What the hell is an "oilless deep fryer"?

Options
GreatDepression
GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
Is it basically a mini-oven? How do you get foods to cook like it is deep fried without oil?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a T-Fal Actifry and it's AWESOME. You actually do use a spoonful of oil (spoon comes with the machine). It makes great homemade french fries.

This particular machine uses hot air to cook the food. It has a "paddle" that slowly stirs the food as it cooks.

Edited for spelling.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a T-Fal Actifry and it's AWESOME. You actually do use a spoonful of oil (spoon comes with the machine). It makes great homemade french fries.

This particular machine uses hot air to cook the food. It has a "paddle" that slowly stirs the food as it cooks.

Edited for spelling.

this sounds awesome! what sort of things do you cook in it??
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Not to plug a certain company I may or may not work for....

but the Philips Airfryer. Don't have one, but the ads and previews on QVC looked impressive.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yep its aTefal Actifry and great, not for chips I feel personally, cos they're too dry and tasteless done in it but for potato wedges if you add spices they are really tasty. Great for stir frying veg and also cooking sausages/chicken pieces in.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds made up.
    tumblr_lyw3zkonhg1qcxtm5o1_500.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Edited for spelling.

Some of the reviews and tests on it, show it's pretty iffy in terms of the food it produces
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Sounds like disappointment.
  • fitqveen
    fitqveen Posts: 62
    Options
    my mum has an air fryer. She swears by it
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My dad makes his "fried" turkey in his.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    IN

because I've not heard of this , air frying..............
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Edited for spelling.

this sounds awesome! what sort of things do you cook in it??

French fries, chicken, veggies, you name it.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    We have and infrared "fryer" that uses a propane tank for Turkeys and Whole Chickens. We love it.

But it's too big for fish.

so you can put fish in this one?
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am in on the Actifry...love love love. I make fries in it, snacks, chicken, salmon.... the fries and snacks take some trail and error but Ihave found what worked for me.
  • itsmwd
    itsmwd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been using Phillips airfryer and very happy with it. Does frying "oilless" or with very little oil, food comes out almost as good as real fried.