Adding variations to my exercise

Options
Hi, guys. I have lost around 7 kg from the last time I posted a thread. I now weigh around 92.5 kg.
What I do is usually just jogging everyday and eat healthy.

I'm considering on switching running to swimming because I read it stresses the muscles less but burn more calorie. I just got injured from running and I couldn't walk for a week and even now I still find it hard to go jogging with the condition of my ankle. I feel a slight discomfort whenever I jog. I started running again three days ago and two days ago for 5 miles each, but my pace was significantly dropped. I used to be able to complete this run in 55-57 minutes, but that time it was 68 minutes. Maybe I need to rest my ankle a bit more? It's only been two weeks.

Thankfully, I didn't gain weight.
Yesterday I did 0.5km breast stroke and 0.5km front crawl in a 50m pool. I did it in about 45-50 minutes or so. I could keep going but I made a promise with a friend to go out. I certainly feel more comfortable with my ankle compared to when I jog.

My question is does swimming burn fat equally all over the body just like jogging does? Or it works on some particular muscles only? Approximately how much did I burn yesterday? If I did 1km breast troke and 1km front crawl, how much will I burn?

I also managed to get myself two dumbbells. Do you guys can think of any exercise that I can add to my routine? Possibly that will help me lose fat in my chest, belly, thighs and *kitten*.

Also what do I need to do to prevent excess skin from happening? I have lost 40 kg and I don't think I have it, but I want to prevent it from happening.

Replies

• LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your fat loss so far!
    There are a few things I'd just like to mention.. First you can't burn fat on one particular area of your body. Fat comes off in layers, so it doesn't matter what exercise you do, it won't come off in a particular spot. 1000 crunches won't necessarily burn more fat off your belly, it all depends on genetics. Some people lose fat evenly, others around their waist/arms first etc..
    Also, the best way to lose fat isn't low intensity cardio like jogging and swimming for hours. Sure, that burns calories but it won't build a lot of muscle.
    Muscle is the real fat burner, consuming more calories than fat. Think of bodybuilders, do you ever wonder why they can eat so much? Their workouts are intense and they need huge amounts of (healthy) food to feed the muscle.
    The best way to lose fat is through lifting heavy weights. Obviously you will need to rest your ankle for a while but once you're back on your feet (literally) you should really consider strength training. And no, you won't become huge and bulky like a man. I think the best website to start you off is nerdfitness.
    Read this article to begin with, then look through the website if you're interested.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/11/7-strength-training-myths-every-woman-should-know/

Good luck (:

Edit: Feel free to message me if you have any questions (:
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried to run when i was 90+ kg and I injured myself pretty quickly. Knees hurt for 2 weeks.
    I never understood why (in tv shows etc) they push (very) overweight people to run, it kills your joints.

If jogging still hurts: don't do it.
    I've made the same mistake before, thinking it only hurt a little bit, and I'll never make that mistake again :noway:

Swimming is a great exercise, but to lose fat the most important part is your diet.