Help :) weight training and cals

Options
Hey :)

Really need some help. I want to start weight training. I found a 12 week programme to follow at the gym on bodybuilding.com for beginners which looks really good. But I'm confused with the cals and macros and how much I should consume. Basically nod the programme it's saying 30 mins cardio and around 30 mins of weight training with three days off a week.

So I should I consume a different amount of cals on my days off??

Also ideally I would like to loose weight as I'm not at goal yet. I'm 159lbs and would like to be 140lbs. I'm 5ft7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Replies

• Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips please?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try a TDEE calculator like this to work out your calorie goals: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Using this method you would eat the same amount of calories every day. When strength training it's still important to be adequately fuelled on rest days as that is when the muscles are repairing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Does the gym programme say anything about what you should eat? What does MFP set your calorie goals at?

Yes it would be sensible to eat a bit more on days that you are working out.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thanks both for the replys.

Karen - thanks I thought I would of had to have eaten less on the days of rest. In will check out the calculator.

Melanie - it does but it goes in depth and it has gone over my head, it's so confusing. MFP are saying based on the exercise I will be doing 1,680 so I'm not sure if that is right. As I do want to loose another stone and a half and weight train to build strength and muscle so not sure if you can do the both.
  • isabellybelly
    isabellybelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm working through this same problem. I'm generally hungrier after training so I eat 200-500 calories more, then make it up when I'm less hungry. I try to go low carb but get much better performance when I have moderate carbs on training days. Still working things out. My weight loss has stalled but the inches are still coming off so I'm okay with the progress so far.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    The last few months I have been eating rubbish as I'm travelling at the moment and been eating conveince rubbish and have put on half a stone.

So I'm reading up as much as I can on the exercise and nutrition before I begin weight training as I don't want to put even more weight on.

So what do you typically eat in a day if you don't mind me asking? Do you follow a specific training programme?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

Really need some help. I want to start weight training. I found a 12 week programme to follow at the gym on bodybuilding.com for beginners which looks really good. But I'm confused with the cals and macros and how much I should consume. Basically nod the programme it's saying 30 mins cardio and around 30 mins of weight training with three days off a week.

So I should I consume a different amount of cals on my days off??

Also ideally I would like to loose weight as I'm not at goal yet. I'm 159lbs and would like to be 140lbs. I'm 5ft7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

It all depends on whether you use MFP or the TDEE method for losing weight.

I use the MFP method because I did not have a regular exercise routine and based on your current weight I would personally recommend the following:

Enter your stats and non exercise activity level accurately into MFP

Set your weight loss goal for 0.5 lbs per week

Weigh, measure and accurately log everything you eat and drink (most important part)

There are posts that suggest macro requirements and I always forget the fat one but your protein intake should be around 1 g per lb of lean body mass or if you don't know your BF% then 0.75 g per lb should be fine to start with

Once you have your protein goal set the MFP % that gives the closest result to your calculation

Set your fat goal to 30% (until someone tells you what the recommended is) and leave the rest as carbs

Burning calories:

If you have an HRM use it for the cardio burn (if you havent then use the MFP entry for that exercise) and the cardio MFP entry for "Strength Training" for your weights workout and eat back between 50 & 70% of your exercise burns

Sorry, not the best at explaining but hope it makes sense
  • isabellybelly
    isabellybelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually coffee and greek yogurt or (on training days) oatmeal. Lunch and dinner are protein (chicken breast, dory, tuna, that sort of thing), green veggies (green beans, broccoli, sauteed spinach, etc), and (on training days) some carb (pasta, rice, pumpkin/squash, or beans).

The /r/fitness FAQ has been really helpful to me: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    The last few months I have been eating rubbish as I'm travelling at the moment and been eating conveince rubbish and have put on half a stone.

So I'm reading up as much as I can on the exercise and nutrition before I begin weight training as I don't want to put even more weight on.

So what do you typically eat in a day if you don't mind me asking? Do you follow a specific training programme?

Its how much you eat that is the problem not what you eat, apart from the fact that what you are eating may not be very satiating. I used to have the same problem having a job that has me on the road all day long.

