans and it was DEPRESSING) don't want to meet guys because of it, lack of confidence and they get me down I spend so much time think about them...how to get rid of them and how to cover them up-with cloths and creams/treatments. I don't want this to be a sob story but more a you're not alone...because all the stretch mark stories I hear/read about seem to be about women who have had children (and my guess is if I had gained a child I could probably be more accepting of my stretch marks-particually as getting bigger when you are pregnant is out of your control it HAS to happen--while my stretch marks are a reminder of poor choices)
    at times my stretch marks can seem all consuming I spend hours thinking about them and even crying about them. I know it seems ridiculous...but truly at times the feel like the worst thing in (MY) world-paticularly as someone so young.
    the lack of confidence from my stretch marks has had a lot of knock on effect and has also prohibited my weight loss/fitness (I don't want to swim with them or wear workout wear that shows my body..I also waited to begin my weight loss journey until after summer as not to risk more stretch marks-crazy I know )
    As well as telling you that I feel as though I am in the same (or a very similar) boat I want to give you a few tips, because while people saying that they aren't a big deal is kind it doesn't always feel helpful when you're at a stage in your life when stretch marks feel like "the end of the world"
    I try to remind myself that while they will never go away one day they will fade to barley noticeable.
    when I reach my weight loss goals they will be a reminder of how far I've come and extra motivation to keep the weight off as not to get more!! even if I feel I "can't" show my skin reaching my weight loss/ fitness goals will still make me feel/look better! and that I should be loved based on more than my looks--stretch marks don't make me any less funny, kind, smart, generous etc.

You shouldn't give up on your fitness goal!!! I think this is really important and going forward coconut oil is meant to help with the prevention of stretch marks (I have only just begin looking into this--but at the very least coconut oil will help moisturise your skin which helps with the elasticity of skin) drink more water (once again helps with elasticity of skin)--I am basically at the point where water is the only think I drink with the exception of the odd coffee/ tea and the tiniest bit of booze or lemon lime bitters when out with friends-drinking more water has HEAPS of health/weight loss benefits! don't try to loose weigh too fast and try not to yo-yo in you weight--gaining beck the weight you have lost will probably cause more stretch marks. working out is also meant to help with the elasticity of skin. SO that is just a few things to help encourage you in continuing on your weight loss/fitness journey and to hopefully keep you for getting more stretch marks.
    in terms of the ones you have now--I highly recommend wearing natural fibres (such as cotton and linen) as they are more 'breathable'--although I am going to try really hard to wear what I want despite my stretch marks. I have also been using creams and oils (like bio oil) my dr. told me to look out for anything that says it 'pre motes elasticity"and I am working on using more natural stretch mark remedies.
    at the end of the day I all you can really tell your self that stretch marks are like the ups and downs in life---they are a down right now but one day they will be so hard to notice and if you focus on them to much they will define you!
    GOOD LUCK! :)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't like my stretch marks too, but really, that's part of the process. There are many people who have them even if they're not overweight, sometimes it all depends on how thin is your skin. I started getting them when I was basically a child so there is really no way to avoid them... but first, stretch marks will surely look better on a healthy body that they would if you were still overweight. So it's always better losing weight rather than not doing it. And I also think that we overthink about it while other people might not care - I've honestly never noticed stretch marks in others, but I'd be ready to tell everyone how much I'm covered in them!
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have scars all over my breasts from multiple biopsies and I used to be super self-conscious about them. Then I realized that by the time I was with a guy and my shirt was off, he wasn't thinking about scars.

Your stretch marks are probably more visible than my scars but in my experience women look at them and DO NOT think "Awww, heck no!"

Edited because the first time around I made it sound like women are turned off my stretch marks. (I forgot the bolded words!)
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The kind of women who will judge you for your stretch marks are not the kinds of women you want to find. I know that you are young, but think long-term. Any woman you settle into a relationship with has the very real possibility that she will get stretch marks (especially if she wants kids, but even if she doesn't) of her own at some point.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My husband has stretch marks. So do I. I love him because of his flaws, not despite them. You deserve someone to love you like that too.

The good news is, you're young, and in time they do fade.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is accept that they're there. I was horrified at first, but honestly, they're there, they're not going anywhere, and I refuse to let such a trivial thing (which they are) spoil my accomplishments.

