Discouraged. Seriously Need some Help Please :(

Options
Hi all, I have been a member of MFP for a while but have got out of the habit of using it. Last year when I joined I lost about 10kgs (went from 97 to 87). I got a bit unmotivated and stopped logging. I started up again this year but havent been able to keep up with it so have just been doing my own thing. Since last year I have been eating everything organic and/or fresh, no packets and no refined sugars generally (obviously have a few every now and then). I Run 5km 2-3 times a week, cycle to work most days and am generally very active. Problem is I have not lost any weight since last year and I am becoming very discouraged. I am pleased with how fit I have become but I still have a lot of weight I would like to get rid of but it's just not happening. Even when I log everything I eat, change up my exerciese, do intervals, cross train etc that everybody says to do. Sorry about the rant, but today I am just feeling completely useless and a bit like 'why do i even bother?"

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance :) Also I think I might need some lovely motivating friends so please add me as a friend if you can

Replies

• ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been a member of MFP for a while but have got out of the habit of using it. Last year when I joined I lost about 10kgs (went from 97 to 87). I got a bit unmotivated and stopped logging. I started up again this year but havent been able to keep up with it so have just been doing my own thing. Since last year I have been eating everything organic and/or fresh, no packets and no refined sugars generally (obviously have a few every now and then). I Run 5km 2-3 times a week, cycle to work most days and am generally very active. Problem is I have not lost any weight since last year and I am becoming very discouraged. I am pleased with how fit I have become but I still have a lot of weight I would like to get rid of but it's just not happening. Even when I log everything I eat, change up my exerciese, do intervals, cross train etc that everybody says to do. Sorry about the rant, but today I am just feeling completely useless and a bit like 'why do i even bother?"

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance :) Also I think I might need some lovely motivating friends so please add me as a friend if you can

So, what would the alternative and not even bothering look like?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you are doing what you say you are doing, you have likely lost fat and gained muscle. Have you noticed a change in your clothing and how your clothes fit you? How you feel in the morning/at night? How your sleep is?

Not all accomplishments can be solved by relying on the scale. I know people who have never been healthier and have gained weight in their journey to good health.

Don't lose hope. If you are at a plateau it will pass. Perhaps log your food just to see how your sodium intake is doing, and how much water you're drinking. That alone can help to get over the hump.

Best of luck.
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did read your post and I am concerned...you said you went from 97 pounds to 87 pounds??? and you have loads to lose. I apologize if I have misread this, but I am just concerned...
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, are your exercises intense. Are you pushing hard or just cruising along with them. Even though you are eating good are you eating to much? Are you clothes loser
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I did read your post and I am concerned...you said you went from 97 pounds to 87 pounds??? and you have loads to lose. I apologize if I have misread this, but I am just concerned...

Kilograms.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

She didn't say lbs ;-)
  • Ashleigh_sarah
    Ashleigh_sarah Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    oh gosh I'm sorry I forgot most of you work in pounds, I meant in KGs rather than pounds haha thanks
  • Ashleigh_sarah
    Options
    Thank you, yeah I know I shouldn't focus on the scale, but my measurements aren't really moving wither. I am not really seeing a difference in my clothes, but my fitness levels are a hundred times better so I guess thats something. I'll start tracking again from Monday. My backs playing up now so there'll be no exercise for a while I think :)
  • Ashleigh_sarah
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and did relatively intense workouts, but yeah actually they're getting more and more cruisy lately! Will def start logging my food again to make sure I'm not eating too much. Thanks :)
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I knew I misread something. sorry :blushing:
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you may be overestimating your cals or eating too many cals back from incorrect calculation of burn... Are you measuring all your food? Try reducing by 100-200 cals for a few months and see what happens?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly from diet so no wonder you aren't losing since you aren't logging it. Hope you have scales to weigh it all too or you'll be out by quiet a lot most likely.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    p.s. if you've stayed the same weight for a year - YAY you found your maintenance!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more to compensate which is making you stronger, not smaller. Time to start logging!
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym and did relatively intense workouts, but yeah actually they're getting more and more cruisy lately! Will def start logging my food again to make sure I'm not eating too much. Thanks :)

Yeah I'd say, workout intense and try and workout a meal plan for the week and track it, and stick to it, might help workout what's going wrong. Good luck.
  • Ashleigh_sarah
    Options
    Thank guys :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Best advice for the next month: Eat it, log it, live it......If you've added muscle you'll have a better of idea how much above your maintenance you are calorically. Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. Find a reasonable goal and weigh your food to make sure you're not eating too much.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    hang in there. sometimes you just need to break the cycle. like eat more or eat something out of your comfort zone. would love to support and motivate.