Help! I am consistantly lown on my iron

Options
I am doing a no bread, potato, or sugar diet....I am also watching my other foods...but I am always low in the iron category...how can I add iron without taking a supplement?

Replies

• marcelladc
    marcelladc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful link to research the nutrient content of food. Assuming you are not a big fan of liver, you might consider hibiscus tea. It is rather high in iron. Of course spinach and all types of beans are good too.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/report/nutrientsfrm?max=25&offset=0&totCount=0&nutrient1=303&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=0&fg=&sort=c&measureby=m
  • squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank for the link....it sure helps :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I track iron, so feel free to look at my diary for iron-rich foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, a lot of people don't enter iron, vitamins and calcium when they enter a food in the database, so you might actually be fine.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with low iron as well, and I know it is difficult to get enough without resorting to iron-fortified breads and cereals.

Shellfish such as mussels, clams, and oysters have more iron per serving than any other meat-based source. Considering that they are high in protein, low fat, and a good source of many other nutrients, you should definitely find a way to include them in your diet. (Unless you have an allergy, of course) The best vegetarian source of iron is pumpkin seeds. Hulled hemp seeds are also a good choice at 10% RDI per 1 tbsp.

One thing to consider would be adding spirulina to your diet. You can sometimes find it in health food stores either as a supplement on its own, but it is also an important component of most "green food" supplements, which are commonly available. I've used Greens+ by Genuine Health as well as Progressive VegeGreens. I believe both contain over 50% of the RDI.

These greens powders are dietary supplement. I know you said you wanted to avoid supplements, but these products are better than iron supplements in many ways. Most importantly (to me) is that it is an easily digestible form of iron, whereas iron supplements are not.
  • JJplus6
    JJplus6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First, try cooking in cast-iron cookware. I've heard (not sure if this is scientific) that this actually helps increase iron consumption.

Also, be sure that you're eating the right foods along with your iron-rich foods. Some assist absorption of iron while others inhibit it: http://www.irondisorders.org/diet/

And take note of how your low iron levels might coincide with hormonal changes throughout your cycle.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A lot of entries in the database don't actually have iron entered so you may not actually be low it's the same for calcium and many other things the entries just don't accurately track them. Leafy greens, spinach, nuts and seeds all are good iron sources. Also make sure you get enough Vitamin C as that enables sufficient iron uptake
  • McCrabby
    McCrabby Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A lot of entries in the database don't actually have iron entered so you may not actually be low it's the same for calcium and many other things the entries just don't accurately track them. Leafy greens, spinach, nuts and seeds all are good iron sources. Also make sure you get enough Vitamin C as that enables sufficient iron uptake

+1

I can't remember if you mentioned not wanting to eat meat, but if you're not against it, try eating venison, buffalo, or liver. Especially liver. Game meat is very lean, and a great source of protein