They REALLY do fade with time, though. You have to be really close to me to even realize they're there. They used to be awful - mostly when they were new, but over time they fade to nearly nothing.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My husband had bariatric surgery, and he has tons of stretchies after losing over 150lbs. That doesn't mean he's any less attractive, and it's rare that anyone actually notices them, myself included. He notices them, though, and it can be a spot of insecurity for him. Just keep in mind... they're not marks of failure, they're marks of success. The likelihood is that nobody will notice stretch marks, when they're too busy noticing how amazing you look with your healthy weight.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    They're not stretch marks, they're battle scars, and because now you're winning the war!

I'm down 80 lbs, with another 20 or so to go. I have some marks and some loose skin, and I know it will take a good bit of time before they go away ... if ever. But whenever I see them and feel a bit down, I remind myself how much better I look now than I did 80 lbs ago. My wife loves that she can get her arms around me now for a hug, even though there's some loose skin there.

Chin up! (I like to say that, now that my double chin is gone!)
  • drocknoel
    drocknoel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Women won't be turned off by the stretch marks. My ex girlfriend kept pushing for me to not be ashamed of them and when I finally told her they bugged me, she laughed and went, "Dude, they make it look like you fought a tiger." It made me feel a LOT better.

Get yourself to a point where you're happy with yourself and everything else will come to you :)
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't think I know anybody that doesn't have stretch marks. It's a fact of life. Only the models that look anorexic don't ... and probably some of them do too, they marks have just been air brushed out. But heh, you can't air brush out life events. I've had 2 kids and have gained and lost probably a dozen people over my life. So the stretch marks are here to stay.

I did read online about "dry skin brushing" and I've been doing that for probably 4 months or so now. It actually has helped a bit I think. If nothing else, it makes your skin feel baby soft. But you do the skin brushing, take a shower and then apply a good lotion after. A lotion with vitamin E, collagen, elastin and shea butter. I use a wonderful one that I found at a local store (chain) and the 2-tiered process actually has lightened the color of the marks. If anybody is interested in the name of the product, they could in-box me and I would be happy to share. And NO ... I don't get any kickback or anything, it's just a really good product and smells divine. And it seems to be good for the skin. Makes the marks go away? No. But lessens the look of them a bit, ya, just becuz of the color fading.

According to Health and Fitness, 80% of the population has stretch marks. So you ARE in good company.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    They will fade, they will always be there but they won't always be red.

That said, they will be there if you are fit or large. What you do with your body from this point forward is your decision. You can hide behind your scars, or you can accept them and move on to working to control the parts of your body that you are able to.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you end up with a nice athletic body at the end of this journey, I guarantee no one will focus on your stretch marks. They will show how far you have come and that is very admirable.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    They don't go away 100% though they will fade. I have them all over my body, however when I am fit, I don't care as much, I'm proud of my hard work and show off. Don't worry so much, if you are getting into great shape girls are going to notice that first before they notice stretch marks, and any girl you date will probably have her own as well.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hello....... In case you haven't noticed you are a really good looking guy... My husband has stretch marks, me too. He has a beer belly also. What attracted me to him was his self confidence. Anyone who judges you for your stretch marks doesn't deserve you anyway. WE ALL HAVE SOME KIND OF FLAWS. You have been successful at weight loss and that shows what you are made of and people respond to that also. Just remember one thing. "God does not make junk" when I was my heaviest I hated everything about myself. My hair, body, and all. My husband could not understand it because he told me he fell in love with me, not the stuff I was so obsessed with. You will find that girl who may also have flaws but you know what it's called life. Go live it and to hell if someone does not like your marks. We all have them. Life is too short to worry about what other people think . Go have fun.. You deserve it all. Take that shirt off and enjoy the rays.... :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I lived with stretch marks I hated on my belly for years and years and years. If it weren't for those my body was fit enough for bikini's so it was very frustrating and they were on my mind constantly.

I still managed to live life though by dressing in ways that covered them. This helped me feel like people might focus on other parts of me and most importantly that I PERSONALLY could focus on other parts of me that I like, like certain aspects of my personality. I was working in the corporate world which welcomes conservative dress so it worked out.

Last few years after having a tummy tuck surgery that removed lots of my stretch marks after having a second child an "earning" more stripes, I am almost stretch mark free. (On my belly). The only thing standing in my way now is weight loss. I hope I can get there though because I have major hurdles and I feel pretty alone in wanting that for myself. It doesn't really seem lately like anyone but me thinks I can do it or have either the method or wherewithal to do it. I probably only have myself to blame b/c I let a bad experience derail me completely.

In your case as a man I think women are more accepting of men as they are. I hope so because men accepted me with mine all those years and I hope women are at least as good if not better at seeing past the physical.