Trader Joe's!

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's, but I hate shopping there. It's always crowded and has a long line. I'm going to try going early one morning.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure about healthy snacks but they have a triple ginger cookie that is awesome. ????

Years ago, I used to live near one and I'd always get Gingeroos - (ginger cookies.) Don't know if they're still there or if they switched to that "triple ginger cookie" thing she's talking about. Either way, I vote for TJ's ginger cookies. :drinker:
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love their almond milk in the refrigerated section. Their guacamole is awesome too, cheaper than buying the avocados by themselves. If you eat bread, their sprouted flourless bread is amazing. Their nut butters are good, no strange ingredients. I'm also a big fan of the barbaras cereal.
    They have no sugar, no salt pasta sauce, gluten free pastas. Their canned beans are good too and no strange ingredients, low sodium.

Also to the person talking about MSG. While trader joes is suppose to be no gmo, no msg, no high fructose corn syrup, etc. SOME of their products have yeast extract which is MSG by another name and a lot of their chocolate products have corn syrup/corn syrup solids in them. I love TJ and do a lot of my shopping there BUT you still need to read labels.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING. Truly.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese medallions.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Frozen shrimp, fettuccine Alfredo and salsa...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of the regular things I get at TJ's:

Coconut sugar
    Shredded sweetened coconut
    Golden roasted flax seeds (whole)
    Uncle Sam's cereal
    Bran flakes cereal
    Frozen Brown Rice
    Mixed rice with quinoa (I think)
    Frozen berries for smoothies
    Diced tomatoes (big can)
    Whole wheat pasta (spirals and penne)
    Wine! (Great low cost bottles)
    Celery
    Rainbow carrots
    Green onions
    Yellow onions
    Basil
    Lemons
    Grated parmesan cheese
    Grated romano cheese
    Edamame
    Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Hearty organic vegetable broth
    Bagged spinach, mixed greens and kale
    Mushrooms
    Diced butternut squash
    Persian cucumbers

And check out their frozen foods section. Ah-MAY-zing. For reals. Here are some of the things I buy for the fiance since I'm a vegan:
    Mandarin chicken
    Scallops in a cream sauce
    Salmon patties
    Mahi-mahi patties
    Butternut squash risotto
    Asparagus risotto
    Eggs - they have this wonderful crack to the shell, can't understand why, but it's only with TJ's eggs!

Okay, that's all I can think of right now... maybe I'll add to it.

ETA: Just remembered a few more!
  • Chrissy8172
    Chrissy8172 Posts: 29
    Options
    Here is a list of the regular things I get at TJ's:

Coconut sugar
    Shredded sweetened coconut
    Golden roasted flax seeds (whole)
    Uncle Sam's cereal
    Bran flakes cereal
    Frozen Brown Rice
    Mixed rice with quinoa (I think)
    Frozen berries for smoothies
    Diced tomatoes (big can)
    Whole wheat pasta (spirals and penne)
    Wine! (Great low cost bottles)
    Celery
    Rainbow carrots
    Green onions
    Yellow onions
    Basil
    Lemons
    Grated parmesan cheese
    Grated romano cheese
    Edamame
    Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    Hearty organic vegetable broth

And check out their frozen foods section. Ah-MAY-zing. For reals. Here are some of the things I buy for the fiance since I'm a vegan:
    Mandarin chicken
    Scallops in a cream sauce
    Salmon patties
    Mahi-mahi patties
    Butternut squash risotto
    Asparagus risotto
    Eggs - they have this wonderful crack to the shell, can't understand why, but it's only with TJ's eggs!

Okay, that's all I can think of right now... maybe I'll add to it.

Ahhh this list is amazing! I am printing it out as we speak…thanks so much for taking the time to write this up! :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm SO excited for you! I've always had a TJs and I can't imagine life without one! Oh, and they also have tons of great bags of nuts, dried fruits, trail mixes, etc.
  • grniys
    grniys Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like their kale yogurt dip. I've actually only ever found two things at TJ's that I do not like. The first is the kale yogurt dip, and the second is the Tofu Edamame nuggets. I love, love, love their guiltless guac. It's guacamole mixed with greek yogurt and so, so yummy, and really lightens up the calories and fat. Their pesto gouda is delicious. I like to shred a bit and add it to scrambled eggs. They have shrimp stir fry which is low cal and seriously good. The Island Soyaki sauce is a great marinade.
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm SO excited for you! I've always had a TJs and I can't imagine life without one! Oh, and they also have tons of great bags of nuts, dried fruits, trail mixes, etc.

Yes, here in FL we're just starting to get them now. I will check those out as well, thank you again!
  • Chrissy8172
    Options
    I personally do not like their kale yogurt dip. I've actually only ever found two things at TJ's that I do not like. The first is the kale yogurt dip, and the second is the Tofu Edamame nuggets. I love, love, love their guiltless guac. It's guacamole mixed with greek yogurt and so, so yummy, and really lightens up the calories and fat. Their pesto gouda is delicious. I like to shred a bit and add it to scrambled eggs. They have shrimp stir fry which is low cal and seriously good. The Island Soyaki sauce is a great marinade.

I really love guacamole, so I'll have to check that out! And pesto gouda?? Omg my grocery bill is going to be insane, I need all of these things!
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I know someone else already said this, but, EVERYTHING
  • Juliebug33
    Juliebug33 Posts: 15
    Options
    whole bean dark roast coffee in the blue can
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Roasted coconut chips
    Salt & pepper pistachios
    Coconut cashews
    Sunflower seeds
    Spinach & kale greek yogurt dip
    Turkey burgers (frozen)
    Roasted garlic hummus
    Pomegranate seeds
    Bananas (only 19 cents a piece)
    Veggie & flaxseed tortilla chips
    Banana chips
    Kale chips
    Creamy spinach & artichoke dip (frozen)
    Asparagus spears
    Organic virgin coconut oil
    Rolled oats
    Mango and green juice smoothies
    Cold pressed juice
    Gone bananas (frozen chocolate covered banana slices)
    Fuji apple slices
    Pomegranate green tea
    Flax seeds
    Chia seeds
    Organic hemp protein powder
    Cold brew coffee concentrate
    Inner peas
    Happy treks
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's not exactly diet-friendly, but they have this amazing French flat bread pizza (Tarte something?) that is made with creme fraiche, parmesan, and mushrooms. I ccould eat the entire thing in a single sitting (this is why I'm fat!)!!! The entire frozen section is amazing, actually, and I would load up on everything there back in the day. The cookie butter is to die for but again, not exactly healthy!

The ginger cookies are superb and the sushi is fairly decent for grocery store sushi. Be careful with the produce, though. Sometimes you have to dig for the good pickings and on quick glance, it seems like a good deal but sometimes it's cheaper to get the produce at a chain or farmer's market (the bananas come to mind, they're almost always double what my local chain sells them for). The meat is almost always more expensive than at chains.

Their health and beauty section though is the real crown jewel, for me. Tons of organic, fragrant soaps and skin creams at really great prices.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING. Truly.

This^^
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

We love tofu nuggets~
    For kale dip, I mix some cooked salmon, it turns out very tasty...
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Also to the person talking about MSG. While trader joes is suppose to be no gmo, no msg, no high fructose corn syrup, etc. SOME of their products have yeast extract which is MSG by another name and a lot of their chocolate products have corn syrup/corn syrup solids in them. I love TJ and do a lot of my shopping there BUT you still need to read labels.
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    thank you for the above info re: yeast extract. my sis and a lot of friends are allergic, and I don't choose to ingest it or support food suppliers that use it. appreciate your input. also, lots of good things here I need to try now....and I shop there pretty regularly.