Trader Joe's!

Options
So we just had a brand new TJ's open up a few days ago. I'm going for the first time tomorrow--are there any must-haves for my list? I'm looking for all kinds of recommendations. Healthy snacks, meals, specialty items, drinks? What are some of the things you like to pick up?

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    They have some really great variety packs of lox salmon.

Also, at the entry of the stores out here, there is a monthly specials booklet highlighting what's in season and what's on sale.

Be careful, though. That place can be spendy.
  • minnie_mousse
    minnie_mousse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    COCONUT CHIPS (SO GOOD) and sulphite free/natural dried mango.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not sure about healthy snacks but they have a triple ginger cookie that is awesome. ????
  • EwaJP
    EwaJP Posts: 1
    Options
    I adore picking up some of their salads. Keep an eye out because some of them are calorie bombs, but some are very reasonable, filling, and delicious. I also love some of their frozen vegetables blends and quinoa veggie blends. Try them out to see what you like! The frozen ice glazed chicken breasts are very handy to have in the freezer for cooking up protein - they taste juicy and fresh after being cooked. For a sweet treat I love their tapioca pudding - the whole container is under 600 calories. Absolutely delicious!
    Honestly, just poke around and try new things little by little!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bagged 'cruciferous blend' (which is shredded kale,cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc)... great sauteed up with some onion added, and drizzled with balsamic. Also LOVE thir bagged 'Rocket Arugula'... yummy in salads. Their non-fat plain Greek yogurt is good (I eat it with pomegranate seeds on it, which you can also find there!) And in their frozen section-- 'Just Grilled Chicken'... it's already cooked, sliced grilled breast pieces - easy to grab a few, let them thaw and add to salad or whenever my meal/snack needs a bit of protein. Reduced guilt pita chips w/sea salt are yummy with ANY of their hummus... they have a great variety of hummus'. Just cruise around, see what you like and enjoy! (BTW-- when the holidays roll around, they have a lot of seasonal DEE-LICIOUS stuff. Not necessarily 'healthy'...but yum!!!)
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's cause I don't have to check anything for msg, etc., cause nothing has it. I don't think it's pricey at all...much less so than Whole Foods or Sprouts, though different... I am not crazy about produce there, as I like it really fresh, though their packs of zucchini, and some of the other packaged produce are all good if I want a bunch to barbecue, etc. I like that their bags of greens of different types are usually the same price for organic as not. I like to buy their "just chicken" packs, which are precooked pieces of breast meat - can add to salad or almost anything. Decent turkey and beef jerky, great prices on nuts, and their lowfat vanilla yogurt is really good (though a bit more sugar than I want in my yogurt every day. My bf is 6/7" and 260, so it is also a great place for me to get frozen things I can nuke for him when he's hungry and I am not interested in a more calorie-filled meal, and not wanting to cook. Have fun!
  • Chrissy8172
    Chrissy8172 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys!! I'm so excited to try all of your suggestions!
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the cookie butter! It is so tasty and bad! I buy certain things at TJ's due to great costs. I often buy cheeses there (great variety!), yogurt, eggs, and milk. I buy the in season produce and flowers. I also buy some of their frozen foods. I especially like their frozen spinach lasagna. They are great for nights I don't have time to cook, they are filling and low in calories. Frozen fruits are great too.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt spinach kale dip!! Oh so good.

And I really love their chimichurri rice! Makes great soup.
  • platedlizard
    platedlizard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Their store-brand wine and beer is good and cheap. That's pretty much the only reason I go to Trader Joe's lol
  • AWorth10
    AWorth10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love to use their 100 calories whole wheat pockets, regular hummus, and lettuce for a light lunch sandwich. I am in love with the 45 cal for 2 table spoons Campaign pear with gorganzola vinagrette!
  • tennisfan77
    tennisfan77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the unsalted roasted pistachio nuts from Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's also has heavy cream that is pure without any chemicals added. Low carbohydrate, high healthy fat ,and high protein is the healthiest diet . It also promotes weight loss with little hunger.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the unsalted roasted pistachio nuts from Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's also has heavy cream that is pure without any chemicals added. Low carbohydrate, high healthy fat ,and high protein is the healthiest diet . It also promotes weight loss with little hunger.

Ah-ah! It's the healthiest diet for YOU and others who are functioning in such a way that can process it. Try telling someone with kidney disease that a high protein (which usually goes hand in hand with sodium/calcium) is healthiest diet.

There is no one size fits all, all bodies are a unique blueprint. This is why we refer you to doctors first. I like to eat high protein low carb too, because I'm diabetic. Is it the best? Absolutely not. At least, not for everyone.
  • sayray16
    sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They have this pack of little mandarines that make a great snack. They are super easy to peal too, and they always taste amazing!
  • Chrissy8172
    Options

Mmm those pistachios sound amazing! I try to follow low carb, high protein and it really seems to work for me thus far.
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    They have some really great variety packs of lox salmon.

Also, at the entry of the stores out here, there is a monthly specials booklet highlighting what's in season and what's on sale.

Be careful, though. That place can be spendy.

I love me some lox, I will have to be on the lookout for that. I've heard it's pricey but I'm interested to see how it compares to Whole Foods, which is where I do a lot of my shopping!
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    Greek yogurt spinach kale dip!! Oh so good.

And I really love their chimichurri rice! Makes great soup.

The spinach kale dip sounds AMAZING! I'll have to pick that up and have it with the pita chips some recommended higher up in the thread…I am so excited.
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    Stay away from the cookie butter! It is so tasty and bad! I buy certain things at TJ's due to great costs. I often buy cheeses there (great variety!), yogurt, eggs, and milk. I buy the in season produce and flowers. I also buy some of their frozen foods. I especially like their frozen spinach lasagna. They are great for nights I don't have time to cook, they are filling and low in calories. Frozen fruits are great too.

Cookie butter??!! Whatever it is, it sounds magical, so I'm sure it can't be healthy haha! I'm going to try that frozen spinach lasagna, thank you!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like their cocoa almond spread -- not low calorie, but I make room for it in my diet.

I also like their frozen tamales (or pretty much anything in their frozen food section), their bagged arugala, their chili lime chicken burgers (just discovered them and they are AMAZING), their mashed potatoes (frozen and lower cal than most instant), and their dark chocolate.

I have never bought anything at TJ's and regretted it. It's in my way home from work and it's hard not to stop there everyday.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    This isn't healthy, but it's a nice treat.
    My friend bought me a bottle of wine with a cat on it from there for my birthday last year.
    It was the best white wine I've ever had.