How to "Get out of" starvation mode?

Options
Hello,
I am currently 155 pounds and MFP has me eating 1,200 calories a day for a weekly weight loss of 1.1 pounds. I usually end up eating about 1,000 - 1,100 calories a day and I don't exercise. I have been eating this way for about 7 weeks and I don't want to go into "Starvation Mode", so how do I get myself out of it?

Replies

• chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Why don't you.....eat more?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    One day each week, eat at least your BMR x 1.2 calories.
  • EmyleeNoel
    EmyleeNoel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you really should eat your minimum calories 1200 or as close to it as you can. Do you do any housework? It can count as exercise too. Try eating foods that are higher in protein when you do eat, that will help you feel full longer and give your body the fuel that it needs.
  • mmaaddyy
    Options
    you know what, just be quiet and keep dieting.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    My mom is a part of weight watchers, and she told me that they told her that there is no such thing as "starvation mode". It makes total sense, too, at least it did for me because I always thought about this: you can't tell me that if i ate 500 calories every single day, that eventually, I would stop losing weight. That's not even rational! You're going to tell me that a 250 pound person who all of a sudden only eats like 1,000 calories MAX per day will absolutely stop losing weight once they hit like 180? Even though they're eating so little calories? NO! So the answer is, there is no such thing as starvation mode. It's true! I hope this helps you. I'm 17 and I'm doing this too. It's really useful, and it makes so much sense. Just think about it.
    =]

Please don't come on here and make this your first post.

A 250 lb person would lose weight at 1000 calories a day. Do some research on any medical site.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Lose the weight and be healthy. That is the goal of this site. Not starving to lose weight.
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My mom is a part of weight watchers, and she told me that they told her that there is no such thing as "starvation mode". It makes total sense, too, at least it did for me because I always thought about this: you can't tell me that if i ate 500 calories every single day, that eventually, I would stop losing weight. That's not even rational! You're going to tell me that a 250 pound person who all of a sudden only eats like 1,000 calories MAX per day will absolutely stop losing weight once they hit like 180? Even though they're eating so little calories? NO! So the answer is, there is no such thing as starvation mode. It's true! I hope this helps you. I'm 17 and I'm doing this too. It's really useful, and it makes so much sense. Just think about it.
    =]

A 250 lb person would lose weight at 1000 calories a day. Do some research on any medical site.

Rock on cmriverside!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Read this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

There's a section a little ways down (not quite half way) that's titled "So What's the Solution" - this would be the answer to your question, specifically (though I recommend reading the whole thing!). Basically - you need to eat more, but don't be discouraged if the scale goes up a little - this is just your body adjusting to the changes. It will take time, but you will see progress eventually.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    =]

this is so ridiculous. i'm thinking about it, and i'm thinking WW just told your mom that so she can keep giving them her money.

believe it or not, even if you sit around and do nothing all day your body is burning calories. if your body doesn't have enough energy (calories eaten) each day, your body will start storing fat, which is what we are all trying to lose.

get real
  • mmaaddyy
    Options
  • cmriverside
    Options
    =]

Rock on cmriverside!

I don't know why this person is giving advice that is so obviously not true. Oh....they're 17. :noway:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    you know what, just be quiet and keep dieting.

It's unfortuante you got upset - this is an opportunity for you to learn what people mean by starvation mode. Most of us do not claim that it will cause people to suddently stop losing weight - but that doesn't mean it's not real and isn't not bad.

What's referred to as starvation mode on here really means that you've entered a state where your body is so used to getting so few calories that it decreases your metabolism (forces your body to run on fewer calories). This is bad, because it can slow weight loss but it also makes it easier to gain weight once you start eating normally. For example - if my body ran on 2200 calories now, but I went into starvation mode and now it only runs on 1600 calories/day, then eating 1800 calories per day will cause me to gain weight after starvation mode when it would help me lose weight before.

Here's a great post that explains the whole starvation mode thing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69708-calorie-deficit-for-dummies-a-little-long
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Any bodybuilder authored book will tell you that starvation mode is very real. Bing search: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. This book is by far the best healthy weightloss book I've read.
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks all : ) I will be more careful in the future.
  • mmaaddyy
    Options
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Any bodybuilder authored book will tell you that starvation mode is very real. Bing search: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. This book is by far the best healthy weightloss book I've read.

Good reference. I wouldn't be where I am today without this book.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Get it, Read it, Live it!!
  • My mom is a part of weight watchers, and she told me that they told her that there is no such thing as "starvation mode". It makes total sense, too, at least it did for me because I always thought about this: you can't tell me that if i ate 500 calories every single day, that eventually, I would stop losing weight. That's not even rational! You're going to tell me that a 250 pound person who all of a sudden only eats like 1,000 calories MAX per day will absolutely stop losing weight once they hit like 180? Even though they're eating so little calories? NO! So the answer is, there is no such thing as starvation mode. It's true! I hope this helps you. I'm 17 and I'm doing this too. It's really useful, and it makes so much sense. Just think about it.
    =]
    ]

Whoever that leader is at WW should be reported. My sister has been a WW leader for 5 years now and I was talking to her a few weeks back about how I wanted to eat around 1,000 calories a day. She told me not to do it, it will only slow my weightloss eventually and that I need to eat more calories.

Whoever the WW Leader is that told your mom that shouldn't be a leader.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Additionally I might add. I was actually in starvation mode for a while and have since managed to slowly work out of it. It took about a month. Increased my Eating by about 500 calories. Increased my water intake and tried very hard to leave my exercise the same.

Eat all your calories. Eating less worked for a while but I never lost extra weight because of it. but I did lose a month trying to fix what I broke.