I got around this by making lunches and snacks at home the evening before and having breakfast before going out in the morning so that I knew what I was eating. Now I am so used to reading food labels and counting calories in my head I do pick things up from the shops during the day every now and then

Typical breakfasts for me are Porridge with fruit & flaxseed, scrambled eggs or beans on toast

Lunches during the week tend to be variation on salads but generally include a good fibre source, such as puy lentils or peas and protein such as chicken breast, turkey breast or fish

Snacks tend to be fruit

Dinners are typical meat/fish potatoes and Veg, however I eat less potatoes than I used to and more veg. This is often followed by a yogurt or cheese

Evening snacks are nuts, more cheese and the odd drink of alcohol or 2
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thanks Isabella. I will look at that website :)

And Chris thanks for your reply. Yes this does help :) how do I know my body fat percentage? I don't have a heart rate monitor but I will get one. I will change my goals on MFP :) thanks. At the moment I have been reading up n things and I put in the exercise based on what I will be doing when I commence as at the moment it's zero.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Also Isabella you can still drink coffee?? What about alcohol? Can you have like one off day where you drink?
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options

Its how much you eat that is the problem not what you eat, apart from the fact that what you are eating may not be very satiating. I used to have the same problem having a job that has me on the road all day long.

I got around this by making lunches and snacks at home the evening before and having breakfast before going out in the morning so that I knew what I was eating. Now I am so used to reading food labels and counting calories in my head I do pick things up from the shops during the day every now and then

Typical breakfasts for me are Porridge with fruit & flaxseed, scrambled eggs or beans on toast

Lunches during the week tend to be variation on salads but generally include a good fibre source, such as puy lentils or peas and protein such as chicken breast, turkey breast or fish

Snacks tend to be fruit

Dinners are typical meat/fish potatoes and Veg, however I eat less potatoes than I used to and more veg. This is often followed by a yogurt or cheese

Thank you I really appreciate your reply. You can eat cheese?? I thought it was bad for you? M glad you can drink. But I'll have to change from beer to perhaps vodka ha ha. As I am travelling around Australia so I would find it hard to give up alcohol.

What is flaxseed?
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

And Chris thanks for your reply. Yes this does help :) how do I know my body fat percentage? I don't have a heart rate monitor but I will get one. I will change my goals on MFP :) thanks. At the moment I have been reading up n things and I put in the exercise based on what I will be doing when I commence as at the moment it's zero.

There are a lot of online methods of calculating BF%, with varying degrees of accuracy and should only be used as a guide albeit the guide is always worth having. Just google body fat measurement and take a few to get an average.

My first 30 or 40 lb loss was with little exercise so its possible and would suggest logging your food as soon as possible. Remember calorie deficit is for weight loss and exercise is for fitness
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Chrisorry for another reply but it says on my fitness pal to set percentages of the macros. So what should I set the carbs and protein to? It says for me to consume 2,180 cals. Does this seem likea. Lot to you?
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options

There are a lot of online methods of calculating BF%, with varying degrees of accuracy and should only be used as a guide albeit the guide is always worth having. Just google body fat measurement and take a few to get an average.

My first 30 or 40 lb loss was with little exercise so its possible and would suggest logging your food as soon as possible. Remember calorie deficit is for weight loss and exercise is for fitness

Yeah I lost 40lbs with no excersise at all and only gained half a stone that's cos I'm travelling but I do want to gain strength and muscle and clean eating so it's a different method now than before. So I want to make sure I'm eating right
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

Snacks tend to be fruit

Thank you I really appreciate your reply. You can eat cheese?? I thought it was bad for you? M glad you can drink. But I'll have to change from beer to perhaps vodka ha ha. As I am travelling around Australia so I would find it hard to give up alcohol.

What is flaxseed?

You can eat cheese, ice cream or anything you want in moderation provided you are under your daily calorie allowance. But before anyone jumps on that, you will end up eating a lot of healthy choices to keep yourself feeling full throughout the day

I still drink coffee, although less than I used to and alcohol can inhibit fat burning and is high in calories but once again in moderation and if it fits into your calorie goal then its fine, just make sure you eat enough food for the nutrients.

This is flaxseed http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-milled-flaxseed-5791.html can be bought from a lot of supermarkets and most health food shops. I use it for fibre but also has fats and proteins in it
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Thanks again :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Saw this topic and thought it read, weight training and cats. I had better go back to sleep. Or change my glasses. My cat does try to help in every thing I do.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Ha ha
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Chrisorry for another reply but it says on my fitness pal to set percentages of the macros. So what should I set the carbs and protein to? It says for me to consume 2,180 cals. Does this seem likea. Lot to you?
    This sounds a little high to me. I'm the same height and weight as you are, and I manually set my calories at 1800. I do 3 intense weight workouts 3 times per week, each a little more than 1 hour. I also garden and walk, outside or on treadmill, most days. I eat an extra 200 cals or so on weight workout days, and maybe eat back about 1/3 of exercise calories on other days, if I'm hungry. My macros are set to 35 percent protein, 35 percent fat and 30 percent carbs. This gives me about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. I don't worry about the bodyfat calculators except for fun because the are so inaccurate.

All of these numbers are estimates, so just get started at whatever calorie level you decide, and see what happens after a few weeks. You can always adjust based on how your body reacts.

Good luck with your new program!